Windows 10: Windows 10: The next chapter - 21st Jan Live event Discussion

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
  1.    21 Jan 2015 #251

    Layback Bear said: View Post
    I just watched the video from Microsoft and all I can say is WOW.

    At the present time I don't want to loose one of my Windows 7 COA keys so I will just buy a copy of W-10.
    Google eat your heart out.
    It will take some learning to be able to use the full spectrum of the abilities that will be built into Windows -10.
    My three brain cells are going to have to work overtime.
    Do you lose your 7 key by doing the free upgrade? I missed that part of the feed due to buffering issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,735
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       21 Jan 2015 #252

    I don't have any concrete evidence, but I would say no. A free upgrade does not mean you cant revert back.
    Last edited by Dude; 21 Jan 2015 at 18:45. Reason: lost word
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 20,725
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       21 Jan 2015 #253

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Layback Bear said: View Post
    I just watched the video from Microsoft and all I can say is WOW.

    At the present time I don't want to loose one of my Windows 7 COA keys so I will just buy a copy of W-10.
    Google eat your heart out.
    It will take some learning to be able to use the full spectrum of the abilities that will be built into Windows -10.
    My three brain cells are going to have to work overtime.
    Do you lose your 7 key by doing the free upgrade? I missed that part of the feed due to buffering issues.
    No. It just means that you are not suppose to use your 7 key as per EULA while you have the free 10 installed and activated.

    Once you format the free 10, you're free to reinstall your 7.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    21 Jan 2015 #254

    Dude said: View Post
    I don't have any concrete evidence, but I would say no. A free does not mean you cant revert back.
    Hm, that would mean blocking Windows 8.x and 7 OEM keys. Can't be done on Factory Windows 7 installs that use the OEM SLIC table for activation. Each OEM uses the one master key and they don't activate online anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    21 Jan 2015 #255

    Brink said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Layback Bear said: View Post
    I just watched the video from Microsoft and all I can say is WOW.

    At the present time I don't want to loose one of my Windows 7 COA keys so I will just buy a copy of W-10.
    Google eat your heart out.
    It will take some learning to be able to use the full spectrum of the abilities that will be built into Windows -10.
    My three brain cells are going to have to work overtime.
    Do you lose your 7 key by doing the free upgrade? I missed that part of the feed due to buffering issues.
    No. It just means that you are not suppose to use your 7 key as per EULA while you have the free 10 installed and activated.

    Once you format the free 10, you're free to reinstall your 7.
    That's what I was thinking also.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       21 Jan 2015 #256

    COMPUTIAC said: View Post
    z3r010 said: View Post
    This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

    Well, that settles that.
    No it doesn't at all. What if I have 8.1 licensed in a VM (which I do). What is a device? What if I move from VBox to VMware? What if I add another processor? What if I decide to run it on real hardware rather than an VM?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 487
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       21 Jan 2015 #257

    Thank you Shawn I didn't know that. I don't like or want to loose a perfectly good W-7 key.

    I just checked my W-10 computer hoping some new upgrade might be available. Nothing yet that I could find. Still on 9879. I want something new to try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 Jan 2015 #258

    adamf said: View Post
    COMPUTIAC said: View Post
    z3r010 said: View Post
    This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

    Well, that settles that.
    No it doesn't at all. What if I have 8.1 licensed in a VM (which I do). What is a device? What if I move from VBox to VMware? What if I add another processor? What if I decide to run it on real hardware rather than an VM?
    You likely have valid concerns, but for most people that have it installed on a physical device (PC) I think that answers the question. at least as far as who asked it anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 639
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
       21 Jan 2015 #259

    Layback Bear said: View Post
    Thank you Shawn I didn't know that. I don't like or want to loose a perfectly good W-7 key.

    I just checked my W-10 computer hoping some new upgrade might be available. Nothing yet that I could find. Still on 9879. I want something new to try.
    It will be there within a week.

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       21 Jan 2015 #260

    alphanumeric said: View Post

    You likely have valid concerns, but for most people that have it installed on a physical device (PC) I think that answers the question. at least as far as who asked it anyway.
    I have got TP installed (and licensed 8.1 in a VM I kept just in case). I'm not sure if I'm supposed to shuffle the licence around. Upgrade the VM? Move the VM back to real hardware to replace the preview as the primary OS? I'm going for 10 - I just haven't worked out how yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Related Threads
558451145354395649
Source: The next chapter of Office on Windows - Office Blogs
well it didn't last long and they didn't give much away. name. windows 10, is it good or bad I was asking myself, its silly as forever there will be a gap and the question of what happened to windows 9 will be forever asked. features. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04.
Find Us