Windows 10 causing system crashes


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Windows 10 causing system crashes


    Hi everyone,

    Just before I start, I thought i'd mention that this is a sort of last resort so hopefully someone on here has more knowledge than the people who have already looked into this issue. OK....

    I've got a custom built gaming pc which was running windows 7, ran perfectly for around 2 years, got offered the free upgrade to windows 10 so obviously took it..

    It was around a month after the install that my computer cut off and restarted on its own, which I thought nothing of, possibly a program crashed and caused a cut-off or something. So that was that, it came back on and it was fine, for another month...

    After the 2nd cut out (2 months after upgrade to windows 10) I then took it to my local computer shop, mentioned that its been cutting out ever since upgrade, and they tested the CPU, RAM etc with 3DMARK and results came back fine, and the problem is aswell that it never cut out whilst in their hands.
    After being told theres nothing wrong with the hardware, they said to monitor the problem and keep them updated.

    6 months down the line...

    Cut outs are now happening intermittently, it can be on for 10 mins and cut out, and it can stay on for hours and cut out, but are obviously doing it a lot more frequently than at first. So I decided to try another computer shop to check the hardware, so they disassembled the computer, tested every component, and put it back together, again reported no faults with hardware. They reported that the copy of windows 10 that's installed is corrupted beyond repair, and a fresh install of windows may be required, and they asked for my product key, which after moving house I cannot find for the life of me.

    I've had 4 remote access sessions with Microsoft and everything they've tried hasn't worked (one guy downloaded the ISO files and told me to install it myself because he's due for his lunch break !!!!!!

    I've tried the in-place upgrade, and after this, my comuter tried to start 3 ties, then came up with an error saying windows is having a problem loading files, so I done the re-install whilst keeping files.

    Again this hasn't worked, is there anything else that can be done other than fresh installing windows as I cant find the product key! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
      My Computer

  2. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,742
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #2

    Well if you want to see your product key, here is the link, download the program, it will show you all your product keys for Windows.
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

    Once you find yours, write them down..... If you want to do a clean install, we have tutorials here to help you thur this process.

    You could try to a repair install before trying to do a clean install......here is a link for this process
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    And if you decide to do a clean install here is how.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    I have a custom built PC also and was having freezing issues. 1) I used "Showkey" to get my Windows 10 product key, 2) did a clean install of Windows 10, 3) then disabled AMD Quiet and Cool in BIOS, 4) found a MS driver that was not playing well with my system and replaced it with one from the manufacturer that worked and 5) stopped the system from powering down my USB ports and all of my issues have disappeared. Trust me, start with the 1 & 2 above....
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #4

    OldMike65 said:
    Well if you want to see your product key, here is the link, download the program, it will show you all your product keys for Windows.
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

    Once you find yours, write them down..... If you want to do a clean install, we have tutorials here to help you thur this process.

    You could try to a repair install before trying to do a clean install......here is a link for this process
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    And if you decide to do a clean install here is how.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
    Thanks for that info, had no idea there was a program to get your license key! Just to be clear, the program is showing the product key for windows 10, so if I do a clean install of win7, will that work with that key? or will it be a different key?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    AlphaStealthSYS said:
    I have a custom built PC also and was having freezing issues. 1) I used "Showkey" to get my Windows 10 product key, 2) did a clean install of Windows 10, 3) then disabled AMD Quiet and Cool in BIOS, 4) found a MS driver that was not playing well with my system and replaced it with one from the manufacturer that worked and 5) stopped the system from powering down my USB ports and all of my issues have disappeared. Trust me, start with the 1 & 2 above....
    Will give it a try thanks!
      My Computer

  6. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,742
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #6

    JackMassie1 said:
    Thanks for that info, had no idea there was a program to get your license key! Just to be clear, the program is showing the product key for windows 10, so if I do a clean install of win7, will that work with that key? or will it be a different key?
    Showkey will show you all of your product keys that are stored. It will show your windows 7 key.....it will display what keys are for what OS
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums