Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
       05 Feb 2016 #11

    davidhk said: View Post
    1st suggestion :
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt file. It will try to do repair if any found.

    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

    > press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

    If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    > press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.

    it ended with the #2 " successfully repaired..." but it didnt resolve the problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       05 Feb 2016 #12

    joeyTribbiani said: View Post
    it ended with the #2 " successfully repaired..." but it didnt resolve the problem.
    Perhaps a restart might improve ?

    Although sfc /scannow reports successful repair, it is no harm to run the dism command too.
    Would you care to give it a go ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 52
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       05 Feb 2016 #13

    Look under the following registry keys for a value named: NoChangeStartMenu

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer


    If it exists, change its data to 0 or simply delete it.

    Keith
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       07 Feb 2016 #14

    KeithM said: View Post
    Look under the following registry keys for a value named: NoChangeStartMenu

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer


    If it exists, change its data to 0 or simply delete it.

    Keith
    I have exactly the same problem as joeyTribbiani, can't pin, unpin, modify my icons (position, size), or change the group names, actually i cant do anything to personalize the start menu, and some icons have dissapeared leaving just a blank space, I have almost 1 month with this problem, but this is the first time that I see someone else having this problem, no one says anything about this, and I have tried almost every solution:
    - Already scanned with powershell, and got that no problems were registered.
    - Changed theme to default
    - Uninstalled avast antivirus
    - Restarted (way too many times)
    - Updates are up to date
    - Did the App Count, its 196 (So the 532 limit is way above my count)
    - Did safe boot without the network option
    - And did KeithM solution without luck. (Although under HKCU the folder "Explorer" didnt exist, so i created one, created the registry in there and checked the value as 0, and still no luck)
    If i find a solution I'll post it back in here, so please if you do too, mention it in this thread, because i havent found any other one mentioning this same problem.
    P.S. By the way, another weird thing that I noticed is that under Settings > Personalization > Start, the option "Show more Tiles" is grayed out, and it is turned off by default, so I cant change it to on.
    Last edited by FigueroaMX; 07 Feb 2016 at 21:47.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 4,340
    Windows 10 Pro X64 14393.576
       08 Feb 2016 #15

    joeyTribbiani said: View Post
    So that is my problem, those menu options are missing, only one option "more" is present.
    What do you see if you click on More? That's where I see the Pin option along with a few others.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start-More.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	63041
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
       08 Feb 2016 #16

    Ztruker said: View Post
    What do you see if you click on More? That's where I see the Pin option along with a few others.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start-More.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	63041
    Same as you. But I dont want to "pin to taskbar" I want to "pin to start". And the pin/unpin to start is not there (nor anywhere else).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
       08 Feb 2016 #17

    FigueroaMX said: View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as joeyTribbiani, can't pin, unpin, modify my icons (position, size), or change the group names, actually i cant do anything to personalize the start menu, and some icons have dissapeared leaving just a blank space, I have almost 1 month with this problem, but this is the first time that I see someone else having this problem, no one says anything about this, and I have tried almost every solution:
    - Already scanned with powershell, and got that no problems were registered.
    - Changed theme to default
    - Uninstalled avast antivirus
    - Restarted (way too many times)
    - Updates are up to date
    - Did the App Count, its 196 (So the 532 limit is way above my count)
    - Did safe boot without the network option
    - And did KeithM solution without luck. (Although under HKCU the folder "Explorer" didnt exist, so i created one, created the registry in there and checked the value as 0, and still no luck)
    If i find a solution I'll post it back in here, so please if you do too, mention it in this thread, because i havent found any other one mentioning this same problem.
    P.S. By the way, another weird thing that I noticed is that under Settings > Personalization > Start, the option "Show more Tiles" is grayed out, and it is turned off by default, so I cant change it to on.
    As you said FigueroaMX, under CurrentUser there were no "explorer"-value. And under the CurrentMachine there is no NoChangesStartMenu. Maybe if I create those. But what type should the NoChangesStartMenu be?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
       08 Feb 2016 #18

    I created the values in the registry according to KeithM. Created NoChangeStartMenu as DWORD and hex value 0. But still no luck. I will post if I find a solution. I think we are not the only ones with this problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
       08 Feb 2016 #19

    KeithM said: View Post
    Look under the following registry keys for a value named: NoChangeStartMenu

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer


    If it exists, change its data to 0 or simply delete it.

    Keith
    Did this. Well had to create NoChangeStartMenu (as DWORD with hex value 0) But no luck Thank you for the suggestion though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       08 Feb 2016 #20

    Yeah, on currentmachine there wasnt any file named nochangestartmenu, i created it also as DWORD, and wrote 0 as its value, but got no luck either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Right click often has blank context menu or partials?
I'm running Windows 10 x64.. with very little installed outside of Office 2013 and Visual Studio 2015. Every once in awhile I run into a situation where my right clicks no longer result in a context menu being visable.. at least mostly.....
General Support
Solved Pin/Unpin Options Missing on Right-Click Menu
Hi, I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 (x64) and I wanted to change my start menu tiles since I had a start menu as opposed to the start screen. Naturally, I tried right-clicking the tiles that were present and unpinning them from the start menu, but...
General Support
Solved New context menu - missing new excel worksheet?
Hi, after upgrading to new version of office (from 2013 to 2016) i have no new excel worksheet in new(folder) of context menu. Could please somebody help me out on this? I followed Shaun s tutorial for removing and reinstating New context menu...
General Support
Solved New update right click (context menu) is way too big.
i noticed like 2 updates ago that the new context menu size increased so much. now i have to scroll to see the bottom just to see proprieties and rename. its annoying id like the old context menu, is there a way to get the old menu back?
Customization
Solved Powershell Missing in Context Menu - FOUND!
Right-click on start button displays a context menu with a variety of system options. Until 10074, that could include Command Prompt or Powershell. In this build, Powershell seems to have disappeared, but not really. It is on the Quick Access...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums