Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 359
    Windows 10
       01 Feb 2015 #171

    Change is change. It can be good, it can be bad, but it is better to adapt as change happens as opposed to adapting when you are forced to, and having to assimilate many changes at once. I know for a FACT that I will adapt to the Hololense way faster than someone who still uses Windows 98.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       01 Feb 2015 #172

    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    whs said: View Post
    Emma said: View Post
    I don't understand this vulnerability/security thing. There seems to be such a terrible fear of an infection. I don't know of any computer user who has loss the use of their computer permanently due to an infection. As long as they have a back up CD or have the factory recovery disks they will be okay. I know people who don't do W updates and haven't for years. I know someone who has never done W updates and has never had infection or hacker. He still uses W 98 and xps.
    An infection can happen to anybody and that can be pretty bad. A reinstall is always an option but a better strategy is to make frequent images - at least once per week. Then you can only lose a maximum of a weeks worth of work and data. But usually you can recover even that data with a live linux CD or stick - like this one. Or if you like a simpler version, take this one. One of those options should be in your kit.
    If one keeps their data segrated from the OS and programs, either on a separate drive or a separate partition, there is no need to have to recover any data lost when restoring from an earlier image. Imaging, while pretty much essential for backing up system files (OS and programs), is an extremely time consuming, bulky, and inefficient way to backup data. Data, as long as it is segregated from the system, is much better backed up with a folder/file syncing program, such as FreeFileSync. I image once a week and just before making any major changes, such as changing system settings or instlling new hardware or software. folder/file syncing is so fast, I can easily do it daily and anytime after I've added some critical data.
    LF, we all know that. But how many users have you seen making separate data partitions or using sync programs. I my computer club we have over 800 members and I have seen a lot of their systems. I bet you if I told them to make a separate data partition or use sync, they would not know what I am talking about.

    I have tried to address the data partition subject in my classes. The first problem is that most of their e.g. Win 7 laptops come with 4 primary partitions out of the box. And converting a primary (e.g. C) to a logical partition with Partition Wizard is way beyond their comprehension. Fortunately that is easier with UEFI.

    I therefor maintain that straight forward images are the best solution for those people. It may take some time, but so what. Go do something else whilst it writes the image.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       01 Feb 2015 #173

    futurdreamz said: View Post
    Change is change. It can be good, it can be bad, but it is better to adapt as change happens as opposed to adapting when you are forced to, and having to assimilate many changes at once. I know for a FACT that I will adapt to the Hololense way faster than someone who still uses Windows 98.
    Unfortunately, if that is like virtual reality glasses. I wouldn't be able to get those even if I could afford them. I have eye issues that give me headaches when playing 3d games and in some cases even certain graphics do the same thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246
       01 Feb 2015 #174

    groze said: View Post
    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    whs said: View Post
    Emma said: View Post
    I don't understand this vulnerability/security thing. There seems to be such a terrible fear of an infection. I don't know of any computer user who has loss the use of their computer permanently due to an infection. As long as they have a back up CD or have the factory recovery disks they will be okay. I know people who don't do W updates and haven't for years. I know someone who has never done W updates and has never had infection or hacker. He still uses W 98 and xps.
    An infection can happen to anybody and that can be pretty bad. A reinstall is always an option but a better strategy is to make frequent images - at least once per week. Then you can only lose a maximum of a weeks worth of work and data. But usually you can recover even that data with a live linux CD or stick - like this one. Or if you like a simpler version, take this one. One of those options should be in your kit.
    If one keeps their data segrated from the OS and programs, either on a separate drive or a separate partition, there is no need to have to recover any data lost when restoring from an earlier image. Imaging, while pretty much essential for backing up system files (OS and programs), is an extremely time consuming, bulky, and inefficient way to backup data. Data, as long as it is segregated from the system, is much better backed up with a folder/file syncing program, such as FreeFileSync. I image once a week and just before making any major changes, such as changing system settings or instlling new hardware or software. folder/file syncing is so fast, I can easily do it daily and anytime after I've added some critical data.
    Lady Fitzgerald;
    May I ask why imaging is inefficient? I have a small hard drive 500 gb, it only take my about 15 to 20 minutes to restore from an image, if I am worried about an infection, then I use the mini partition wizard boot cd and delete all partitions and create a new one, which takes about 5 minutes more. To me, an image beats having to reinstall all your applications, drivers, etc
    Of course you may ask.

    Oh, wait; you wanted me to answer that. All seriousness aside , imaging is essential for backing up the OS and programs; it's imaging data that is inefficient. Folder/file syncing is a fare more efficient way to backup data than imaging. The boot drive in my desktop rig is only 128GB. I'm using only about 65GB of that for my OS and programs (I don't keep data on my boot drive). I use a pro (i.e. paid) version of Macrium Reflect (although Macrium Reflect Free is what I recommend to most people). I have it set to use Intelligent Sector copy, which means it will image only sectors that are being used; that means the image will be smaller and take less time to make and restore. Also, certain system files that are automatically generated by the system, such as the hyberfil.sys file, are excluded from the image. That also reduces image size and the time it takes to make and restore an image. It takes me only five minutes to make an image, about the same amount of time to verify it (I have MR set to automatically verify images after making one), and around five minutes to restore the image. My images are only about 26GB in size.

    I keep my data on three other drives in my desktop machine. If I had my present C: drive on a partition on the one of my data drives that has 900GB of data on it and tried to image the entire thing, it would take almost four hours to image it and the image would be roughly 700-800GB large, using the default compression. I wouldn't be able to keep very many images that big on hand. It take almost four hours to restore and image that large plus I would lose any data that was added or changed since the last backup.

    However, if I use FreeFileSync to sync my data (not my OS and programs, that's what imaging is for) to another HDD, once I did the first backup, each backup thereafter would have to deal with only the data I added, changed, or deleted since the previous backup. I backup my data every day and takes an average of only ten minutes (it varies from five to thirty minutes, depending on the amount of data being backed up). The backup drive can be used as is since it's essentially a clone of the original drive or I can use it to restore my data to the original drive, either partially or entirely. FreeFileSync can also save data deleted from the backup drive to a folder somewhere or to another drive (it's called versioning) so you are protected from data loss due to accidental deletions. I recently discovered that FreeFileSync can be set to verify backups (it involves a simple internal hack) so I am assured all my data was successfully backed up.

    When I image my boot drive, I save the images on my main data drive and only keep the last few images (Macrium Reflect is set to delete all but the last eight images). That way, my images get backed up when I backup the data drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246
       01 Feb 2015 #175

    whs said: View Post
    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    whs said: View Post
    Emma said: View Post
    I don't understand this vulnerability/security thing. There seems to be such a terrible fear of an infection. I don't know of any computer user who has loss the use of their computer permanently due to an infection. As long as they have a back up CD or have the factory recovery disks they will be okay. I know people who don't do W updates and haven't for years. I know someone who has never done W updates and has never had infection or hacker. He still uses W 98 and xps.
    An infection can happen to anybody and that can be pretty bad. A reinstall is always an option but a better strategy is to make frequent images - at least once per week. Then you can only lose a maximum of a weeks worth of work and data. But usually you can recover even that data with a live linux CD or stick - like this one. Or if you like a simpler version, take this one. One of those options should be in your kit.
    If one keeps their data segrated from the OS and programs, either on a separate drive or a separate partition, there is no need to have to recover any data lost when restoring from an earlier image. Imaging, while pretty much essential for backing up system files (OS and programs), is an extremely time consuming, bulky, and inefficient way to backup data. Data, as long as it is segregated from the system, is much better backed up with a folder/file syncing program, such as FreeFileSync. I image once a week and just before making any major changes, such as changing system settings or instlling new hardware or software. folder/file syncing is so fast, I can easily do it daily and anytime after I've added some critical data.
    LF, we all know that. But how many users have you seen making separate data partitions or using sync programs. I my computer club we have over 800 members and I have seen a lot of their systems. I bet you if I told them to make a separate data partition or use sync, they would not know what I am talking about.

    I have tried to address the data partition subject in my classes. The first problem is that most of their e.g. Win 7 laptops come with 4 primary partitions out of the box. And converting a primary (e.g. C) to a logical partition with Partition Wizard is way beyond their comprehension. Fortunately that is easier with UEFI.

    I therefor maintain that straight forward images are the best solution for those people. It may take some time, but so what. Go do something else whilst it writes the image.
    I agree that not everyone will understand segregating data from the system but most people here will (and many of those who don't know come to forums to learn). Still, not every one here practices that or understands why using different methods of backing up is far more efficient.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       01 Feb 2015 #176

    LF, you have to understand what a 'normal user' looks like. Here is a picture of some of our members who helped set-up the last party - which is more important to many members than their computer, LOL.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-01_1541.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	11725
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246
       01 Feb 2015 #177

    whs said: View Post
    LF, you have to understand what a 'normal user' looks like. Here is a picture of some of our members who helped set-up the last party - which is more important to many members than their computer, LOL.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-01_1541.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	11725
    Again, we don't get many "normal" users here. People who come here are far more savvy or want to learn (and are capable of learning).

    Besides, appearances can be deceiving.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       01 Feb 2015 #178

    whs said: View Post
    LF, you have to understand what a 'normal user' looks like. Here is a picture of some of our members who helped set-up the last party - which is more important to many members than their computer, LOL.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-01_1541.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	11725
    whs
    Off topic post, are you in the picture (No offense meant, just asking)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       01 Feb 2015 #179

    groze said: View Post
    whs said: View Post
    LF, you have to understand what a 'normal user' looks like. Here is a picture of some of our members who helped set-up the last party - which is more important to many members than their computer, LOL.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-01_1541.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	11725
    whs
    Off topic post, are you in the picture (No offense meant, just asking)
    Nah, I am not in the picture. When a photographer shows up, I walk away. LOL
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       01 Feb 2015 #180

    Besides, appearances can be deceiving.
    LF, I agree with that. My point was that they are mostly older people with different interests. But they are a big part of the 1 Billion + users for whom we have to propose simple solutions. Most of the people on this forum know anyhow what to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Theme - Change in Windows 10
How to Change your Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the desktop background, colors, sounds, screen saver, and pointers on your PC all at once, and you can...
Tutorials
Time - Change in Windows 10
How to Change the Time in Windows 10 Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time and time zone. Time is a measure in which events can be ordered from the past...
Tutorials
Sounds - Change in Windows 10
How to Change your Sounds in Windows 10 A sound theme is a set of sounds applied to events in Windows and apps. You can have Windows play a sound when certain events occur on your PC. (An event can be an action that you perform, such as...
Tutorials
Windows SmartScreen Settings - Change in Windows 10
How to Turn On or Off Windows SmartScreen in Windows 10 Windows SmartScreen helps keep your PC safe by checking downloaded files and web content within apps to help protect you from malicious software and potentially unsafe web content. Before an...
Tutorials
Date - Change in Windows 10
How to Change the Date in Windows 10 A calendar date is a reference to a particular day represented within a calendar system. The calendar date allows the specific day to be identified. This tutorial will show you different ways on how to...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums