Windows 10: Extracting Zip Files Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    03 Jan 2016 #1

    Extracting Zip Files


    Hi People, Newbie here.
    As the title suggests I am having a problem unzipping downloaded files on my HP Envy laptop. which has windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586.36) it appears to start the process but just hangs at 99% and will remain there for the rest of the day.
    However I also have a HP Pavilion laptop with windows 10 version 10 (build 10240) which has no problems unzipping downloaded files, in fact in most cases takes only a few seconds.
    I can copy the unzipped files to a flash drive or external HD and copy to the HP Envy where so far all have worked.
    So, I have two questions,
    1) Is there a way of getting the Envy laptop to unzip downloaded files successfully as with the Pavilion?
    If not
    2) Can I uninstall Windows 10 and select an different version of 10 to upgrade to on the Envy which will allow me unzip files?
    Please note that I am an old guy and not computer literate as such, so a detailed response to this issue would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    03 Jan 2016 #2

    Hi and welcome to the forums.. first off what tool are you using to unzip the files with?? The standard one that comes with windows or a third party tool??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Jan 2016 #3

    Hi croydonian and welcome to the forums. I'm using 7-Zip on Windows 10 without any problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    03 Jan 2016 #4

    Re file unzip problems


    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forums.. first off what tool are you using to unzip the files with?? The standard one that comes with windows or a third party tool??
    Thanks BunnyJ for your reply and your welcome message.

    I am, on both both the Pavilion and the Envy laptops using the original windows extract utility so I would expect both to perform identically!
    The procedure is the same on both laptops but on the newer machine with the later /different Windows 10 build version the extract just will not complete, I am confused, and would still welcome suggestions.
    Thanks again for your interest.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    03 Jan 2016 #5

    croydonian said: View Post
    Thanks BunnyJ for your reply and your welcome message.

    I am, on both both the Pavilion and the Envy laptops using the original windows extract utility so I would expect both to perform identically!
    The procedure is the same on both laptops but on the newer machine with the later /different Windows 10 build version the extract just will not complete, I am confused, and would still welcome suggestions.
    Thanks again for your interest.
    I would give 7zip a try.. that should work perfectly on both PC's. It's free and I use it all of the time. HTH
    http://www.7-zip.org/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    03 Jan 2016 #6

    Re File Unzipping Problems


    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I would give 7zip a try.. that should work perfectly on both PC's. It's free and I use it all of the time. HTH
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    Thanks BunnyJ.
    I have actually got 7zip on board and have just tried it, WHOOPEE it works a treat.
    Files now download without any problems.
    I will use it both machines from now on.
    Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    03 Jan 2016 #7

    Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,425
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       03 Jan 2016 #8

    I use win10 zip feature with out issue on 2 computers with the latest version of win10,,i to have used 7zip ,and it is installed on one of my 2 computers for use with other types of compressed files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    03 Jan 2016 #9

    pyramid10 said: View Post
    Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.
    Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    03 Jan 2016 #10

    caperjack said: View Post
    I use win10 zip feature with out issue on 2 computers with the latest version of win10,,i to have used 7zip ,and it is installed on one of my 2 computers for use with other types of compressed files
    Thanks caperjack for the info, I have 7zip on both laptops and using them on each machine has resolved the issue without further agro' thanks to the suggestion of BunnyJ.
    Cheers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Win 10 does not see files on CD/DVD rom in Installation and Upgrade
I performed the upgrade on Windows 10 after installation I was trying to install office 2007, the DVD rom drive is seen by win 10 because I can eject the disk but no files to be seen in explorer and it won't auto start despite all the settings.. I...
I have a problem with a program not saving preset data. Possibly due to harlink extenstion with only one piece of software. I use symbolic hardlinks on my system but I do not know if the following has any bearing on the issue with the software I...
I recently performed a clean installation of Windows 10 after some issues I was having with the PC. The clean install went successfully with no errors along the way. Now, however, I am trying to restore files from the backup I made prior to the...
Even when using disk cleanup in admin account it will say deleted but after restarting and going back into disk cleanup they are back. Even using Windows app they come back after deletion . See screenshot On another note system restore...
When I launch file explorer and get the home view, it is showing a bunch of filenames in Chinese characters (see attached screenshot) which it says are in the desktop folder. However there are no such files when I look at the desktop folder. WTF? ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09.
Find Us