Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    27 Jan 2015 #11
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    It sounds to me as though your system has issues that are being manifest by you doing a Win10 install.

    BSOD - post a thread in the BSOD section, there might be a hardware issue
    https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/
    When you post there, please follow the instructions in this tutorial:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions

    CHKDSK - sounds as though your drive might have severe corruption or be failing
    post a thread in https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/

    There are two issues that need correcting before you attempt another Win10 install
    I'd like to keep the focus of this thread on the original topic - a new boot screen might be seen.

    Thanks,

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Jan 2015 #12
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,537
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    Backups why,i do believe we will have to start over after the prievew is done anyway ,so i dont backup anything as i am only using win10 for fun, not work of anykind ,so when a disaster strikes i will just reinstall win10.
    and when the free win10 becomes avaible i will do it on a fresh install of win8.1
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Jan 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1
    Android

    I did a system restore for various reasons while on the new build.. Once it was completed I can no longer use the start button or notification button.. They are still present but nothing happens when I press them... Do I reinstall the new build?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Jan 2015 #14
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    Slartybart I just would like to add I have rolled back the 10 installs on 2 (REAL) machines a Toshiba laptop with 7 Ultimate and a desktop dual booter Ultimate 7 and Windows 8.1 Pro with Media center. The roll backs worked perfectly and takes a few mins on SSD, except for 2 icons (not default on taskbar) did not return to the taskbar. I feel it is important to test out this aspect of the upgrade to 10. I did have full images but this is looking really good. Now if they would add Aero and Windows 7 mode and a Windows 2000 mode and have a remove METRO Apps button I would upgrade with no hesitation.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    27 Jan 2015 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Spready View Post
    I did a system restore for various reasons while on the new build.. Once it was completed I can no longer use the start button or notification button.. They are still present but nothing happens when I press them... Do I reinstall the new build?
    Why not test the refresh since this seems to be one of those times it would come in handy
    Settings -> Recovery -> Refresh

    Then if needed, a reinstall.
    Last edited by Slartybart; 27 Jan 2015 at 18:35.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Jan 2015 #16
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    Slartybart I just would like to add I have rolled back the 10 installs on 2 (REAL) machines a Toshiba laptop with 7 Ultimate and a desktop dual booter Ultimate 7 and Windows 8.1 Pro with Media center. The roll backs worked perfectly and takes a few mins on SSD, except for 2 icons (not default on taskbar) did not return to the taskbar. I feel it is important to test out this aspect of the upgrade to 10. I did have full images but this is looking really good. Now if they would add Aero and Windows 7 mode and a Windows 2000 mode and have a remove METRO Apps button I would upgrade with no hesitation.
    Thanks Tony, it's good to know.

    I wrote this thread because the recovery method in 9926 is a temporary measure, but everybody seems to miss that finer point
    Maybe they don't miss it at all, everyone also thinks this is a good thread to post about 9926 recovery.
    Makes sense to me now that I think about it

    The text came from the Insider hub: known issues - users might see the boot screen with a Rollback option.
    This 9926 Rollback method is not the what MS intends for Win10 - they will use WinRE - at least that's what the insider hub says.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is you should test the Recovery method in the next release too, or whenever they finish the changes to WinRE. You might already plan to test it in every release.

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 Jan 2015 #17
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    My backup strategy is simple - I just keep copies of my VMware Player folders. Running and testing is sooo much easier in VMware. No elaborate setups needed.
    What is a folder? A special VMware backup thing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    27 Jan 2015 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-27 18_31_03-V__Virtual Machines_VM Ware Virtual Machines.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	11163

    This is all we do when we want to mess with a VM in a big way. You make a copy of the folder and then you can screw up the original VM.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    27 Jan 2015 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    My backup strategy is simple - I just keep copies of my VMware Player folders. Running and testing is sooo much easier in VMware. No elaborate setups needed.
    What is a folder? A special VMware backup thing?
    All my virtual systems running under VMware Player are just folders. That's how VMware sets them up. Here is part of my collection.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-27_1837.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	11165
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    27 Jan 2015 #20
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,660
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    My backup strategy is simple - I just keep copies of my VMware Player folders. Running and testing is sooo much easier in VMware. No elaborate setups needed.
    What is a folder? A special VMware backup thing?
    All my virtual systems running under VMware Player are just folders. That's how VMware sets them up. Here is part of my collection.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-27_1837.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	11165
    And this is how I backup mine on physical drives. HDDs for backups. SSDs for running the OSes. This is part my collection.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hard_drives02.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	11169
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Recovery Folder in C:\
Hi, After upgrading to Windows 10, I noticed a "Recovery" folder in C:\ in addition to "Windows.old" (which I already deleted). Before I delete it, I just want to ensure that it is an extra file in Windows 10 and not a normal one that is in every...
General Support
recovery environment?
Hi guys; what is "recovery environment" that comes up when booting win 10TP?
General Support
Solved Original Factory Recovery
I have a Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop that I did a clean install of Windows 10 TR 9926. Is there anyway to get back to Drive D: which has the original factory programs etc. on it and re install it and take off windows 10. Larry
Installation and Upgrade
Creating USB Recovery Drive
Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files. I had several BSODs...
General Support
Recovery - Refresh 9879
Has anyone been able to "Refresh" on build 9879? Part of testing this out is all the functionality. I changed some things in the system and was going to do a "Refresh" to correct but to my surprise it goes through the process, reboots and then tells...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums