1.    02 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home

    Windows 10 restart issue


    Hi, I have recently upgraded one of my desktop computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to the very first version that was released when Windows 10 came out (Which is build 10240) and every time I restart the computer, it will shutdown but after the screen shuts off, nothing will happen. The computer is still on but nothing happens. The only way to fix it is to hold the power button until the computer shuts off then turn it back on and then it will show the manufacture screen (Lenovo) and then it will boot into Windows. Is there anyway I can fix this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,271
    Windows 10 Home

    I would start by disabling "fast startup" and see if behavior changes. You can follow this tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    I would start by disabling "fast startup" and see if behavior changes. You can follow this tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    It worked. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,271
    Windows 10 Home

    You're very welcome!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    19 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    You're very welcome!
    So it worked for a while but the issue has appeared again and I turned fast startup back on and then turned it off and it has not worked this time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    19 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,889
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaYoshi View Post
    So it worked for a while but the issue has appeared again and I turned fast startup back on and then turned it off and it has not worked this time.
    Perhaps if you updated from 10249 to version 10586, the issue would disappear ?

    In case you need the followings............
    Download the iso file from one of the 2 links below:

    Media Creation Tool ( MCT ) :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select
    Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,271
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaYoshi View Post
    So it worked for a while but the issue has appeared again and I turned fast startup back on and then turned it off and it has not worked this time.
    I sympathize. I have a Dell laptop (per System Specs) also, not sure what model yours is. Although I've had fast startup disabled since the get-go, and keep it that way, I now have the problem on an intermittent basis.

    Sometimes it will shut down to complete lights out, other times it will only go down to where keyboard and power button are still lit, taking about a 5-10 second hold-down of power button to go completely off - seems to be about a 50/50 mix for me and, although I haven't spent a huge amount of time on it, I can't come up with any pattern or correlation to explain the mixed behavior.

    Although I will encourage you to do as davidhk suggests and update to latest build - just know that I'm on version 10586.63 and haven't seen the pattern change - which I think restarted occurring after the big November update to this 10586 build.

    Anyways, your reappearance, ZY, gives me an incentive to try to dig around further on this and let you know if I find anything - will monitor to see any progress reported in this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Perhaps if you updated from 10249 to version 10586, the issue would disappear ?

    In case you need the followings............
    Download the iso file from one of the 2 links below:

    Media Creation Tool ( MCT ) :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select
    Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.
    I am not sure if it is fixed yet because I just started installing, right now it's copying files but I am starting to think that it only happens if I restart through Windows Update because I decided to restart from the start menu and it shut down and then booted back up, but when tried installing the Fall Update through Windows Update (I didn't use the media creation tool to download it) it restarted so it can start installing but after it shut off, nothing came back up and the computer was still on but was not doing anything. I had to hold the power button to shut it off and then turn it back on so it could start installing. Right now it says 15%.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    27 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeldaYoshi View Post
    I am not sure if it is fixed yet because I just started installing, right now it's copying files but I am starting to think that it only happens if I restart through Windows Update because I decided to restart from the start menu and it shut down and then booted back up, but when tried installing the Fall Update through Windows Update (I didn't use the media creation tool to download it) it restarted so it can start installing but after it shut off, nothing came back up and the computer was still on but was not doing anything. I had to hold the power button to shut it off and then turn it back on so it could start installing. Right now it says 15%.
    Alright so I have waited a few days until there were some updates that required a restart before posting back to see if the problem continued and it still does nothing after restarting but after I got those updates installed, I have restarted the computer by going to the start menu and clicking on Power>Restart and when it shut down it actually came on and booted into Windows. I have even installed a software update for my antivirus (Kaspersky) and it asked me to restart now or later and I clicked on restart now and when it was shut down it came back on. So it must have something to do with Windows update causing that to happen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    27 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 38
    1607 - 14393.82

    I hope it's ok for you now, I have the same thing. Sometimes it reboots ok and sometimes it just hangs with the drive whirring faster than usual.
    I have just uploaded the latest update and that rebooted just fine. I would be surprised if it's the update, but we never know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 won't do a restart
I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade and ever since my computer will not do a restart. Whenever I try a restart, the computer idles down then just hangs there with fans running and blank screen. The only way I can restart it is to press the reset...
General Support
Solved Update issue.. UEFI firmware issue
14703 Any suggestions??
Installation and Upgrade
Win 10 Restart issue: computer won't get past "diagnosing issues"
Dell N4110 I wish I could get an error code on it, perhaps you guys can enlighten me. So I upgraded a couple weeks back to Win10 and it's been running sleeping restarting etc. Just fine. Then at random it shut down and has been stuck while...
General Support
Network adapter issue, not a driver issue.
After installing Windows 10 the wired Ethernet adapter is missing from the device manager. I found similar threads in the forum but most of the answers concern downloading of drivers for the adapter. My question is how do I download the adapter. One...
Network and Sharing
Solved Windows 10 Slow on Restart
Hi Guys, I have recently just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8 via the recommended way. However, I have noticed it take a bit longer to start up and restart than Windows 8, it's like I have gone back to Win Vista or 7. Firstly is this just...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums