Poll: Do you want the Charms Bar back?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1.    06 Feb 2015 #41

    Hi there

    Even on a Touch laptop Charms are of limited use if you are primarily working in Desktop mode.

    Baring in mind that with the inevitable death of RT who is really going to be running Windows on any TOUCH ONLY type of device - apart from the phone so it doesn't really make sense.

    Concentrate on making the Touch parts of the OS that Integrate with Desktop functionality and then you've got a winner

    I have a Surface PRO SP3 and the only times I use it in purely "Tablet mode" is in Watching movies / streaming TV or giving presentations (power point demo for example).

    The rest of the time it's in DESKTOP mode with a docking station and nice large external monitor.

    I LIKE SOME touch functionality but for Windows it shouldn't be overdone.

    What WINDOWS devices these days are PURELY TOUCH ONLY. The smaller slabs are usually all ANDROID and sales of those are levelling off quickly. RT is also DEAD. The small screen of a phone wouldn't be useful for charms either.

    Lets forget charms --it was part of the disastrous W8 experiment which shold be put to bed. W8.1 was better but IMO W10 is the real NEW Windows.

    Cheers
    jimbo.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 16,465
    Windows 10
       06 Feb 2015 #42

    There are plenty of devices running windows that are touch only

    sales might be low compared to Android and iOS, but they are around

    I doubt the Surface line up of devices will do that well due to the price of them

    If MS don't want to cater for touch only devices (except the Surface) then they need to say so, from what I gather they want Windows to work on ALL devices from phone size upwards (and this includes touch only devices running full windows) and forcing a desktop UI on these devices will, IMO, kill them off
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Feb 2015 #43

    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    Expecting one GUI to work equally well on phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops is like expecting one vehicle to work equally well as mass transit, have the ability to haul 20 tons of cargo, and serve as a fuel efficient daily driver/grocery hauler.

    I still feel the only way for M$ to meet their goal is to have a lightweight base OS that one can add feature and GUI modules to, based on need and desire.
    Good analogy, Lady Fitzgerald.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Feb 2015 #44

    Coke Robot said: View Post
    I voted no, because the Windows 10 way of replacing it seems fine by me.

    What DOES NOT seem fine to me is that ugly hamburger button (even sounds disgusting) where the Charms are now at. It's silly to see the ... App commands and then all the Charms. It's redundant.

    What should be there is the ... for the Charms. Right click for those app commands or swipe down briefly on the top of the open window.

    Just, gross, hamburger button. Ugh. What's next? Hotdog switch? Ew.
    Snippet, Robot? I don't see a hamburger bun.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Feb 2015 #45

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Even on a Touch laptop Charms are of limited use if you are primarily working in Desktop mode.

    Baring in mind that with the inevitable death of RT who is really going to be running Windows on any TOUCH ONLY type of device - apart from the phone so it doesn't really make sense.

    Cheers
    jimbo.
    Guess what, Jimbo! Microsoft is working on Windows for Android tablets as we type!

    They're coming to get us haha, they're coming to get us . . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       06 Feb 2015 #46

    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    I still feel the only way for M$ to meet their goal is to have a lightweight base OS that one can add feature and GUI modules to, based on need and desire.
    I have been wishing for this for years, but MS doesn't seem to be very forthcoming.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 7,537
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       06 Feb 2015 #47

    I voted yes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       06 Feb 2015 #48

    LittleJay said: View Post
    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    I still feel the only way for M$ to meet their goal is to have a lightweight base OS that one can add feature and GUI modules to, based on need and desire.
    I have been wishing for this for years, but MS doesn't seem to be very forthcoming.
    Y'know, with the advent of Office for Windows 10, we may be a little closer to your wish then we think.

    Then again, how many of us would actually buy and expand a lightweight OS? Not moi, cuz I'd have the most gosh awful mess on my hands that gramma's lye soap wouldn't take off! I'd say, though, that at least 90% of the guys and gals here would take it on. The rest of the world? Who knows!

    Those like me would give up on their mess and just go out and get a full version of the OS. So it could be a win-win situation for Microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246
       06 Feb 2015 #49

    Wynona said: View Post
    LittleJay said: View Post
    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    I still feel the only way for M$ to meet their goal is to have a lightweight base OS that one can add feature and GUI modules to, based on need and desire.
    I have been wishing for this for years, but MS doesn't seem to be very forthcoming.
    Y'know, with the advent of Office for Windows 10, we may be a little closer to your wish then we think.

    Then again, how many of us would actually buy and expand a lightweight OS? Not moi, cuz I'd have the most gosh awful mess on my hands that gramma's lye soap wouldn't take off! I'd say, though, that at least 90% of the guys and gals here would take it on. The rest of the world? Who knows!

    Those like me would give up on their mess and just go out and get a full version of the OS. So it could be a win-win situation for Microsoft.
    That's probably what I would do, then I could pick and choose what I want to use or not. OEMs would probably be the ones determining what modules to add to a machine or device they are manufacturing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       06 Feb 2015 #50

    Wynona said: View Post
    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    Expecting one GUI to work equally well on phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops is like expecting one vehicle to work equally well as mass transit, have the ability to haul 20 tons of cargo, and serve as a fuel efficient daily driver/grocery hauler.

    I still feel the only way for M$ to meet their goal is to have a lightweight base OS that one can add feature and GUI modules to, based on need and desire.
    Good analogy, Lady Fitzgerald.
    Not really. The analogy is flawed because we're not talking about the difference between a car, truck, bus, semi-truck, etc.. we're talking about the *INTERFACE* used to control each.

    Each of those vehicles has a similar interface. They have a wheel, a gas pedal, a brake, in similar positions. They have other similarities as well, although they may have things that are unique to their specific modes. Now, a motorcycle has a VERY different interface than anything else, but this is because it has to be driven by your hands primarily to leave your feet free for stopping and balancing. It's not really the same argument for touch vs mouse as they are actually very similar.

    As I said, just because it hasn't worked so far doesn't mean it can never work. You are letting your past influence your future. You cannot predict what will be invented (or won't be). Maybe you're right.. but you may also be wrong. It would be wise to understand that you don't know what the future holds.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Likely to Bring Tablet Users Back to PCs, IDC..
More
Windows 10 News
Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again
Hi there This "update in place" mechanism is a PAIN if it fails during the process -- this means you actually have to restore the previous image of your OS (if you have one), remedy the error and start again. Mine failed because I was nearly...
General Support
Ms please bring back W8 search !!!
Hi there I have to agree with other posters who say the current W10 search is an absolute DOG - also the fact that I can hardly read the start menu (text size for me too small and I've found no way so far of being able to increase the size of the...
General Support
Threshold to Bring back Startmenu?
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/183445-windows-8-start-menu-resurrection-delayed-until-next-version-of-windows-in-2015
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums