Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Feb 2015 #151
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    I think Jody wants long terms support for the operating system, but Jeff (Bunnyj) wants to upgrade. However, isn't windows 10 going to be long term support or is Microsoft always going to be replacing the GUI every year?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Feb 2015 #152
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    I think Jody wants long terms support for the operating system, but Jeff (Bunnyj) wants to upgrade. However, isn't windows 10 going to be long term support or is Microsoft always going to be replacing the GUI every year?
    Win10 should have a stable GUI for some time I suspect. If not I'll just learn to use the new one.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    01 Feb 2015 #153

    For me its down to official support. I simply will not use a product that is no longer supported in both helpdesk support and in updates. You're leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    01 Feb 2015 #154
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    For me its down to official support. I simply will not use a product that is no longer supported in both helpdesk support and in updates. You're leaving yourself open to vulnerabilities.
    Win7 will continue to receive support until 2020 so I don't think that going to be an issue for many. IN the end of the day if someone really likes Win7 and it works fine for them I can't see a good reason to upgrade right away. I'm going to because I like Win10 more than Win8.1.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    01 Feb 2015 #155
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    KS
    Posts : 526
    W 7 desktop Home Premium 64 - OS

    I don't understand this vulnerability/security thing. There seems to be such a terrible fear of an infection. I don't know of any computer user who has loss the use of their computer permanently due to an infection. As long as they have a back up CD or have the factory recovery disks they will be okay. I know people who don't do W updates and haven't for years. I know someone who has never done W updates and has never had infection or hacker. He still uses W 98 and xps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    01 Feb 2015 #156
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,542
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    I don't understand this vulnerability/security thing. There seems to be such a terrible fear of an infection. I don't know of any computer user who has loss the use of their computer permanently due to an infection. As long as they have a back up CD or have the factory recovery disks they will be okay. I know people who don't do W updates and haven't for years. I know someone who has never done W updates and has never had infection or hacker. He still uses W 98 and xps.
    win98 might work for him ,but for most users there is just to many issues with browsers not be compatible with so many web sites, like banking and school web sites ,we were constantly up grading browsers for such reasons ,ect ect
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Feb 2015 #157
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Greed?? I can't agree with that. But, I don't want to get into a discussion about that subject here. I think that change is a good thing and people can adapt to it. We've been doing that for ages and will for a very long time to come. Some changes are bad but not all of them and making blank statements is silly, IMO.

    I used to dig LP's but I really love CD's. The sound is better and they don't have the dust issues and static that LP's have.

    Jeff
    Change isn't always a good thing, especially change for change's sake. Why should I (or anyone else, for that matter) adapt to change if it isn't beneficial? If change benefits me, I'm all over it. But, if it doesn't benefit me overall, forget it! In the case of Win 10, I haven't seen anything new that I would benefit from that I'm not already getting from third party add-ons with Win 7 (many which do a better job than Win 10). I still have two retail copies of Win 7 (Home Premium and Ultimate) I haven't used yet. All my programs and hardware is compatible with Win 7; that may or may not be true with Win 10 and it may be a while after Win 10 has been out before some of them, if any, will be compatitble from updates in the programs or hardware drivers. I just don't see the point in upgrading from an OS that fully meets my needs to one that probably will not from the start and will probably cost me money in needed upgrades in programs and hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Feb 2015 #158
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Greed?? I can't agree with that. But, I don't want to get into a discussion about that subject here. I think that change is a good thing and people can adapt to it. We've been doing that for ages and will for a very long time to come. Some changes are bad but not all of them and making blank statements is silly, IMO.

    I used to dig LP's but I really love CD's. The sound is better and they don't have the dust issues and static that LP's have.

    Jeff
    Change isn't always a good thing, especially change for change's sake. Why should I (or anyone else, for that matter) adapt to change if it isn't beneficial? If change benefits me, I'm all over it. But, if it doesn't benefit me overall, forget it! In the case of Win 10, I haven't seen anything new that I would benefit from that I'm not already getting from third party add-ons with Win 7 (many which do a better job than Win 10). I still have two retail copies of Win 7 (Home Premium and Ultimate) I haven't used yet. All my programs and hardware is compatible with Win 7; that may or may not be true with Win 10 and it may be a while after Win 10 has been out before some of them, if any, will be compatitble from updates in the programs or hardware drivers. I just don't see the point in upgrading from an OS that fully meets my needs to one that probably will not from the start and will probably cost me money in needed upgrades in programs and hardware.
    I don't think I meant that anyone had to adapt to the new OS. IF you read post #154 you'll see that I don't think that if people like Win7 should update to Win10.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Feb 2015 #159
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Greed?? I can't agree with that. But, I don't want to get into a discussion about that subject here. I think that change is a good thing and people can adapt to it. We've been doing that for ages and will for a very long time to come. Some changes are bad but not all of them and making blank statements is silly, IMO.

    I used to dig LP's but I really love CD's. The sound is better and they don't have the dust issues and static that LP's have.

    Jeff
    Change isn't always a good thing, especially change for change's sake. Why should I (or anyone else, for that matter) adapt to change if it isn't beneficial? If change benefits me, I'm all over it. But, if it doesn't benefit me overall, forget it! In the case of Win 10, I haven't seen anything new that I would benefit from that I'm not already getting from third party add-ons with Win 7 (many which do a better job than Win 10). I still have two retail copies of Win 7 (Home Premium and Ultimate) I haven't used yet. All my programs and hardware is compatible with Win 7; that may or may not be true with Win 10 and it may be a while after Win 10 has been out before some of them, if any, will be compatitble from updates in the programs or hardware drivers. I just don't see the point in upgrading from an OS that fully meets my needs to one that probably will not from the start and will probably cost me money in needed upgrades in programs and hardware.
    I don't think I meant that anyone had to adapt to the new OS. IF you read post #154 you'll see that I don't think that if people like Win7 should update to Win10.

    Jeff
    You're contradicting yourself. You said change is a good thing, as though it always is. I said change isn't always a good thing and gave an example in the context of this topic. another example would be smart phones. I wouldn't mind having one but, being on a so called fixed income, I don't need another large monthly bill and the benefits of a smart phone do not outweigh the disadvantages of that large bill. I've done just fine without one for all my life. I have an ancient prepaid cell phone (an Oystr; go ahead and laugh but it's paid for) I carry for emergencies that stays off unless I need to use it. The benefits of that outweighs the small average monthly cost.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    01 Feb 2015 #160
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I like change and you don't.. I'm fine with that.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Customization Change Event Sounds in Windows 10
How to Change your Event Sounds in Windows 10 A sound theme is a set of sounds applied to events in Windows and apps. You can have Windows play a sound when certain events occur on your PC. (An event can be an action that you perform, such as...
Tutorials
Customization Change Theme in Windows 10
How to Change the Theme in Windows 10 In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the desktop background, colors, sounds, screen saver, and pointers on your PC all at once, and you can...
Tutorials
General Tips Change Time in Windows 10
How to Change the Time in Windows 10 Your PC's system clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time and time zone. Time is a measure in which events can be ordered from the...
Tutorials
Security System Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10
Windows SmartScreen helps keep your PC safe by checking downloaded files and web content within apps to help protect you from malicious software and potentially unsafe web content. Before an unknown or potentially unsafe downloaded file is opened,...
Tutorials
General Tips Change Date in Windows 10
How to Change the Date in Windows 10 A calendar date is a reference to a particular day represented within a calendar system. The calendar date allows the specific day to be identified. This tutorial will show you different ways on how to...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums