Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    11 Jan 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts : 25
    Win 10 Beta and Windows 7

    Qurious question regarding NT


    Hey there, a mate of mine asked me this question and truly speaking I do not know the answer, therefore I am putting it to you guys for help. What version of NT would Win 10 be, this statement being based on the past facts that Windows XP was based on NT version 4 etc. So logically what would the case be with Win 10.
    I am just asking out of curiosity
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Jan 2015 #2
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,544
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    Hello this site says it will be NT10 and NT 6,4 as it shows now in the preview Windows 10 won
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    11 Jan 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,604
    Windows 10 IoT

    XP was actually NT 5.1, kernel version that is. Windows NT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It looks like Windows 10 will be NT 6.4, from what caperjack posted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    11 Jan 2015 #4
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dejager183 View Post
    Hey there, a mate of mine asked me this question and truly speaking I do not know the answer, therefore I am putting it to you guys for help. What version of NT would Win 10 be, this statement being based on the past facts that Windows XP was based on NT version 4 etc. So logically what would the case be with Win 10.
    I am just asking out of curiosity
    XP was based on Windows 2000, not NT4. Windows 2000 was NT5, and XP was 5.1. Vista was NT6, Windows 7 was NT6.1, Windows 8 was NT6.2, 8.1 is 6.3. Initially, Windows 10 has been NT 6.4, but rumor is that the new version will bump it to version 10. I am not sure if that is confirmed or not.
    Last edited by Mystere; 11 Jan 2015 at 18:13.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    11 Jan 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,604
    Windows 10 IoT

    Wasn't 7 - 6.1, 8 - 6.2 and 8.1 - 6.3?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    11 Jan 2015 #6
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,544
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    I link I posted above says its gonna skip a few numbers and be called nt10,likely better to wait and see
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    11 Jan 2015 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Wasn't 7 - 6.1, 8 - 6.2 and 8.1 - 6.3?
    Yes, I got my numbers skewed.. lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Jan 2015 #8

    Hi there.

    We all called Windows NT "Windows Neanderthal or Windows No Thanks" back in those days. Windows NT was probably the MOST USER UNFRIENDLY (probably User Aggressive is a better term) OS that I have ever seen incliding Command only Linuxes.

    To get ANYTHING to run that consumers would use - like USB devices / plug 'n play etc was either impossible or a NIGHTMARE. No wonder it made ZERO headway as a desktop OS. Any new hardware device usually failed to work - especially ones consumers liked. Boring old officy stuff would work but that's only OK if you are in a shop that only upgrades hardware every 40 years or so.

    Windows 2000 was a relevation after the Windows NT nonsense. Windows 2003 was the first REAL sensible server OS that Ms did. I still use it as a DESKTOP VM !! for running my old legacy XP hardware like Minidiscs / vinyl record studio recording / cutting etc etc.

    I think the only people who liked N.T were I.T admins because they were the only people who could understand it and it kept the mystique of "Geekness" going.

    I for one was NOT sorry to see it disappear for good -- and if anybody is still using it for servers they should get rid immediately - there's better CHEAPER and safer servers around these days.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    12 Jan 2015 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,604
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    We all called Windows NT "Windows Neanderthal or Windows No Thanks" back in those days. Windows NT was probably the MOST USER UNFRIENDLY (probably User Aggressive is a better term) OS that I have ever seen incliding Command only Linuxes.

    To get ANYTHING to run that consumers would use - like USB devices / plug 'n play etc was either impossible or a NIGHTMARE. No wonder it made ZERO headway as a desktop OS. Any new hardware device usually failed to work - especially ones consumers liked. Boring old officy stuff would work but that's only OK if you are in a shop that only upgrades hardware every 40 years or so.

    Windows 2000 was a relevation after the Windows NT nonsense. Windows 2003 was the first REAL sensible server OS that Ms did. I still use it as a DESKTOP VM !! for running my old legacy XP hardware like Minidiscs / vinyl record studio recording / cutting etc etc.

    I think the only people who liked N.T were I.T admins because they were the only people who could understand it and it kept the mystique of "Geekness" going.

    I for one was NOT sorry to see it disappear for good -- and if anybody is still using it for servers they should get rid immediately - there's better CHEAPER and safer servers around these days.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    We had NT 4 at work way back when and it was a PITA. "Plug and Pray" it worked. I absolutely loved Windows 2000. I could play my old games again. Most stuff worked when plugged in. Driver support eventually became top notch. Windows 2000 was likely my longest used OS on my home PC's. I held out until support ended and then reluctantly moved on to XP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Jan 2015 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,604
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by caperjack View Post
    I link I posted above says its gonna skip a few numbers and be called nt10,likely better to wait and see
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did that, they can code it to be whatever they like. It would be one way to make "some" people think it was a totally new OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Win 10 question
Okay, I hate Win 8 and absolutely refused to use it. To me Win 10 is hardly much better. First of all I'm not 20 years old anymore and don't give a darn about all these apps of which 98% are pointed toward kids. And where's the desktop with my...
General Support
W10 Reset question
So I upgraded and want to reset it now, after I pick remove everything it gives the option to remove my files or remove files and clean the drive. What does it mean by cleaning the drive and will it **** with my windows being registered at all?
Installation and Upgrade
Solved RTM question
I'm on 8.1 right now and downloaded the RTM build 10240. Can i install this to tinker and still get my free update when released?
General Support
Solved Quick question..
It seems for some reason that I can't expand the start menu horizontally. Vertical is fine but it's not moving in the horizontal direction past one column. Here's how I set it up: 1 Upgraded Win8.1 to 10240 with an ISO 2 Tried to add/mod the...
General Support
Question about IE 11?
Hi I thought I'd try using IE 11, since it's the first time I've been able to get it to work correctly since Windows 7. But I can't find a way to import my favorites from Chrome, (I know how to do it the other way around). Also it there a...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums