Windows 10: Configuring an application so it doesn't show in the taskbar?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 Dec 2015 #1

    Configuring an application so it doesn't show in the taskbar?


    Is it possible to configure an application so it doesn't appear in the task bar?

    Thanks
    Dave
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,178
    Windows 10 Home
       21 Dec 2015 #2

    Right-click on its icon in the taskbar and select "Unpin from taskbar".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Dec 2015 #3

    Sorry, I should have been clearer. The application isn't pinned to the task bar.

    When the application is running, it appears in the task bar, and in this case I don't want it to appear there. I know it is possible to do it in code as some applications have configuration options that allow them not to show there ... (at least when minimised).

    Does that clarify what i'm looking for?

    Thanks
    Dave

    Sorry, I
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,331
    Windows 10 Professional
       21 Dec 2015 #4

    perdrix said: View Post
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. The application isn't pinned to the task bar.

    When the application is running, it appears in the task bar, and in this case I don't want it to appear there. I know it is possible to do it in code as some applications have configuration options that allow them not to show there ... (at least when minimised).

    Does that clarify what i'm looking for?

    Thanks
    Dave

    Sorry, I
    One of 3 things:
    - give the application shortcut a 'blank' icon,
    - move the running application to another 'Virtual Desktop'
    - download and run any one of a dozen softwares that will minimize a running application to the System Tray instead of the Taskbar.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,178
    Windows 10 Home
       21 Dec 2015 #5

    perdrix said: View Post
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. The application isn't pinned to the task bar.

    When the application is running, it appears in the task bar, and in this case I don't want it to appear there. I know it is possible to do it in code as some applications have configuration options that allow them not to show there ... (at least when minimised).

    Does that clarify what i'm looking for?

    Thanks
    Dave

    Sorry, I
    Ah, OK. Then maybe it's a matter of following Brink's Tutorial found here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,331
    Windows 10 Professional
       21 Dec 2015 #6

    I think this is more or less what the OP is after:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-21 16_40_07-.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	54711

    (It's only 'glowing' cuz my mouse had just hovered on it)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    21 Dec 2015 #7

    Except I don't want it in the task bar even when displayed Looks like I'm out of luck on this one
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 21,938
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       21 Dec 2015 #8

    perdrix said: View Post
    Except I don't want it in the task bar even when displayed Looks like I'm out of luck on this one
    You could open a new desktop, fire up your app, switch back to original desktop, and it won't show. Only on the desktop you started it on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 8,331
    Windows 10 Professional
       21 Dec 2015 #9

    perdrix said: View Post
    Except I don't want it in the task bar even when displayed Looks like I'm out of luck on this one
    ... Or,
    try "TrayIT"

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/trayit.html


      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 21,938
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       21 Dec 2015 #10

    Edwin, I just tried that and it appears all it does is move it to the notification tray.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
after upgrade to 10 my dvd-rom doesn't show i get the message Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Solved WU doesn't show build 10576 in Windows Insider
I'm running Insiders Preview build 10565 under a VM. When I run WU there is no new build 10576 Preview listed. I even reset Windows and I still can't get the new preview when I run WU. I am on the Fast Path and it's enabled. Any ideas on...
HP Coolsense doesn't show in tray in Software and Apps
Hi, I want to install HP coolsense cause my laptop get's a little too hot sometimes, but when I download from hp website and run it. Well it doesn't show up and I cannot find it on system, I would like to know if anyone has had this problem or...
Hi all, I just upgraded my computer to Windows 10 from Windows 8. With Windows 8, my laptop would display a lock screen everytime I turn the computer on, whether it was from sleep or from being shut down. However, immediately after upgrading, my...
Solved Network Data Usage Doesn't Show in Network and Sharing
On one of our computers Win 10 home 64 bit, the Network data usage shows "0" while the other 3 (home and pro 32 & 64) all show fine. I only noticed it because the router shows that unit acting as a black hole for data usage even if it sits idle a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41.
Find Us