Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Monroe, Ga USA
    Posts : 7
    WIN 7 WIN 10

    cannot type in body of document area


    Today I found this site and looking forward to better learn the Win 10. Santa brought me a new Lenova laptop for Christmas and I am finding things are quite different from my previous Win 7 software.
    I have been able to find my way around so far, but cannot figure this one out.
    I can open documents as usual, change name of new folder, but cannot type in the body of the document area. I have tried several times with no luck. What am I doing wrong???? Please help a senior!!
    jabo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,361
    Mac OS Sierra

    cannot type in body of document area


    Not much different from 7, other then you can use tiles in the Menu, when you first click on it.

    Just roll up your sleeves and jump right in.

    What are you using for Word Processing? That part is a important vital piece of information.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Monroe, Ga USA
    Posts : 7
    WIN 7 WIN 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    Not much different from 7, other then you can use tiles in the Menu, when you first click on it.

    Just roll up your sleeves and jump right in.

    What are you using for Word Processing? That part is a important vital piece of information.
    When I tried it, I used the start menu on the left, clicked on documents, and opened a new document, changed the name, that is when I tried to create the document but could not get the information in the body of it.
    jabo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 559
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate

    Make sure you are not stuck in Compatibility Mode for your document. It'll be read-only.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,361
    Mac OS Sierra

    What are you using to create documents? Word, Wordpad? We need to know, so that you can be walked through.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,361
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by XweAponX View Post
    Make sure you are not stuck in Compatibility Mode for your document. It'll be read-only.
    No way of knowing until they disclose the software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Monroe, Ga USA
    Posts : 7
    WIN 7 WIN 10
    Thread Starter

    Hey guy's, I have never had this kind of problems until I got this NEW LAPTOP WIN 10. Always back to DOS I've been able to figure things out. This one has me stumped, please read my previous post, I don't know how else to explain, and rolling up my sleeves and dig in there is not the answer I need NPI. I've created many documents in the past. If someone can just give me the sequence to get it working. Again, what I've done is in my other posts. Thanks for listening.
    jabo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,288
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    Hey guy's, I have never had this kind of problems until I got this NEW LAPTOP WIN 10. Always back to DOS I've been able to figure things out. This one has me stumped, please read my previous post, I don't know how else to explain, and rolling up my sleeves and dig in there is not the answer I need NPI. I've created many documents in the past. If someone can just give me the sequence to get it working. Again, what I've done is in my other posts. Thanks for listening.
    jabo
    Hi, jabo.

    When I do what you said you do in your 2nd post, it opens File explorer. What I CAN do from there is, over on the right, where it displays some folders and files, I can RIGHT-click in the open blank area and a menu will pop up where I can select by moving my mouse pointer over "New >", whereupon another menu will pop up and I can select by clicking on Text Document, Microsoft Word Document, and other things.

    If I click on "Microsoft Word Document" (for example), a new file will appear in that display area on the right and be waiting for me to type in a name for the document. After I type a name, I hit enter, then hit enter again, and then the document opens and I can type in the body of that document.

    If I click on "New Text Document" instead of "Microsoft Word Document", it goes exactly the same way.

    Exactly where does this go differently for you?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Monroe, Ga USA
    Posts : 7
    WIN 7 WIN 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    Hi, jabo.

    When I do what you said you do in your 2nd post, it opens File explorer. What I CAN do from there is, over on the right, where it displays some folders and files, I can RIGHT-click in the open blank area and a menu will pop up where I can select by moving my mouse pointer over "New >", whereupon another menu will pop up and I can select by clicking on Text Document, Microsoft Word Document, and other things.

    If I click on "Microsoft Word Document" (for example), a new file will appear in that display area on the right and be waiting for me to type in a name for the document. After I type a name, I hit enter, then hit enter again, and then the document opens and I can type in the body of that document.

    If I click on "New Text Document" instead of "Microsoft Word Document", it goes exactly the same way.

    Exactly where does this go differently for you?
    Word Man, thanks so much for the reply/info. Sometime tomorrow I am going to it again and follow your advise. I sure hope it works, you will know what happens, and again, thanks.
    jabo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,361
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by jabo View Post
    Hey guy's, I have never had this kind of problems until I got this NEW LAPTOP WIN 10. Always back to DOS I've been able to figure things out. This one has me stumped, please read my previous post, I don't know how else to explain, and rolling up my sleeves and dig in there is not the answer I need NPI. I've created many documents in the past. If someone can just give me the sequence to get it working. Again, what I've done is in my other posts. Thanks for listening.
    jabo
    Still need to know the program you are using to create documents. It does not matter what you were using in the past. We need to know what you are using on Windows 10 to create documents. That is a pretty vital piece of information that is really helpful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Indent Footnote text (between the raised number and the body text)?
How to indent Footnote text (between the raised number and the body text) automatically? I have word 2013, and I would like to insert an indentation 1.5 between the raised number and the text in footnotes (see figure 1) Figure 1...
Software and Apps
How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files
Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the...
General Support
Help me make File Explorer borders dark and body a color.
All the white is hurting my eyes, how can I make File Explorer and other programs like CPU-Z and uTorrent to not be all white, I want black or colored borders and the body to be a color. My eyes hurt from all the white.
General Support
Solved Document Link and OneDrive
The documents link in my Start Menu points to OneDrive, as of this moment I have found no way to make it point to my documents. Any idea's? Thanks alan
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums