Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10

    Taskbar not working after update


    Hi, I have an HP Pavillion laptop that came with windows 8.1, but I have upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded on launch day and everything was fine. I went out and left my computer on, when I came back, my computer was updating in a cool sci-fi looking gui, big percentage sign, categories with their own percentages, etc. Now my taskbar doesn't work.

    When I look at my taskbar as I write this, I see (From left to right)
    My Windows Logo, Cortana's "Ask my anything" and microphone. Task View, giant gap, my steam task menu icon, and my touch keyboard. Nothing but the steam and touch keyboard icons are interactive, and I have several things pinned on my taskbar, like my clock and google chrome. That aren't visible.

    Please help, I am not able to run some programs because I don't know the directory to run them from their folder.

    Thanks, :-)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 944
    Windows IP 17017

    Hi,
    Welcome to the forums, try sfc /scannow command:SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, option three in this tutorial.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    15 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    Hi,
    Welcome to the forums, try sfc /scannow command:SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, option three in this tutorial.
    How do i run a command prompt in admin mode, if I can't access my start menu. I've tried Win+R but it doesn't run admin'd mode. So it denied me access.
    Found a better way than the one reccomended to me.
    Ctrl+Shift+Esc > Command Prompt > File > Run New Task > type cmd > Check the elevated privileges box.
    Last edited by MattHellstrands; 15 Dec 2015 at 21:09.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    Hi,
    Welcome to the forums, try sfc /scannow command:SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, option three in this tutorial.
    Did it. Got this as a result

    Verification 64% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,787
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    MattHellstrands,

    How to access elevated command prompt.................
    Restart your computer > when you come to the sign in screen, do NOT sign in .
    Bottom right is a Power icon. Left click at it will give you Restart.
    Press SHIFT key and Hold > click Restart > click Troubleshoot > click Advanced options > select Command Prompt.
    That is your Administrator command prompt.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Santa Rosa, CA, US
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by MattHellstrands View Post
    Hi, I have an HP Pavillion laptop that came with windows 8.1, but I have upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded on launch day and everything was fine. I went out and left my computer on, when I came back, my computer was updating in a cool sci-fi looking gui, big percentage sign, categories with their own percentages, etc. Now my taskbar doesn't work.

    When I look at my taskbar as I write this, I see (From left to right)
    My Windows Logo, Cortana's "Ask my anything" and microphone. Task View, giant gap, my steam task menu icon, and my touch keyboard. Nothing but the steam and touch keyboard icons are interactive, and I have several things pinned on my taskbar, like my clock and google chrome. That aren't visible.

    Please help, I am not able to run some programs because I don't know the directory to run them from their folder.

    Thanks, :-)
    Open Task Manager go to the Processes tab scroll down to Windows Explore and right click on that process and left click on restart. Then see if the taskbar is now fully functional.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheO View Post
    Open Task Manager go to the Processes tab scroll down to Windows Explore and right click on that process and left click on restart. Then see if the taskbar is now fully functional.
    Thanks for the help, but it doesn't work, I've already done that a few times in attempt to get this to work. Still doesn't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,787
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    MattHellstrands,

    If you still want to run sfc /scannow successfully, please follow the steps listed below.
    I've just finished doing it...........................Result : Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Restart your computer > do NOT sign in >bottom right, click the Power icon to show the Restart option > press Shift key and Hold > click Restart >Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > right side, click the Restart button > you are now choosing Safe Mode options > press 6 at the keyboard > sign in > you have now an Administrator: cmd.exe to run your sfc /scannow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    16 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 944
    Windows IP 17017

    Quote Originally Posted by MattHellstrands View Post
    Did it. Got this as a result

    Verification 64% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
    Then try running DISM command from this tutorial, after completing run sfc command again.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    22 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Sorry I went away for a while, I tried the sfc command, and it worked temporarily, even though it said after finishing it couldn't perform the requested operation. But it keeps not working, I tried the DISM command and then the sfc again, and it made no difference. Works for a bit, then stops.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Taskbar/Start button not working!
I have Window 10, just upgraded it was working great I turned my computer off and went to bed last night. Today I turn it on and now when I click the start button or windows key. The mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and...
General Support
Solved Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone
After a recent compulsory update (13th Dec) to Windows 10, my start menu won't open by clicking on the icon or by the windows key. The search button also doesn't respond. All programs previously pinned to the taskbar no longer appear, even when open...
Windows Updates and Activation
Taskbar/Start Button NOT WORKING
Hello, I have a Surface Pro 3, updated for Windows 10. I have been switching in and out of tablet mode, and I find myself at a point where now my task bar are not working. For example, when I click on the "Action Center" nothing pops up, or...
General Support
Taskbar Items Not working
Start, Search items won't open from the taskbar. Clicking on Start or search results in the busy icon showing for less that a second and nothing else happens! Tried restarting explorer - no joy.
General Support
Taskbar explorer-link not working
Hello. I have pinned explorer to my taskbar. I have added links to my explorer icon on the taskbar. (Such as Z:\Games\ and Z:\Movies\) But when I right-click the explorer icon, then left-click the link nothing happens. I can hear that my hdd...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums