Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    23 Jan 2015 #11
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    I'll be heading for the add remove Windows features to remove it. Computers should be seen and not heard. I don't want it talking over my music except my Weather Watcher program which says the word "DANGER" 10 times when there is a severe weather threat.
    Perhaps some will need it since they have moved all the settings around again......
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    23 Jan 2015 #12

    Cortana voice commands on a phone in a hands-free enviroment.. like driving ...is great.

    Also don't mind it on a PC - though I agree I'll feel silly talking to my PC... the PA capabilities is what I'm keen on though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Jan 2015 #13
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    I'll be heading for the add remove Windows features to remove it. Computers should be seen and not heard.
    I agree with you 100% mate!!! There is enough noise in this world as is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Jan 2015 #14

    Hi there

    Thanks for the replies --looks as if there are plenty of other people too who agree there's too much noise already. Syncing devices is OK but we've got apps coming out of our "lug -holes" (i.e ears) already for that sort of work.

    I'm not disparaging Ms for trying out new things but this is certainly one feature I'll diab;e one way or another - even if means hacking the Registry to do it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Jan 2015 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,303
    Windows 10

    Has it been announced that Win 10 Cortana is different to Cortana currently available? which would be odd to have different versions of it

    The current Cortana only speaks to you if you speak to it, don't speak to it and it will be silent
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    23 Jan 2015 #16

    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Has it been announced that Win 10 Cortana is different to Cortana currently available? which would be odd to have different versions of it

    The current Cortana only speaks to you if you speak to it, don't speak to it and it will be silent
    Hi there

    I only looked at some of the "Sales Spiel" or presentation stuff where the presenters set up the idea of cortana acting as a personal secretary - you could tell it vocally to arrange say an appointment and it would make entries in your calendar.

    My whole take on these devices is that people rarely use them in silent mode if there's a vocal part --I'm often almost tempted to sling an AXE into some people's faces when they are working in an open plan office and can't be bothered to turn off the incessant ping sound they get on their phones (or even PC's ) when an email arrives every 2 secs or so or when they can't turn off the clackety keyboard sounds on a PC or Blackberry.

    I'm not really that evil -it's just that I can't understand why there is so much lacking of decent manners and respect of other people's space in crowded offices -.

    Perhaps I'm too old fashioned. Anyway I'm near retirement so I won't have to put up with it for too much longer.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Jan 2015 #17
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,303
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Has it been announced that Win 10 Cortana is different to Cortana currently available? which would be odd to have different versions of it

    The current Cortana only speaks to you if you speak to it, don't speak to it and it will be silent
    Hi there

    I only looked at some of the "Sales Spiel" or presentation stuff where the presenters set up the idea of cortana acting as a personal secretary - you could tell it vocally to arrange say an appointment and it would make entries in your calendar.

    My whole take on these devices is that people rarely use them in silent mode if there's a vocal part --I'm often almost tempted to sling an AXE into some people's faces when they are working in an open plan office and can't be bothered to turn off the incessant ping sound they get on their phones (or even PC's ) when an email arrives every 2 secs or so or when they can't turn off the clackety keyboard sounds on a PC or Blackberry.

    I'm not really that evil -it's just that I can't understand why there is so much lacking of decent manners and respect of other people's space in crowded offices -.

    Perhaps I'm too old fashioned. Anyway I'm near retirement so I won't have to put up with it for too much longer.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hi,

    If you speak to Cortana and ask to book and appointment it will speak back while you are doing it
    If you type into Cortana to add an appointment you will get the details on screen as it is doing it (nothing spoken)
    same with any other things, speak to it and you get a spoken response, type into it and you get a text response on screen

    notifications from Cortana are in the notification centre, visual not spoken

    this is how it currently works on the phone, and it can also be totally disabled if needed, I see no reason why the win 10 version would be any different
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    23 Jan 2015 #18
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    in the leaked 9901 builds Cortana could be turned off
    I am running 9901 and Cortana does nothing. Did I do something wrong? How do I turn it on?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Jan 2015 #19
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 824
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    in the leaked 9901 builds Cortana could be turned off
    I am running 9901 and Cortana does nothing. Did I do something wrong? How do I turn it on?
    I am sure you had to have your region settings set to united states for it to work in that build
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    23 Jan 2015 #20
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 729
    win 7 dual boot / 10

    Well I am excited about it. I have no idea if I will like it or not. No clue as to if I will use it or not. But I am sure that I will need to know how to fix it if it does not work. My friends will be bringing it to me to fix or get rid of or whatever and so I need to know her!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
i'm a pc and windows was my idea.
I guess you all remember these ads about users claiming to have had the idea and telling Microsoft. is it true, can you just email in with an idea. has anyone ever tried it.
General Support
Solved Windows 10 Hates Me
Well where to begin? I received those pop up warnings yesterday. Today I tried to install the two updates from WU. They seemed to install just fine. I was then asked to re-boot. I did and after restart all I saw was a black screen for twenty...
General Support
10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?
I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all drivers, easy peasy. No waiting forever to download updates.......boots faster etc. When it...
General Support
Do you think Ms Reads these Forums -- would be a good idea
Hi there I wonder if Ms reads these forums at all - it surely would be a good idea since on the whole people are fairly knowlegeable and do some quite rigorous testing. I'm sure Ms would get better feedback from the Forums than going through...
General Support
Solved Anyone hates shortcut arrows
I hate those ugly shortcut arrows and this, from XP on. Found this little tool to clean them up while on XP: FxVisor but, it is now called Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover. Still works great even on 10 :
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums