No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 104
    Windows 10
       #1

    No ESD files showing in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?


    Trying to create an ISO from an ESD using the ESD to ISO tool so I can fix my DISM/Restorehealth issue with the build. Only issue I am having is there are no images in that folder and I can't go back to previous build either
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 0
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971
       #2

    You didn't say which build you are on. If you are not running an insider preview it would be easier to use the techbench iso for the source of an install.wim to use for DISM. You can find it in the tutorial forum here. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums .
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 104
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    JohnC said:
    You didn't say which build you are on. If you are not running an insider preview it would be easier to use the techbench iso for the source of an install.wim to use for DISM. You can find it in the tutorial forum here. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums .

    14257 is the build. This is ending up being a disaster. I tried the tech bench and it isn't allowing me to keep all of the files and APPS like I had done previously when I had been able to do an "upgrade" using the same build I already have installed.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 0
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971
       #4

    Files are listed alphabetically in the \Sources folder. Just keep scrolling down, install.esd should still be there. The techbench iso is for the consumer builds it is not what you want.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,578
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    I have read that install.esd is disappearing from Insider builds once the upgrade install is done. Therefore, I always copy the install.esd from the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources folder to the folder where I have the ESDtoISO.cmd file BEFORE I restart for the upgrade.

    Then I burn the iso to DVD, delete the iso and the extra install.esd, and run extended disk cleanup.

    I haven't checked if the install.esd is actually disappearing myself, I simply take that precaution.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,452
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #6

    The OP is referring to Insider Preview 14257 .
    I can confirm that the Install.esd is still in my Sources file.

    No ESD files showing in C:$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?-install.esd.jpg
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,578
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    davidhk said:
    The OP is referring to Insider Preview 14257 .
    I can confirm that the Install.esd is still in my Sources file.

    No ESD files showing in C:$Windows.~BT\Sources Anything I can do?-install.esd.jpg
    I was well aware which build the OP is referring to. Thanks for the confirmation.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,452
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #8

    Word Man said:
    I have read that install.esd is disappearing from Insider builds once the upgrade install is done. Therefore, I always copy the install.esd from the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources folder to the folder where I have the ESDtoISO.cmd file BEFORE I restart for the upgrade.

    .
    How do you do that ?
    On Insider Preview, new build is downloaded and installed by Windows Update.
    How to stop the Install process and copy the Install.esd first ?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,578
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    davidhk said:
    How do you do that ?
    On Insider Preview, new build is downloaded and installed by Windows Update.
    How to stop the Install process and copy the Install.esd first ?
    When it is prompting for a restart is when I do it. There is some discussion of when is the best time to do it in the thread following Kari's tutorial on his ESDtoISO tool but I haven't grasped every nuance since it's such a lengthy thread. However, the tool completes what appears to be a fully functional iso with an install.wim in the sources folder.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,452
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #10

    .......... when it prompts for restart..................

    OK. Thanks.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:19.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums