Windows 10: Missing icons in some apps

  1.    08 Jan 2016 #1

    Missing icons in some apps


    Hi everyone,

    I have an issue with some icons in windows 10, some of them are not being displayed by windows.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missing icons w10.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	57675

    Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4EF.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Jan 2016 #2

    Are the icons only problematic in the start menu or is the same problem for these particular icons showing on the executable on your C: drive? I'm not in front of my Windows 10 machine right now but if memory serves correctly you can right click these short cuts and select 'more' and then 'open file location'. I wonder how the icons look in here. If they are wrong try right clicking and properties and see if you can change the icon from there.

    If the icons look ok in file explorer you could also try to pin the short cuts to the start menu again.

    It could also be a problem with the icon cache. One of the more educated gurus might be able to advise better but I believe the default icon cache is set very low by Microsoft. A meagre 500 kb - God knows why so low in this day and age. Sometimes if the upper limit of this is reached it can cause icon corruption. There is a registry edit that can increase the icon cache to more acceptable level. Hopefully someone can back up my ascertion and knows the correct registry path.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Jan 2016 #3

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Are the icons only problematic in the start menu or is the same problem for these particular icons showing on the executable on your C: drive? I'm not in front of my Windows 10 machine right now but if memory serves correctly you can right click these short cuts and select 'more' and then 'open file location'. I wonder how the icons look in here. If they are wrong try right clicking and properties and see if you can change the icon from there.

    If the icons look ok in file explorer you could also try to pin the short cuts to the start menu again.

    It could also be a problem with the icon cache. One of the more educated gurus might be able to advise better but I believe the default icon cache is set very low by Microsoft. A meagre 500 kb - God knows why so low in this day and age. Sometimes if the upper limit of this is reached it can cause icon corruption. There is a registry edit that can increase the icon cache to more acceptable level. Hopefully someone can back up my ascertion and knows the correct registry path.
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, (I didn't receive any notification in my email)
    I checked the .exe in the hard drive and they are being correctly displayed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captureex.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	58153
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture ex 2.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	58154
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture ex3.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	58155
    I just installed a new program and I still have the same problem:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captureex4.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	58158
    I tried rebuilding the icon cache with some methods I found, like deleting the database of the icons cache but it didn't work.

    Creating a shortcut and pinning it to the start menu again works, but I'll have to do this everytime I install a new software....
    I hope there is a fix for this.

    Thanks,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Jan 2016 #4

    It's a strange issue. Do the icons display correctly in the start menu at any point? More specifically after a reboot. And then they change to the wrong one? The reason I ask is because ages ago albeit on Windows 7 I had similar corruption on some files but only a while after boot. The fix was related to the registry edit for max icon cache. It may not be too relevant but it's worth a shot and won't do anything to harm. Other than that I don't have other ideas beyond trying to rebuild the icon cache which it seems you already tried. Max icon cache guide related to windows vista, 7 and 8 but imagine 10 is same process. Take a restore point first

    Icon Cache Size - Change in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Jan 2016 #5

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    It's a strange issue. Do the icons display correctly in the start menu at any point? More specifically after a reboot. And then they change to the wrong one? The reason I ask is because ages ago albeit on Windows 7 I had similar corruption on some files but only a while after boot. The fix was related to the registry edit for max icon cache. It may not be too relevant but it's worth a shot and won't do anything to harm. Other than that I don't have other ideas beyond trying to rebuild the icon cache which it seems you already tried. Max icon cache guide related to windows vista, 7 and 8 but imagine 10 is same process. Take a restore point first

    Icon Cache Size - Change in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

    The icons are never shown correctly at any point, I tried several times to reboot, install / reinstall the same application several times. At first I though it was something related (maybe) with the version of the application, but I installed adobe reader recently, directly from Adobe and it is the last version.

    I'll try to change the icon cache size and post the results. I don't have many applications installed, it is a fresh installation of windows 10 Enterprise, I had many more in my previous installation and never faced this issue.

    I'll try something else that didn't think about it before, I'll create a new windows user and see if the issue persists.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 Jan 2016 #6

    Yeah that's a good shout trying to create a new user. If that works then you can migrate to the new user account and delete the old one. If the issue persists and the max icon cache registry edit also doesn't work it might be worth trying a repair install
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 Jan 2016 #7

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Yeah that's a good shout trying to create a new user. If that works then you can migrate to the new user account and delete the old one. If the issue persists and the max icon cache registry edit also doesn't work it might be worth trying a repair install
    Creating a new user worked.

    I don't want to move everything to the new user, I have to move program data files, appdata - roaming, for some games a I have installed.

    I can't remember , but there is a way to delete the database and restore the windows 10 start menu,maybe that will fix everything(?)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    11 Jan 2016 #8

    Restoring TileDataLayer didn't work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    11 Jan 2016 #9

    Same BUGGY Problem with Icons


    Set up: Latest ver Windows 10
    Asus P8Z77 MB - 32Gb RAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
    GPU - Nvidia GeForce 660ti

    There are several bugs in the latest version of Windows 10 that are driving me to distraction.

    1. The "power" does not work after the machine wakes up from sleep. The problem is intermittent and usually happens after the machine has been in "sleep" mode for a while. However, if instead of trying to access the "power" option through the "start" menu (left button on mouse), one clicks the right button on mouse to access the Task Manager sub menu, the "power" option features work fine. Also, one can shut the machine down (or put in sleep/restart) by pressing Alt-F4. In other words, the problem is in the main Start Menu.

    2. Another quirky bug in the Start Menu when I try to "pin" several applications; their icons will not show on the Start Menu. Specifically, the latest version of Corel Wordperfect X7 and Quattro. No matter what I do, I cannot the "pinned" app to show its icon; not even when I try to point to the actual program. However, in the "All Apps" submenu, the Wordperfect X7 and Quattro apps appear with their icon, as they should (and in the taskbar).

    This does not happen with any other app on my machine, but I would guess that there are other apps out there that would present the same problem. Again, these problems manifests themselves in the Start Menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    11 Jan 2016 #10

    Changing icon cache size didn't work either...
    ..
    Last edited by elkolodj; 11 Jan 2016 at 21:27.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved All system icons are missing in General Support
I know this sounds like an easy fix but it is not. I have scoured the entire internet and experimented myself extensively on trying to fix this problem so I would be grateful if someone here would like to help me. The problem is this: I have Windows...
My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help:shock:
Windows 10 App Icons Missing in General Support
Hi guys Upgraded to 10 few months ago and loving it but one thing thats kind of annoying me is apps like Mail, Calendar, Ebay etc when i put onto the desktop the app icons stay but after a short time they dissapear and are replaced with a white...
I am missing the icons for a few pieces of software, such as office, i have tried resetting the icon cache, to no avail, any ideas? Thanks.
Solved Missing icons in Customization
Recently I have had the issue where some icons go missing. In the image below, its the mute icon however it appears elsewhere. May be related or not but my skype has suddendly stop showing special characters too. 40896 40897 I have tried "Reset...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:17.
Find Us