Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    02 Feb 2015 #21
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,566
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Dog Search


    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Every iteration had to be learned, Win7 had a steep learning curve because it had so much power.
    IMO, the "Dog Search" (XP) was easier to use than any of the later Windows searches.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Feb 2015 #22
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Good point Bill.
    I was going to make a tutorial about 'How to get Cortana working properly' but, I can't get Cortana working properly enough to make a tutorial about how to get Cortana working properly!
    Edwin,

    Have you tried this:

    Hey Cortana, how do I get Cortana to work properly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Feb 2015 #23
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Every iteration had to be learned, Win7 had a steep learning curve because it had so much power.
    IMO, the "Dog Search" (XP) was easier to use than any of the later Windows searches.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lostDog.png 
Views:	219 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	11825

    Much easier, but not as powerful.
    The search agents in XP had a straight forward input dialog and changing of the scope of the search was simple. It took a while to adjust to the more powerful search options in Win7 (maybe search 4.0 in Vista - I don't recall).

    After a while I found Win7 search extremely useful (after figuring out that it was filename ext:filetype, not filenameDOTfiletype). - I was also glad to no longer hear the pouch barking, panting, or scratching
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Feb 2015 #24
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,464
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Good point Bill.
    I was going to make a tutorial about 'How to get Cortana working properly' but, I can't get Cortana working properly enough to make a tutorial about how to get Cortana working properly!
    Edwin,

    Have you tried this:

    Hey Cortana, how do I get Cortana to work properly.
    Hehe, yeah, fetches nothing but Cortana related Phone problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    02 Feb 2015 #25
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Scottsdale, AZ USA, 85254
    Posts : 315
    windows 10

    This may not be the right place for this; but here goes anyway: does anyone know if there is a way to sync my iphone calendar with the one in 10 somehow?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Feb 2015 #26
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Siegel View Post
    This may not be the right place for this; but here goes anyway: does anyone know if there is a way to sync my iphone calendar with the one in 10 somehow?
    You might get better response by starting a thread with your question, like this one: calendar sync?

    Not sure which sub-forum this fits, maybe in
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/ -or-
    https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/

    I started this thread so people could post tips / tricks they found. If you find the answer - you can post that tip / trick here

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    02 Feb 2015 #27
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,464
    Windows 10 Professional

    This isn't really a tip or a trick but this new Start Menu has got me baffled, so I did an experiment.
    I'm thinkin that this new Start Menu is still only half baked, for one; in the second place, I'm thinkin it's running off of some immersive engine of it's own, either that or the tiles (the elements) are merely cached elements or something like that.
    So anyway, I went and hid the whole damn C: Drive, and sure enough, in the old Start and Resizable UI's everything disappeared! (including 'Search' and it's annoyances-for those who wish to experiment )
    The only things that remained were Store, Settings and Desktop, of course.
    But, when I went back to the 'Expandable UI', everything was a mess; I could move tiles around, etc. but none would invoke an app!
    So, yeah..., there's probably a reason in there somewhere why nothing is working properly on the new Start Menu yet.
    That's all!
    Last edited by Edwin; 02 Feb 2015 at 23:06.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    03 Feb 2015 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    Quick access Start menu


    Pin All Users Start menu to Quick access

    Navigate to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Right click the Programs folder
    Pick Pin to Quick access

    Pin your private start menu to the Quick access

    Navigate to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Right click the Programs folder
    Pick Pin to Quick access

    Unfortunately Win10 doesn't combine the two menus in a single presentation.

    If you pin both, you'll have two Programs folders pinned - don't be tempted to rename them.
    You'll rename the actual folder and your Start Sreemenu will be fubar - oops! Just rename it back to Programs.

    Note: Be very careful with Quick access pins - you're working on live folders, not links.
    I deleted one and the actual folder was deleted
    Always use Unpin from Quick access - ALWAYS!

    Side note: Folder options, General tab -> Privacy : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tickNo_b.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	269 Bytes 
ID:	11832 show options,
    control what is presented in Quick access.
    Clearing both boxes and pressing Clear File Explorer history [Clear] removes objects from Quick access.

    I would expect pinned objects to remain - they're pins, not recent or frequent.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Feb 2015 #29
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,566
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Every iteration had to be learned, Win7 had a steep learning curve because it had so much power.
    IMO, the "Dog Search" (XP) was easier to use than any of the later Windows searches.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lostDog.png 
Views:	219 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	11825

    Much easier, but not as powerful.
    The search agents in XP had a straight forward input dialog and changing of the scope of the search was simple. It took a while to adjust to the more powerful search options in Win7 (maybe search 4.0 in Vista - I don't recall).

    After a while I found Win7 search extremely useful (after figuring out that it was filename ext:filetype, not filenameDOTfiletype). - I was also glad to no longer hear the pouch barking, panting, or scratching
    Expecting people to learn arcane code words means the average user is not likely to benefit from the increased power.

    A similar situation occurs with the Command Prompt, PowerShell and the Terminal in Linux.
    For a lot of tasks, the CLI is far more powerful than the GUI.
    OTOH, imagine how many people would still own PCs, tablets and phones, if they had to use a CLI instead of a GUI.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Feb 2015 #30
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Scottsdale, AZ USA, 85254
    Posts : 315
    windows 10

    I tried posting a separate thread bill; but; no one has bothered to respond for some reason. not sure why.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Siegel View Post
    This may not be the right place for this; but here goes anyway: does anyone know if there is a way to sync my iphone calendar with the one in 10 somehow?
    You might get better response by starting a thread with your question, like this one: calendar sync?

    Not sure which sub-forum this fits, maybe in
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/ -or-
    https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/

    I started this thread so people could post tips / tricks they found. If you find the answer - you can post that tip / trick here

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Tips and Tricks: Microsoft Edge, the Next Generation Browse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt0rH2SscGQ Microsoft Edge Browsing Data - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Microsoft Edge Cookies - Allow or Block in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums How to Turn On or Off Cortana in Microsoft Edge...
Windows 10 News
Windows 10: Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks
Source: EDIT: Sorry for the weird quote, I couldn't copy it very well. See also: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorialindex.php
Windows 10 News
6 tips for getting most from rechargeable Li-Ion batteries
Read more: Six tips for getting the most from your rechargeable batteries | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Did you know about these tricks ?
Things that MICROSOFT Could not Explain!TRY this.... MAGIC #1 Found that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the Computer which can be named as "CON". This is something funny and inexplicable? At Microsoft the whole Team, couldn't answer why...
Chillout Room
Hidden tricks and fixes in Windows 10 build 9879
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:21.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums