Changes made in the desktop folder doesn't change on the desktop.


  1. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       #1

    Changes made in the desktop folder doesn't change on the desktop.


    Hi! I'll describe my problem with an example. Let's say I'm moving a file to the desktop (the folder in Windows Explorer). When I then check the desktop, the file isn't there. My problem is that changes that are either made to the desktop or the desktop folder doesn't apply to the other one, so the desktop folder and the desktop itself looks different. How can I fix this?

    Sorry for the confusing explanation :/
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,683
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    So what is the issue?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 51
    Win 7
       #3

    There are multiple Desktop folder under the C:\User\Usernames folder. If you place a file in another users username Desktop folder you are right it won't show up in your Username Desktop folder.

    You can also put it in the "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop" folder and it will show up for every user.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,482
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #4

    Offended said:
    Hi! I'll describe my problem with an example. Let's say I'm moving a file to the desktop (the folder in Windows Explorer/
    right click on that icon in windows explorer and choose properties ,and choose location to see where it located , mine c:\users\home, home being the name I chose when creating the user
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #5

    Do the files appear correctly after you press F5?

    There have been issues reported with this but no real solution I'm afraid. Clean install worked for me but that was perhaps a coincidence.

    File Explorer Requiring Screen Refresh to Be Correct - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Desktop not updating - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    lx07 said:
    Do the files appear correctly after you press F5?

    There have been issues reported with this but no real solution I'm afraid. Clean install worked for me but that was perhaps a coincidence.

    File Explorer Requiring Screen Refresh to Be Correct - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Desktop not updating - Windows 10 Forums
    No, they dont :/ I "fixed it" by dragging the icons from the desktop to the folder and the desktop updated. It's shame that I need to do it. Oh well, that's the closest to a fix I can get to. Thanks for the responses!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #7

    Offended said:
    No, they dont :/ I "fixed it" by dragging the icons from the desktop to the folder and the desktop updated. It's shame that I need to do it. Oh well, that's the closest to a fix I can get to. Thanks for the responses!
    OK, Now you have me confused. How did you move the icons from the desktop to the folder if they didn't show on the desktop?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Winuser said:
    OK, Now you have me confused. How did you move the icons from the desktop to the folder if they didn't show on the desktop?
    I had some icons on the desktop that didn't appear in the desktop folder so I dragged those icons from the desktop to the folder. There's "two" sides of this problem, the first one is that a file is on the desktop but not in the folder and the second one is that a file is in the desktop folder but not on the desktop. Either way this thread can be closed since I found a way to deal with it. Thanks for the help!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5,482
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #9

    Offended said:
    I had some icons on the desktop that didn't appear in the desktop folder so I dragged those icons from the desktop to the folder. There's "two" sides of this problem, the first one is that a file is on the desktop but not in the folder and the second one is that a file is in the desktop folder but not on the desktop. Either way this thread can be closed since I found a way to deal with it. Thanks for the help!
    great news , you can check off solved on your screen when you go to this thread,
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums