9926 Recovery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       #1

    9926 Recovery


    I posted this in another thread, but thought folks should be aware of a change to Recovery options in the 9926 build

    I just ran Disk Cleanup and it removed 5.89 GB of data. This data is your roll back data. I don't know how many members would roll back instead of a fresh install, but some might test it.

    If you clean up the previous Windows data, you lose the capability to perform a roll back.

    Insider Hub: Known issues
    Install
    • After installing this build, you may see a boot selection menu each time you reboot your PC. This is because a second boot option has been added for uninstalling the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

    • If you do nothing when you get to this screen, it will automatically boot to the Windows 10 Technical Preview within 30 seconds by default (you can change the default). You can also choose to uninstall Tech Preview through this boot selection screen to get back up and running. Don’t worry—this behavior is only temporary. In future builds, you’ll be able to uninstall through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

    • If you would like to remove the uninstall option from the boot up experience, do the following:
      1. From the Start menu or the Search icon, search for cmd.
      2. Press and hold or right-click Command Prompt from the search results, then select Run as administrator.
      3. Type bcdedit /timeout 0 at the command prompt and hit Enter.


      You can get the uninstall option back in the boot menu by following these steps again, but change the timeout value to something between 1 and 30, instead of zero.]
    It is intentional for the 9926 release - they must be working on WinRE and it wasn't ready in time.

      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,280
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #2

    I am one of those who don't Rollback. In fact, I also don't upgrade online. I always do clean install. But since I have the advantage of internet speed, before I do clean install I also try online upgrade first just to have an idea of how it goes for every build. Then play with it a little and then wipe it out for a clean install.
    Currently, my backup approach is cloning. Instead of image recovery, I keep a clean installation on a separate drive for "rolling back" (re-clone).
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #3

    After a blue screen/chkdsk lap or two it changes to Recovery instead of Rollback.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter
       #4

    wptski said:
    After a blue screen/chkdsk lap or two it changes to Recovery instead of Rollback.
    Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

    Care to elaborate?

    I guess I should have waited and tested a bit more before changing the timeout and cleaning up.
    I wonder what will happen if I set the timeout to 10 and try the boot option?

    Hmmm, maybe later.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #5

    Slartybart said:
    wptski said:
    After a blue screen/chkdsk lap or two it changes to Recovery instead of Rollback.
    Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

    Care to elaborate?

    I guess I should have waited and tested a bit more before changing the timeout and cleaning up.
    I wonder what will happen if I set the timeout to 10 and try the boot option?

    Hmmm, maybe later.
    I get that at every reboot/shutdown and I have W7/W10 on separate physical HDs. I had the same issue on a earlier build caused by a Logitec driver. I did add one thing to this build that didn't work on 9879 but works on this build so if it'll boot up again, I'll remove that app.

    I'm wondering what to boot into now, W10 or W10 Recovery? I "think" that I've tried both now.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 386
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       #6

    Well, I found out tonight how good the Recovery is on Win-10.

    Things were just going along smoothly when I did a reboot and after the reboot, I had no mouse or keyboard.
    So I just shut off the PC at the power strip on my desk.

    On restarting, the OS went into an Auto Recovery procedure. It only took a couple of minutes, and when it rebooted, all was OK again.
    But just in case it doesn't recover, the next time there is a problem, I broke out my trusty Ghost 11.5 CD, booted up the PC with it and did a Ghost backup of W-10 to a secondary partition on the same drive.
    Then just for safety, I let Ghost do a "Check" of the backup Image file.
    Now I can add Windows 10 to the number of OS's that I've used Ghost to back up.

    When you're trying out something new, it's always good to have a Backup Image File, in the can, so to speak.

    My first install of W-10 was more or less a disaster. But my second install has gone pretty well, except for that one glitch.

    Cheers Mates!
    TechnoMage
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,280
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #7

    TechnoMage said:
    Well, I found out tonight how good the Recovery is on Win-10.

    Things were just going along smoothly when I did a reboot and after the reboot, I had no mouse or keyboard.
    So I just shut off the PC at the power strip on my desk.

    On restarting, the OS went into an Auto Recovery procedure. It only took a couple of minutes, and when it rebooted, all was OK again.
    But just in case it doesn't recover, the next time there is a problem, I broke out my trusty Ghost 11.5 CD, booted up the PC with it and did a Ghost backup of W-10 to a secondary partition on the same drive.
    Then just for safety, I let Ghost do a "Check" of the backup Image file.
    Now I can add Windows 10 to the number of OS's that I've used Ghost to back up.

    When you're trying out something new, it's always good to have a Backup Image File, in the can, so to speak.

    My first install of W-10 was more or less a disaster. But my second install has gone pretty well, except for that one glitch.

    Cheers Mates!
    TechnoMage
    Totally agree with you there TM regarding image backups. I always make backup images of all my OSes. Except for this Win 10 tech preview. I find it too buggy sometimes that even recovering image is a game of chance. It will fix one thing but breaks another. Clean install is always the best solution for me. That's why I just rely on a clean install copy on a separate drive. Maybe I will go back to using images later when 10 is fully polished.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter
       #8

    wptski said:
    Slartybart said:
    wptski said:
    After a blue screen/chkdsk lap or two it changes to Recovery instead of Rollback.
    Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

    Care to elaborate?

    I guess I should have waited and tested a bit more before changing the timeout and cleaning up.
    I wonder what will happen if I set the timeout to 10 and try the boot option?

    Hmmm, maybe later.
    I get that at every reboot/shutdown and I have W7/W10 on separate physical HDs. I had the same issue on a earlier build caused by a Logitec driver. I did add one thing to this build that didn't work on 9879 but works on this build so if it'll boot up again, I'll remove that app.

    I'm wondering what to boot into now, W10 or W10 Recovery? I "think" that I've tried both now.
    You get what every reboot/shutdown? The boot option screen?

    You're supposed to get that screen in build 9926. Did you not read the Insider Hub: Known Issues information in post# 1?
    Known issues doesn't always mean a bug, it can also be just an heads up - like this one.

    Why choose, the boot option is only 30 seconds and then Windows boots normally.
    If you don't need to Roll Back or uninstall, then the top option (the default) is the one you should select if you get tired of waiting 30 seconds.
      My Computer


  9. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #9

    My backup strategy is simple - I just keep copies of my VMware Player folders. Running and testing is sooo much easier in VMware. No elaborate setups needed.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #10

    Slartybart said:
    wptski said:
    Slartybart said:
    wptski said:
    After a blue screen/chkdsk lap or two it changes to Recovery instead of Rollback.
    Blue screen? BSOD??
    chkdsk lap or two?

    Care to elaborate?

    I guess I should have waited and tested a bit more before changing the timeout and cleaning up.
    I wonder what will happen if I set the timeout to 10 and try the boot option?

    Hmmm, maybe later.
    I get that at every reboot/shutdown and I have W7/W10 on separate physical HDs. I had the same issue on a earlier build caused by a Logitec driver. I did add one thing to this build that didn't work on 9879 but works on this build so if it'll boot up again, I'll remove that app.

    I'm wondering what to boot into now, W10 or W10 Recovery? I "think" that I've tried both now.
    You get what every reboot/shutdown? The boot option screen?

    You're supposed to get that screen in build 9926. Did you not read the Insider Hub: Known Issues information in post# 1?
    Known issues doesn't always mean a bug, it can also be just an heads up - like this one.

    Why choose, the boot option is only 30 seconds and then Windows boots normally.
    If you don't need to Roll Back or uninstall, then the top option (the default) is the one you should select if you get tired of waiting 30 seconds.
    I mean a blue screen(BSOD) and it wants to reboot where is does a CHKDSK. After the first crash I "assume" the Rollback became Recovery with the proper drive letter or E: in my case and its name being Windows Pro Technical Preview. The old version is listed as Windows Technical Preview with drive letter C: like this (C:). Sit appears that I have a good chunk of my HD with a trashed OS for the time being anyway. I have a VHD backup from a third party app of 9879 waiting in the wings.

    I just remove an app that I added for the first time on the build and I deleted the %temp% folder where most if not all the messed files are located. It wouldn't let me delete one file(wtct5c25.tmp). I remember on 9879 I could delete all files from %temp%.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums