Windows 10: Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 16
    Win 10 Pro x64, Insider Preview and Prod.
       02 Feb 2015 #21

    For some reason when I tried to install WIN10 on a separate drive from 8.1 and 7, I got an error message. To workaround that error message, I disconnected all drives with an OS installed and then installed WIN10. I then connected the drives with 8.1 and 7, when it is boot time I enter my BIOS and change the drive with the boot manager installed for the OS I want to boot. I now have 2 WIN10 (current build and previous) and WIN8.1 and everybody is fat and happy.

    Harold
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,037
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       02 Feb 2015 #22

    And that`s the way to do it .

    It keeps all the drives independent from one another.

    Very Good
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 16
    Win 10 Pro x64, Insider Preview and Prod.
       02 Feb 2015 #23

    The drive which is loaded with an OS has nothing but the OS loaded. My other files are split across 3 other drives, which holds files that can be shared, like my Outlook.pst. That way I can use my Outlook on any OS booted at that moment.

    Harold
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 791
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       02 Feb 2015 #24

    AddRAM said: View Post
    You have to hide the update to check if your pc will run 10, you probably ran it without even realizing it.

    Always set your updates to " Let windows check for updates but to let you decide whether to download and install them"

    I`m not sure what the update number is, I hid it a long time ago, there are threads on it and maybe another member will post it.

    Search here:

    https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/
    Was this a windows update, like a patch? I will have to start looking up KB numbers, I suppose.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,037
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       02 Feb 2015 #25

    Yes, there is an update to check to see if your pc can run windows 10, after you run that update your pc will upgrade to 10.

    I have no clue why MS would offer an upgrade to a preview on a licensed OS, just crazy

    You have to uninstall that update, then run windows update, when it shows up again, you simply uncheck and hide it.

    Please send feedback asking them to remove it, I already have
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 21,930
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       02 Feb 2015 #26

    Kevin said: View Post
    I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in my computer to keep from messing up my Windows 7 installation. It appears windows 10 still makes changes to windows 7 even on a separate hard drive. See attached picture. I can not correct this using the system repair disk or the original install disk because it tells me it is the wrong operating system any idea how to correct this? I tried to make a new system restore disk and it tell me the disk is for technical preview x64! even though im making it in windows 7. (See Pic) The disk windows ten was installed on was removed from my machine when I tried to make the system repair disk from the picture.
    Attachment 10992
    Had a similar issue with dual boot win7 and 10tp on same internal HDD. Advice of "Don't let them look at each other" is sound, indeed. What can happen is the earlier version (win7 in this case) is seen by 10tp as a threat and 10tp will, among other potential nasties, zap the restore points on win7. Short of disconnecting drives, not a choice in my case, take the drives "offline" via regedit.

    The OS (C) on 10tp will see another drive containing the win7 OS(perhaps D) and possibly attack it. The same can happen in reverse, but not as likely. See attached example of .reg file. Modify it on 10tp to the drive letter it "sees" as win7, apply and reboot. Do the same on Win7 for the drive it sees as 10tp. After all done, both sides will just see a "local drive" which is "offline".

    Only negative i've seen is bitlocker may cough at the offline drives at boot cause cryptographic service is trying to validate it. Does not cause any issues, I've had it this way on my box since 9841 in October.

    Good luck!
    Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7 Attached Files
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    18 Feb 2015 #27

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Had a similar issue with dual boot win7 and 10tp on same internal HDD. Advice of "Don't let them look at each other" is sound, indeed. What can happen is the earlier version (win7 in this case) is seen by 10tp as a threat and 10tp will, among other potential nasties, zap the restore points on win7. Short of disconnecting drives, not a choice in my case, take the drives "offline" via regedit.

    The OS (C) on 10tp will see another drive containing the win7 OS(perhaps D) and possibly attack it. The same can happen in reverse, but not as likely. See attached example of .reg file. Modify it on 10tp to the drive letter it "sees" as win7, apply and reboot. Do the same on Win7 for the drive it sees as 10tp. After all done, both sides will just see a "local drive" which is "offline".

    Only negative i've seen is bitlocker may cough at the offline drives at boot cause cryptographic service is trying to validate it. Does not cause any issues, I've had it this way on my box since 9841 in October.

    Good luck!
    Looked at the REG file. Is that HEX value of "1" on both drives? I've seen some posts that suggest a "1" on one and a "0" on the other and in the Windows Seven Forum they suggest a "1" on the drive that retains the restore points "only".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 21,930
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       18 Feb 2015 #28

    wptski said: View Post
    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Had a similar issue with dual boot win7 and 10tp on same internal HDD. Advice of "Don't let them look at each other" is sound, indeed. What can happen is the earlier version (win7 in this case) is seen by 10tp as a threat and 10tp will, among other potential nasties, zap the restore points on win7. Short of disconnecting drives, not a choice in my case, take the drives "offline" via regedit.

    The OS (C) on 10tp will see another drive containing the win7 OS(perhaps D) and possibly attack it. The same can happen in reverse, but not as likely. See attached example of .reg file. Modify it on 10tp to the drive letter it "sees" as win7, apply and reboot. Do the same on Win7 for the drive it sees as 10tp. After all done, both sides will just see a "local drive" which is "offline".

    Only negative i've seen is bitlocker may cough at the offline drives at boot cause cryptographic service is trying to validate it. Does not cause any issues, I've had it this way on my box since 9841 in October.

    Good luck!
    Looked at the REG file. Is that HEX value of "1" on both drives? I've seen some posts that suggest a "1" on one and a "0" on the other and in the Windows Seven Forum they suggest a "1" on the drive that retains the restore points "only".
    0x00000000 for offline value will keep it ONLINE. 0x00000001 for offline value will make it OFFLINE.

    the 0 and 1 is used to enable/disable the offline status. Sounds backwards, but it's for triggering the function.

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline]
    "\\DosDevices\\C:"=dword:00000001

    will make the "C" drive appear OFFLINE. This would be the reg key used on the drive/partition of Win 10.

    The "C" will be need to be changed to whatever Win 10 "sees" the Win 7 OS drive/partition to be.

    And, vice-versa...... on the WIN 7 side, change the "C" to whatever Win 7 "sees" the Win 10 OS drive/partition to be.

    clear as mud, right! It works.

    P.S. - The reason for "Windows Seven Forum they suggest a "1" on the drive that retains the restore points "only""
    is that it's the only side that is REALLY necessary, cause WIN 7 is the earlier version which Win 10 sees as incompatible
    restore points. It won't hurt to do both side. It will ensure no "leaking" betwix-and-between!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    18 Feb 2015 #29

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    0x00000000 for offline value will keep it ONLINE. 0x00000001 for offline value will make it OFFLINE.

    the 0 and 1 is used to enable/disable the offline status. Sounds backwards, but it's for triggering the function.

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline]
    "\\DosDevices\\C:"=dword:00000001

    will make the "C" drive appear OFFLINE. This would be the reg key used on the drive/partition of Win 10.

    The "C" will be need to be changed to whatever Win 10 "sees" the Win 7 OS drive/partition to be.

    And, vice-versa...... on the WIN 7 side, change the "C" to whatever Win 7 "sees" the Win 10 OS drive/partition to be.

    clear as mud, right! It works.

    P.S. - The reason for "Windows Seven Forum they suggest a "1" on the drive that retains the restore points "only""
    is that it's the only side that is REALLY necessary, cause WIN 7 is the earlier version which Win 10 sees as incompatible
    restore points. It won't hurt to do both side. It will ensure no "leaking" betwix-and-between!
    Yes, I have, in my case drive "E:", my W10TP drive in both W7/W10TP and it works. Amazing how a typo gets repeated so many times without being caught. One had as "\DocDevices\C", that's two typos. I noticed the one typo right away but the missing ":" I thought was on purpose.

    Anyway, I'm glad that you stepped in here, thanks!!
    Last edited by wptski; 18 Feb 2015 at 14:44.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 21,930
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       18 Feb 2015 #30

    wptski said: View Post
    f14tomcat said: View Post
    0x00000000 for offline value will keep it ONLINE. 0x00000001 for offline value will make it OFFLINE.

    the 0 and 1 is used to enable/disable the offline status. Sounds backwards, but it's for triggering the function.

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline]
    "\\DosDevices\\C:"=dword:00000001

    will make the "C" drive appear OFFLINE. This would be the reg key used on the drive/partition of Win 10.

    The "C" will be need to be changed to whatever Win 10 "sees" the Win 7 OS drive/partition to be.

    And, vice-versa...... on the WIN 7 side, change the "C" to whatever Win 7 "sees" the Win 10 OS drive/partition to be.

    clear as mud, right! It works.

    P.S. - The reason for "Windows Seven Forum they suggest a "1" on the drive that retains the restore points "only""
    is that it's the only side that is REALLY necessary, cause WIN 7 is the earlier version which Win 10 sees as incompatible
    restore points. It won't hurt to do both side. It will ensure no "leaking" betwix-and-between!
    Yes, I have, in my case drive "E:", my W10TP drive in both W7/W10TP and it works. Amazing how a typo gets repeated so many times without being caught. One had as "\DocDivices\C", that's two typos. I noticed the one typo right away but the missing ":" I thought was on purpose.

    Anyway, I'm glad that you stepped in here, thanks!!
    Glad to hear all ok! Remember that after the next build comes out, it will probably undo what you've done. Just save your REG files and re-do! Cheers!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Data on separate partition or drive? in Installation and Upgrade
Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that...
Solved IDE Hard Drive Slow PC Overall? in Drivers and Hardware
Hello. I had found an older 250 GB 7200RPM IDE HDD Just laying around. Since i had installed it i noticed extended boot/load times (Sitting At Black Screen With Cursor For About Two Minutes Before Having The Ability To Sign In) and i also have to...
Solved partitioning hard drive in General Support
hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options....
Hard drive errors won't fix on reboot in Drivers and Hardware
I am running build 9926, and got a maintenance error message yesterday, "Restart to repair hard drive errors (Important)". noting a need to restart the PC (as is common for NTFS repairs). However, upon restarting the computer, it just boots back...
What is the Best Hard Drive? in Windows 10 News
Read more: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43.
Find Us