Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10

    Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash


    These are my issues:

    When I create a New Folder and try naming it, it freezes, then Explorer will restart. The folder will be made but if I try to rename it, it will do the same thing.

    When I try deleting that empty folder, the Moving to Recycle bin takes over 30 sec long, there is nothing inside it. I can delete a big regular file instantly.

    The Context menu also has very black thicker separator lines compared to what it should be a faint light grey color. That was the first thing I noticed that was off. Please help. I tried shellextview, disabled all 3rd party items and it still isn't working.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    I would try creating a second user account and see if it does the same thing when logged in as a different user.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,207
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    I would try to eliminate the incompatible shell extension(s) first:
    Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I would try creating a second user account and see if it does the same thing when logged in as a different user.
    I went onto a different user and i can create and rename folders and it works. I can also delete the folder and it goes away instantly.
    Here is the context menu separators, they are much darker than what I remember, looking in Google Images it does not look like that, or in any other program either, they are supposed to be faint grey lines. These black lines appear anywhere in Explorer, in folders, any drive. It looks awful and it's the first thing I noticed wrong. This also happens on the other user account. Thanks so far for helping!

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_1.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    I would try to eliminate the incompatible shell extension(s) first:
    Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up - Windows 10 Forums
    I disabled all 3rd party extensions, that didn't do anything sadly. This > is not the issue "Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up"

    My Right click shows up instantly. I can go to NEW> and create any other type file and name it fine, but when I do it to a folder, it freezes Explorer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Anyone?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,554
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    Quote Originally Posted by iamsikora View Post
    Anyone?
    I'm no expert ,but I'm a betting man ,and I would bet that your fix for this issue would be a reinstall ,I would run the iso from the desktop and choose update install ,it would /could fix the issue ,but that just me
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,207
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by iamsikora View Post
    I disabled all 3rd party extensions, that didn't do anything sadly. This > is not the issue "Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up"

    My Right click shows up instantly. I can go to NEW> and create any other type file and name it fine, but when I do it to a folder, it freezes Explorer.
    File Explorer is a Windows corefile and does have things running in the background. If you install some software that is not compatible then it will cause problem with File Explorer, whether right click, freeze or in your case, it crashes when working with folders.
    I have noticed that you have NVIDIA nview desktop manager installed. What kind of video card do you have ? Try to remove the context menu items for "NVIDIA Control Panel" and "nview" to see if it helps. These 2 items can be accessed via Control Panel and do not need to be in context menu.

    EDIT: Also, open task manager->Startup and disable everything then reboot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    12 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    File Explorer is a Windows corefile and does have things running in the background. If you install some software that is not compatible then it will cause problem with File Explorer, whether right click, freeze or in your case, it crashes when working with folders.
    I have noticed that you have NVIDIA nview desktop manager installed. What kind of video card do you have ? Try to remove the context menu items for "NVIDIA Control Panel" and "nview" to see if it helps. These 2 items can be accessed via Control Panel and do not need to be in context menu.

    EDIT: Also, open task manager->Startup and disable everything then reboot.
    I already did that, ALL 3rd party extensions were disabled, restarted and still. I enabled some one by one and neither affected it.

    I did a safe clean boot and it still did it. I can simply tap DELETE on an empty folder and itll take 30+ seconds to delete, no context menu required. That's never happened before, I can delete a 4gb video and it's gone instantly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,207
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Couple of things you might want to try:
    1. From Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause
    2. Run chkdsk /r /f C:
      NOTE:
      will take a while to run, seems to stall at time. Let it run til finished.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Renaming a user folder in This PC
Greetings Ten Forums!, I have recently encountered another problem regarding the user folders(Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents, Downloads...etc) in This PC, though this time it's a problem that occurred when I first installed Windows 10 but...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Problem renaming a Start Menu folder
I have just moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64-bit). For me there is a significant learning curve, and I need help with one issue that I have been unable to resolve. I tried to rename the following folder: C:\Users\All...
General Support
Windows explorer crash
Hello! Two days ago, I have upgraded my windows 7 HP probook 470 Go to windows 10, using media creation tool (iso). After the complete installation and from the first boot to the new desktop, the windows explorer crashed. I have this problem since...
Performance & Maintenance
Crash Explorer
Hello my windows explorer crash loop 1 minute after opening the Windows 10 desktop, I'm Version 10240 Here is the event log Nom de l’application défaillante explorer.exe, version : 10.0.10240.16405, horodatage : 0x55b455cf Nom du module...
General Support
Windows Explorer crash.
When I right click, or press CTRL+SHIFT+N to create new folder, Windows Explorer crashes. I have had this OS for 2 days now and am really liking this, although this is an incredible pain. Any help welcome, Thanks.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:47.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums