1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       14 Jan 2016 #1

    Unable to un-pin Cortana from Taskbar?


    I'm a minimalist, preferring not to clutter up my screen with all kinds of icons, etc.

    I used to have Cortana hidden off screen, but still able to respond to me if I said; "Hey, Cortana."
    Now, recently, the icon has popped up on my taskbar, and when I go to change it, hide it, etc. I only get the options of "Show App Icons" "Show All Notification Icons" and "Show Touch Keyboard Button"


    Uhm.... What?

    I want to use Cortana, but cut down on all of the icons on my desktop screen. I don't think it was this way before the recent W10 update.

    I could use some help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    14 Jan 2016 #2

    Silverhand92 said: View Post
    I'm a minimalist, preferring not to clutter up my screen with all kinds of icons, etc.

    I used to have Cortana hidden off screen, but still able to respond to me if I said; "Hey, Cortana."
    Now, recently, the icon has popped up on my taskbar, and when I go to change it, hide it, etc. I only get the options of "Show App Icons" "Show All Notification Icons" and "Show Touch Keyboard Button"


    Uhm.... What?

    I want to use Cortana, but cut down on all of the icons on my desktop screen. I don't think it was this way before the recent W10 update.

    I could use some help.
    I think you're in 'Tablet Mode',
    if you switch to Desktop Mode, your taskbar right click options should give you the ability to 'hide' Cortana.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,458
    Windows10
       14 Jan 2016 #3

    Edwin said: View Post
    I think you're in 'Tablet Mode',
    if you switch to Desktop Mode, your taskbar right click options should give you the ability to 'hide' Cortana.
    Hmm . Has something changed?

    I have Cortana hidden in desktop mode, but it is now always visible in tablet mode.

    I do not recollect that being the case before, but maybe I just never noticed until I saw this thread?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    14 Jan 2016 #4

    cereberus said: View Post
    Hmm . Has something changed?

    I have Cortana hidden in desktop mode, but it is now always visible in tablet mode.

    I do not recollect that being the case before, but maybe I just never noticed until I saw this thread?
    This is all I can reduce it to in Tablet Mode:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000006.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	851 Bytes 
ID:	58804
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       14 Jan 2016 #5

    if you switch to Desktop Mode, your taskbar right click options should give you the ability to 'hide' Cortana.
    Thanks! I've been looking for that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cortana Taskbar Tidbits - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
How to Turn On or Off Cortana Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10 Cortana is your clever new personal assistant. Cortana will help you find things on your PC, manage your calendar, track packages, find files, chat with you, and tell jokes. The more...
Tutorials
Unable to use taskbar function when create new user account
When I created a new user account, be it a local admin or standard user account or even logged in using Windows ID account, it all resulted with the same issue. I have no functionality of the taskbar at all. Not when clicking with my mouse or...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Can't Right Click Taskbar or Use Cortana/Start
So I've tried so many things to fix this, spent hours searching every google forum, and can't find ANYTHING that will help me. There's another post on here where you put a command in powershell and that doesn't seem to be working. Some people say...
General Support
Windows 10 Taskbar unable to customize
After some time of trying out Windows 10, I've realized that for some reason I am unable to customize the taskbar in Windows 10. I've tried dragging shortcuts to "Pin to Start menu", but to no avail. I have also tried unpinning items from the...
General Support
Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account
Hi I've upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying to set up Cortana (in UK) and I'm stuck with a sign in problem with MS account. I know my MS account password but the next window asks for my previous password, which I don't remember. In fact, I...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums