Windows 7 & Windows 8 Users Can Now Upgrade to Windows 10

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,793
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Dude said:
    Not at all Jesse, the choice is yours. Read the tutorials, try a virtual version, or dual boot. It's your choice. I did not mean to offend you.
    Do you mind checking out my 8.1 upgrade assistant file that I uploaded to see if my system is compatible with 10 and the 10 technical preview?
      My Computers

  2. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,818
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #12

    If your pc can run 8.1 it can run 10.
      My Computers

  3. Dude's Avatar
    Posts : 15,065
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #13

    go for it!
      My Computers

  4. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,793
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #14

    AddRAM said:
    If your pc can run 8.1 it can run 10.
    It said it can. Just a little bit nervous about installing the preview. I don't know whether to install on my machine, in a virtual box, or dual boot. If install it in a virtual box, supposedly it will take up hard drive space, if install it on my system, I am afraid it might crash my system, and I really don't like the idea of installing it by dual boot, because I don't like running 2 operating systems on my system. Need help here, as I am confused.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,520
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #15

    Jesse Williams said:
    Now, can you or someone look at this link https://gigaom.com/2015/01/26/got-a-...e-some-effort/? I have an Acer. Is it considered a low-cost laptop?
    That article is highlighting an issue with computers where a technology called WIMBoot (or Windows Image File Boot) has been used to free up as much space as possible on computers with small disk drives (usually solid state drives).

    There is info on this link which would let you find out if this applies to your computer:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn631790.aspx
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 41
    Windows 10
       #16

    As I can understand I can upgrade to Windows 10, but WILL lose my programs and data? Same goes if I restore since the PC came with Windows 8.1?
      My Computer

  7. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,793
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Says WIM is an invalid file.
      My Computers

  8. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,793
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #18

    DavidY said:
    Jesse Williams said:
    Now, can you or someone look at this link https://gigaom.com/2015/01/26/got-a-...e-some-effort/? I have an Acer. Is it considered a low-cost laptop?
    That article is highlighting an issue with computers where a technology called WIMBoot (or Windows Image File Boot) has been used to free up as much space as possible on computers with small disk drives (usually solid state drives).

    There is info on this link which would let you find out if this applies to your computer:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn631790.aspx
    I did what the link said, and it said that WIM is an invalid parameter.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,520
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #19

    Jesse Williams said:
    I did what the link said, and it said that WIM is an invalid parameter.
    What does it say if you use Method 1 on that link? (Which is to look at Disk Management.)
      My Computer

  10. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,793
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #20

    I think I know why it said that. I was on my Windows 7 laptop. The article said it applies to Windows 8.1. Checking my 8.1 desktop now.
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums