Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home

    Language Not Same as Installation


    Trying to update to W10 1511 10586. (From W10 10240) Tried normal update method from settings. Fails every time no error code just says it will try again. ( tried sfc /scannow no errors.)
    So downloaded ISO media. Tried to install, it gets into installing then stops saying "trying to install different language" so can't keep all apps and files. All Language set to English-UK, tried changing to English-US still no joy. Tried reinstalling earlier W10 10240 media from CD and get "Install failed" box.

    1) Is there a way of finding what W10 thinks is the original install language?
    2) How do I find the error code for the failed install so I can find out more about what is causing the failure.

    Thanks in advance
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    21 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Hello PeterMayhew1914 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

    By the description you have provided as far as not able to see the 10586 upgrade take place that leaves you with two options in particular to see this cleared up. The first would be the return to MS by way of the updated Media Creation tool where the updated 10 installer will automatically detect which language you are running as well as the edition(Home or Pro) and kernel(32bit or 64bit) when correctly choosing the English-UK option from the initial dropdown list for language.

    The second sure fire option as far as direct upgrades go would be enabling the "Get Insider builds" option requiring a full restart which should soon after present the latest 10586 Insider Preview build which doesn't see much of any difference from the Threshold 2 Update seen in November and is the one Insider build lacking any watermark from being the same.

    The Best and Smart Move option of course on the other hand would be to forget any upgrade buggy end result type of install for a direct clean install with the latest build which will solve all potential problems. The latest offers both Home and Pro in both 32/64bit as an updated 4 in 1 ISO disk image download you save to the drive. It's 5.48gb in size on disk being too large for a blank dvd or a 4gb drive.

    A clean install of course means putting on all programs fresh again but for the most part sees a stable OS introduced compared to any upgrade where things go sideways on you again?! Since 10 was already activated on your machine you wouldn't have to worry any about a fresh copy of 10 going on to replace the 10240 build. And an upgrade install from the 10240 to the latest wouldn't likely go as smoothly as say from either of the later two 10565, 10576 builds that go smooth as silk on physical as well as on VMs(Virtual Machines).

    When scrolling past the Upgrade Now option seen first at the top of the page you come to the part on the need to download the ISO where you click the button to arrive at the next page for the updated Media Creation tool you will want. Get Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    21 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterMayhew1914 View Post
    1) Is there a way of finding what W10 thinks is the original install language?
    Thanks in advance
    From an elevated command prompt ("Run as administrator" command prompt) type:

    dism /online /get-intl
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    You can simply copy and paste the text into the Command prompt(admin) option when right clicking on the Start button to select the option there. The information will then be displayed in the command prompt's window.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows Language Information at Elevated Command Prompt.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	54812
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    You can simply copy and paste the text into the Command prompt(admin) option when right clicking on the Start button to select the option there. The information will then be displayed in the command prompt's window.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows Language Information at Elevated Command Prompt.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	54812
    Thanks guys.
    tried command prompt and got error 193... Any ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_10_41_181.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	55278
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Unfortunately there are all kinds possible sources for that one! The description for that particular error code would "%1 is not a valid Win32 application". That can apply to iTunes as well as just about anything else you can think of as far as something loading sideways and perhaps trying to access a system reserved memory address without reaching the BSOD stage. "Blue Screen Of Death"

    Since 10 has already been activated on your machine the first thought now would be dump the idea of performing any upgrade install and simply go for broke with a nice clean install to get past all of the potential bugs including whatever is tripping up you at the moment! Backing up your files first plan on scrubbing the drive and staring over fresh should get you where you want to be.

    Now for any particular stringent apps first seeing them uninstalled while connected online should allow you to put those in particular back on fresh as certain software companies seem to mandate that with their one time only activations. for one pc in case you have any of those. Updates to the 10240 as well as it seems from the 10240 to newer builds seem to be problematic while the 10565 or 10576 to 10586 transitions go as smooth as silk.

    This is one of the main reasons for advising a fresh start with the Threshold since there tends to be a problem with the gap between the 10240 and 10586 builds as far as how things have progressed in 10 since the July release date. The 193 error is likely from the upgrade attempts leaving traces rather then a problematic program install at this point.

    And once again the idea for skipping the upgrade from the 10240 to latest build in favor of seeing a fresh clean install of the Threshold is what will work out for you. For some reason the 10240 is simply better off replaced entirely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    25 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    Unfortunately there are all kinds possible sources for that one! The description for that particular error code would "%1 is not a valid Win32 application". That can apply to iTunes as well as just about anything else you can think of as far as something loading sideways and perhaps trying to access a system reserved memory address without reaching the BSOD stage. "Blue Screen Of Death"

    Since 10 has already been activated on your machine the first thought now would be dump the idea of performing any upgrade install and simply go for broke with a nice clean install to get past all of the potential bugs including whatever is tripping up you at the moment! Backing up your files first plan on scrubbing the drive and staring over fresh should get you where you want to be.

