Windows 10: Why would I change from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
  1.    06 Feb 2015 #301

    Slartybart said: View Post
    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    What do you do when a search using the Hardware ID, returns dozens of companies and dozens of totally unrelated devices?
    You can get better results using:
    I also look up the driver on Corona.org. John et al, do a nice job keeping the information current.

    There's a wealth of information on both Corona.org and Sysnative.com

    Bill
    .
    What I do is that I download all of the drivers for my computer, extract them all and then anything that doesn't have a driver I point to the directory with all of the extracted files are and then if one is the right one it picks it and installs. If it still doesn't work I repeat because sometimes there are similar drivers and it installed the wrong one the first time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 Feb 2015 #302

    Geneo said: View Post
    @whs What is your point? A fairly simple setup will give you about 200 MB/s backup to external disk with Macrium.

    System: 2 Samsung 128 GB SSD RAID 0
    Internal backup: 2 WDC Blue drives, RAID 0
    External backup: WDC 2TB Black, USB 3.0
    I have no particular point. I am just giving you data that shows that 5 minute images are borderline and do not happen so often - unless you have a really fast setups.

    My system with i7 and 8GB of RAM is pretty potent and I thought comparing HDD, SSHD and SSD on the fastest external connections is interesting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Feb 2015 #303

    I forgot that I had a Linux swap file extended partition. Macrium Reflect seems to takes longer restoring and backing up the Linux swap partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Feb 2015 #304

    whs said: View Post

    I have no particular point. I am just giving you data that shows that 5 minute images are borderline and do not happen so often - unless you have a really fast setups.

    My system with i7 and 8GB of RAM is pretty potent and I thought comparing HDD, SSHD and SSD on the fastest external connections is interesting.
    Yes, interesting, but I think you haven't architected your system up to perform well in this manner:

    System 2 x Samsung Pro 128 GB = 1 GB/s reads
    External 2 TB WDC black with Vantec USB 3.0 enclosure ~ 150 MB/s

    That, with medium compression in Macrium gives me about 200 MB/s backup.

    The key is to have the high sequential read speed - the major reason I went RAID 0 for the system disk.

    Anyhow, I don't think it is fringe.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 Feb 2015 #305

    groze said: View Post
    I forgot that I had a Linux swap file extended partition. Macrium Reflect seems to takes longer restoring and backing up the Linux swap partition.
    . . .who cares. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Feb 2015 #306

    Lee said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    I forgot that I had a Linux swap file extended partition. Macrium Reflect seems to takes longer restoring and backing up the Linux swap partition.
    . . .who cares. . .
    I know I don't, the only reason I used Linux is to recover my PC from a disaster and that's not that often if ever. Linux is nice but the times I used it I found myself wanting to use some version of Windows.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    06 Feb 2015 #307

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Lee said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    I forgot that I had a Linux swap file extended partition. Macrium Reflect seems to takes longer restoring and backing up the Linux swap partition.
    . . .who cares. . .
    I know I don't, the only reason I used Linux is to recover my PC from a disaster and that's not that often if ever. Linux is nice but the times I used it I found myself wanting to use some version of Windows.

    Jeff
    Live linux Mint with persistence on a 32GB USB stick is how I use Linux for those purposes. Other is Ubuntu in VM for some covert operations, I hate the idea of mixing NTFS and Ext3/4 partitions, nothing but trouble.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    06 Feb 2015 #308

    CountMike said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Lee said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    I forgot that I had a Linux swap file extended partition. Macrium Reflect seems to takes longer restoring and backing up the Linux swap partition.
    . . .who cares. . .
    I know I don't, the only reason I used Linux is to recover my PC from a disaster and that's not that often if ever. Linux is nice but the times I used it I found myself wanting to use some version of Windows.

    Jeff
    Live linux Mint with persistence on a 32GB USB stick is how I use Linux for those purposes. Other is Ubuntu in VM for some covert operations, I hate the idea of mixing NTFS and Ext3/4 partitions, nothing but trouble.
    I have both NetRunner and Mint on a DVD. There nice OS's but I really like Windows more.

    YMMV
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       06 Feb 2015 #309

    Thanks Slartybart


    Slartybart said: View Post
    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    What do you do when a search using the Hardware ID, returns dozens of companies and dozens of totally unrelated devices?
    You can get better results using:

    I also look up the driver on Corona.org. John et al, do a nice job keeping the information current.

    There's a wealth of information on both Corona.org and Sysnative.com
    Thanks for those links Slartybart.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Feb 2015 #310

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    CountMike said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Lee said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    I forgot that I had a Linux swap file extended partition. Macrium Reflect seems to takes longer restoring and backing up the Linux swap partition.
    . . .who cares. . .
    I know I don't, the only reason I used Linux is to recover my PC from a disaster and that's not that often if ever. Linux is nice but the times I used it I found myself wanting to use some version of Windows.

    Jeff
    Live linux Mint with persistence on a 32GB USB stick is how I use Linux for those purposes. Other is Ubuntu in VM for some covert operations, I hate the idea of mixing NTFS and Ext3/4 partitions, nothing but trouble.
    I have both NetRunner and Mint on a DVD. There nice OS's but I really like Windows more.

    YMMV
    Jeff
    First,
    the reason I added that comment above, people were wandering why my backing up and restoring was taking longer than 10 minutes.

    Second,
    at first the main reason I went to Linux was to use windows 16 bit program using wine. I started using Lubuntu 64 bit 14.10 LTS (Yes, I said 64 bit) then added Xfce desktop, then added wine 32 bit. Now, I have no issues running 16 bit windows programs using Linux. Also, all Linux partitions including the swap partition is installed on logical partitions. It makes it a lot easier to install another windows version on a primary partition or do a clean install. I do like Linux but I still like Windows 7 better.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Related Threads
Customization Change Event Sounds in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change your Sounds in Windows 10 A sound theme is a set of sounds applied to events in Windows and apps. You can have Windows play a sound when certain events occur on your PC. (An event can be an action that you perform, such as...
Customization Change Theme in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change your Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the desktop background, colors, sounds, screen saver, and pointers on your PC all at once, and you can...
General Tips Change Time in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change the Time in Windows 10 Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time and time zone. Time is a measure in which events can be ordered from the past...
How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Apps and Files in Windows 10 Windows SmartScreen helps keep your PC safe by checking downloaded files and web content within apps to help protect you from malicious software and potentially...
General Tips Change Date in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change the Date in Windows 10 A calendar date is a reference to a particular day represented within a calendar system. The calendar date allows the specific day to be identified. This tutorial will show you different ways on how to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30.
Find Us