Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    13 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10

    Well, I threw in the towel . . . .


    After sending 4 days of troubleshooting, making edits in the registry, and reading and posting at this wonderful site, I finally decided to install a fresh copy of Win10. I purchased this PC at MicroCenter back in Oct and it was preloaded with 10 Pro. I'm going to be very reluctant to update any drivers, and if I do, I'll create a restore point before driver install and then run sfc afterwards.

    Come on folks, it shouldn't be this way. What a royal PITA.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Jan 2016 #2

    windows usually creates restore points on driver installs itself were people here advising you to edit your registry? updating drivers , depending on what they are for , is usually a good idea but theres also an "if it aint broke dont try to fix it" policy you should employ with pc's
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Yeah, unfortunately there are very mixed reports about the stability of Windows 10. You must have ended up with a bad prune - many other people report a trouble free life with Win 10. I myself decided to skip Win 10 and stay on Win 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Posts : 710
    Windows 10 home 64bit 1511 (OSbuild 10586.63)

    The truth is a lot of Windows 10 problems are from outdated drivers but I would go with the above poster if its working fine don't change a thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    What I found out is that the problem I was having prior to the rebuild (AutoRun not working with my CDROM) worked fine in Windows 10 until the Nov. Release was installed. This is not a driver issue. When I load a CD into the CDROM, I have to force a File Explorer refresh for the CD to be recognized, and then AutoRun will work. I'm wondering why the initial read of the CDROM is not recognized by the system.

    Nevertheless, sfc and DISM run without error - this is a good thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    I woke up to a black screen this morning, and had to force shut down my computer twice before it 'woke up'. Not impressed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,380
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by jmikef View Post
    After sending 4 days of troubleshooting, making edits in the registry, and reading and posting at this wonderful site, I finally decided to install a fresh copy of Win10. I purchased this PC at MicroCenter back in Oct and it was preloaded with 10 Pro. I'm going to be very reluctant to update any drivers, and if I do, I'll create a restore point before driver install and then run sfc afterwards.

    Come on folks, it shouldn't be this way. What a royal PITA.
    Recommend you export 3rd party drivers


    http://woshub.com/how-to-export-driv...indows-8-1-u1/
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately there are very mixed reports about the stability of Windows 10. You must have ended up with a bad prune - many other people report a trouble free life with Win 10. I myself decided to skip Win 10 and stay on Win 7.
    I was gonna do that too. But I couldn't stand the constant harping to do the upgrade. It's been about three months now and so far no problems. Not all that much different from 7. I want to do a clean install of 10 but I guess I'm just too lazy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,174
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    So you were running the pre-installed version all this time? That's a minor miracle, as they usually contain outdated drivers and enough pre-installed software to make a high-end computer run like crap.

    First rule of buying an OEM computer....perform a clean install with the latest drivers and only install software you want or need.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Recommend you export 3rd party drivers


    http://woshub.com/how-to-export-driv...indows-8-1-u1/
    Wow, great idea - thx.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums