Windows 10: Desktop Background problems


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 over Win7
       29 Jan 2016 #1

    Desktop Background problems


    About 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to change my desktop background. I opened the Personalization Settings and notice it goes back and forth between Picture and Solid Color. So when I try to make a picture off the internet, or a screenshot from a PC game, it changes the desktop background/Wallpaper to solid color. If I try it again, it changes back to the previous wallpaper.

    I can however see different wallpapers with the SLIDESHOW function. I then turn off slideshow and back to picture and when I reboot windows it goes back to Solid Color. Also the same happens when exiting a PC game, and sometimes the wallpaper is super distorted except for about an inch along the top.

    So in short, I can't add any new wallpapers.

    Also I have the latest Win10 Update.

    Thank you,
    Todd
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,194
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       29 Jan 2016 #2

    Tuddley3 said: View Post
    About 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to change my desktop background. I opened the Personalization Settings and notice it goes back and forth between Picture and Solid Color. So when I try to make a picture off the internet, or a screenshot from a PC game, it changes the desktop background/Wallpaper to solid color. If I try it again, it changes back to the previous wallpaper.
    So in short, I can't add any new wallpapers.
    Also I have the latest Win10 Update.
    Thank you,
    Todd
    Try saving what picture you prefer to.....save as (by right clicking mouse).....in Pictures....go to Personalisation.....under choose your picture click on browse...then you can use your chosen background from Pictures.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 over Win7
    Thread Starter
       29 Jan 2016 #3

    dencal said: View Post
    Try saving what picture you prefer to.....save as (by right clicking mouse).....in Pictures....go to Personalisation.....under choose your picture click on browse...then you can use your chosen background from Pictures.
    Same thing happens. I chose a photo from the Pictures folder and selected it and it went immediately to Solid Color. So I clicked on the drop down list and chose Picture and it showed my old background.

    I appreciate your tip, thanks for trying.

    Another thing. When PICTURE is selected, there are 5 pictures to choose from. When I click on any of them it switches to SOLID COLOR. Even the little preview window shows the photo I want, but not on the desktop.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10 Wallpaper Problem 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	61427
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jan 2016 #4

    Tuddley3 said: View Post
    About 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to change my desktop background. I opened the Personalization Settings and notice it goes back and forth between Picture and Solid Color. So when I try to make a picture off the internet, or a screenshot from a PC game, it changes the desktop background/Wallpaper to solid color. If I try it again, it changes back to the previous wallpaper.

    Are you saying the new wallpaper? If you don't it reverts back to the old one. Also in Windows 10 if you login with your microsoft account it will change the wallpaper on all the devices you login with that account.

    I can however see different wallpapers with the SLIDESHOW function. I then turn off slideshow and back to picture and when I reboot windows it goes back to Solid Color. Also the same happens when exiting a PC game, and sometimes the wallpaper is super distorted except for about an inch along the top.

    So in short, I can't add any new wallpapers.

    Also I have the latest Win10 Update.

    Thank you,
    Todd
    Are you saving the Wallpaper? If you don't it revert back to the Wallpaper your trying to replace. Also if you are logging in using your Microsoft account it will change the wallpaper on every device you login to with that account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,194
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       29 Jan 2016 #5

    Can you do a Command Prompt (admin)...right click M$ cone....and copy paste the following to check all ok.
    sfc /scannow
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 16,105
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       29 Jan 2016 #6

    Just right click the background in the Pictures Library and choose "Set as desktop background" from the menu.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 003.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	515.4 KB 
ID:	61455
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved desktop background in Customization
Hi all,,,,,I have a bing desktop background photo that changes everyday and there is one or two that I would like to keep but, where can I find them? I have looked all over so I hope you can help please. Len
I've just upgraded to Windows 10 again ( 3rd time- I'm a sucker for punishment). My first problem surrounds the search function and although I can key in my search request there is no enter button to activate the search. Secondly I've tried several...
Solved Desktop background in Customization
:sick: How do I change the desktop background slideshow ? Or where is the theme pictures settings located ? On windows 7 they were on the same page, not so in win 10, they seem to be hidden.. Thanks for any help. :chuckle:
no desktop background in Customization
Hi, today when i booted up i noticed ive no desktop background, i can cycle through backgrounds and i can see borders changing color but my desktop stays black, ran sfc /scannow which it found/fixed errors but nothing to do with my issue, rebooted,...
I have a triple boot system: Win 7 HP 64bit, Win 8.1Pro, and Win 10 TP 6629. All updates are current. Each OS is on a separate SSD. Win 7 installed first, Win 8.1 second and Win 10 TP last. I believe the System Reserved partition in Win 10 TP...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:48.
Find Us