    Now for any particular stringent apps first seeing them uninstalled while connected online should allow you to put those in particular back on fresh as certain software companies seem to mandate that with their one time only activations. for one pc in case you have any of those. Updates to the 10240 as well as it seems from the 10240 to newer builds seem to be problematic while the 10565 or 10576 to 10586 transitions go as smooth as silk.

    This is one of the main reasons for advising a fresh start with the Threshold since there tends to be a problem with the gap between the 10240 and 10586 builds as far as how things have progressed in 10 since the July release date. The 193 error is likely from the upgrade attempts leaving traces rather then a problematic program install at this point.

    And once again the idea for skipping the upgrade from the 10240 to latest build in favor of seeing a fresh clean install of the Threshold is what will work out for you. For some reason the 10240 is simply better off replaced entirely.
    Many thanks Night Hawk... I'm coming round to the idea of a clean install with the downloaded ISO of 10586 after "bleaching" the system drive. This may prevent further update problems. (It updates other more recent updates by the way)
    I always keep my data files on another drive so backup no problem. Just frustrating as it has taken a while to get some devices to work under W10 (eg ScanSnap Scanner) and having to reinstall all the apps. again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,127
    Windows 10 Pro

    First, there's a fast and easy way to check whether you have the US English or International English (also known as UK or GB English) Windows 10. Simply right click the desktop and check the context menu, the bottom most menu item in US English Windows is Personalize, whereas the UK / GB / International English Windows shows Personalise.

    US English:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_21_28_481.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	55353

    International (UK / GB) English:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_21_28_542.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	55354

    Upgrading with an install media of different language is possible but it only allows you to keep the personal files. This screenshot from a Finnish Windows 10 when trying to upgrade with UK English install media, keeping the apps is grayed out:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_21_34_544.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	55358

    Exception: when upgrading with different language keeping the apps is possible if both the underlying old Windows 10 and the upgrade install media are different variations of the same base language. This applies to English, Chinese, French, Portuguese and Spanish versions of Windows 10. In that case you get the warning as you told us:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_21_34_103.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	55357

    However, clicking OK, the next dialog shows that you can upgrade and keep your apps:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_21_35_395.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	55359

    Windows can now be upgraded. Examples:
    • If the old OS is US English Windows 10 and the upgrade media International English, the new upgraded OS will be International English Windows 10. All your apps will be there but to get Windows back to US English you need to install and apply the US English language pack.
    • If the old OS is French Windows 10 and the upgrade install media Canadian French, the new upgraded OS will be Canadian French Windows 10. All your apps will be there but to get Windows back to French you need to install and apply the French language pack.


    I hope this clarifies this a bit. In your case, check the English version you have installed with this simple Personalize / Personalise trick, then download the corresponding English ISO:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_25_21_42_016.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	55360

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    25 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    The "English" option in the image Kari posted there would be for the English US since MS is a US based software company. The International would be the one you would select for where you are in order to avoid any confusion while the language packs are the 34 optional updates most never actually see installed.

    As far as seeing everything put back on fresh that's the general rule you would generally have seen with any previous version to start with up until now with the free upgrade offer MS has going. If you just now seeing 10 go on for the first time I would have pointed you at the guide for bypassing the need for the initial upgrade and advised seeking up any updated driver sets for 8.1 which seem to work well on 10 if any were to be found depending on the age of a particular device such as the scanner you mentioned.

    Many programs would also need to have an updated 2015-2016 version available as well like your av program as a good example. So when going newer as far as the OS is concerned you should always expect you might need a few clean installs until things are well situated. Over the years this has been one of the main grievances businesses have had about upgrading not only the version but all their softwares as well and why MS has had to extend support for the older versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    26 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,127
    Windows 10 Pro

    I thought it is important to repeat this:

    Regarding the language versions of Windows 10 install media, the English International = British English. When you download the ISO image, it's named as Win10_1511_EnglishInternational_x64.iso or Win10_1511_EnglishInternational_x32.iso, but when you use it to install Windows 10 you will see the language version more clearly:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_12_26_08_09_591.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	55406
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
General Tips See Default System Language of Windows 10
How to See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 The system default UI language is the language of the localized version used to set up Windows. All menus, dialog boxes, error messages, and help files are represented in this language, except...
Tutorials
Solved How to change the language
During installing W10, I clicked the wrong language, making some squares in Start Menu are labelled with language which I cannot read. How do I change to the right language?
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How do I set one language for the WHOLE system?
I admit I use Japanese keyboard input by default. It all went well, only that 5 minutes ago the "tablet side" of the Windows 10's schizophrenic mind started to speak japanese... the rest is still in english, its just the apps and the tablet things...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums