Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    18 Dec 2015 #21
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    The OP could just change his bios to legacy boot mode. It looks like somehow the disk got converted from a GPT disk to MBR. In the first screenshot, there is the 128mb unallocated space that would have been the 128mb "MSR" partition that serves no purpose on a GPT disk.

    I wonder if at some point the original hard drive was replaced (GPT) and a clone was done but the new disk was set to MBR? In fact, looking at the first screenshot, I bet I see what happened. The original system disk was drive 0 - looks like 500gb disk. Somebody wanted to upgrade to a 1 TB disk which is drive 1. They installed the 1 TB disk as drive 1 and cloned drive 0 to drive 1 (probably by just copying partitions over and expanding the Windows system partition). They didn't set drive 1 to GPT first. Then they wiped drive 0 and created the funky single logical partition on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Dec 2015 #22
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 100
    Windows 10

    Convert your Disk into GPT. I got instructions from Microsoft Technet.
    Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk
    Your welcome,
    MSM
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 Dec 2015 #23
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Thank you for the replies. Sorry but everyone must have missed the bit where I said "need to dumb it down" and "step by step instructions". You are all speaking a foreign language. OP, MBR, MSR, GPT, GUID, EUDFI, QUASIMODO??????????? How many abbreviations and acronyms are there? I am now totally confused and do not know what I am supposed to do first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Dec 2015 #24
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,282
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by MSMPlayz View Post
    Convert your Disk into GPT. I got instructions from Microsoft Technet.
    Change a Master Boot Record Disk into a GUID Partition Table Disk
    Your welcome,
    MSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Author of linked article
    ... You can change a disk from MBR to GPT partition style as long as the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes. ...
    I'm getting the impression that's a bit more than OP is asking for and suited to deal with at the moment.

    @Gumtree - would you be willing to, for the time being, try changing the boot mode in your BIOS as NavyLCDR suggests? We can help you through that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Dec 2015 #25
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    I'm getting the impression that's a bit more than OP is asking for and suited to deal with at the moment.

    @Gumtree - would you be willing to, for the time being, try changing the boot mode in your BIOS as NavyLCDR suggests? We can help you through that.
    Okay I just checked my bios and it appears I am already in Legacy boot mode.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    19 Dec 2015 #26
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Gumtree View Post
    I am now totally confused and do not know what I am supposed to do first.
    Create a bootable Windows 10 (version 1511, build 10586) USB flash drive. Windows 10

    Then you will need to reinstall Windows 10. To reinstall Windows, you will need to delete all the partitions on your drive, and install on the unallocated drive, that way Windows can make its own partitions it needs to run.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 Dec 2015 #27
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 100
    Windows 10

    Have you got the option to change from Legacy to UEFI?
    If so, make sure your SATA mode is in AHCI or IDE, not RAID.
    Before doing that, you will need to create a copy of Legitimate Windows 10 to boot from. To do that, you can go to the following download link by Microsoft:
    Windows 10 ISO
    Select which Windows version you currently have, and click download.
    Once you've downloaded it, you will need to download Rufus for allowing you to boot from the USB (Universal Serial Bus Controller). The link is below:
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    When that's done, insert you're USB Drive and start up Rufus. Make sure to allow Rufus to make changes to your Computer.
    Rufus should now appear. Select your USB Drive and select you're ISO. When you've done that, change the Boot Type to "GPT for UEFI Based." And click start.
    You're done creating you're Legit Windows 10 Flash Drive. Leave you're flash drive in your PC and shut you're PC down. Repeatedly tap F2, F8 or Del(ete) to enter you're BIOS. You are now in your BIOS. Make the changes that I told you to at the top of my current post. Adding to that, make sure to change the boot order so that you're USB is top priority in booting first. Once you've done all of that, save your changes and exit.
    Wait a while as you're USB drive is being booting in to. If it has not been booted into, restart you're PC. You are now in the Windows 10 Installer.
    IMPORTANT-MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOURE IMPORTANT DATA ONTO ANOTHER USB FLASH DRIVE BEFORE CONTINUING.
    Press "Shift and F10," at the same time and Command Prompt will start up. Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.
    At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.
    At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.
    At the DISKPART prompt, type clean. The command will take 1-4 Hours to execute and will COMPLETELY ERASE you're hard drive.
    Once that's done type in "convert gpt."
    Type in "exit," and then type in "exit," again. You're Command Prompt Window is now closed. Carry on with the installation process. If it asks you for you're Product Key, press the Skip button.
    When the screen that says Upgrade or Custom comes up, select Custom.
    You're now in the Custom option. Click the next button and Windows should start Copying Files and Ggetting them Ready. When the screen that says "You're PC will restart in () seconds, pull you're USB out.
    Windows should now get you're drivers ready.
    Once that's done, carry on with the installation progress yourself and you are done! The only reason you will have to do the last step yourself is because it asks you personal questions and what you would prefer.
    When you are at the Windows 10 home screen, insert you're USB with you're important files and drag you're files onto you're desktop. There, Windows 10 is now installed and fresh.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    19 Dec 2015 #28
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by MSMPlayz View Post
    Have you got the option to change from Legacy to UEFI?
    If so, make sure your SATA mode is in AHCI or IDE, not RAID.
    Before doing that, you will need to create a copy of Legitimate Windows 10 to boot from. To do that, you can go to the following download link by Microsoft:
    Windows 10 ISO
    Select which Windows version you currently have, and click download.
    Once you've downloaded it, you will need to download Rufus for allowing you to boot from the USB (Universal Serial Bus Controller). The link is below:
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    When that's done, insert you're USB Drive and start up Rufus. Make sure to allow Rufus to make changes to your Computer.
    Rufus should now appear. Select your USB Drive and select you're ISO. When you've done that, change the Boot Type to "GPT for UEFI Based." And click start.
    You're done creating you're Legit Windows 10 Flash Drive. Leave you're flash drive in your PC and shut you're PC down. Repeatedly tap F2, F8 or Del(ete) to enter you're BIOS. You are now in your BIOS. Make the changes that I told you to at the top of my current post. Adding to that, make sure to change the boot order so that you're USB is top priority in booting first. Once you've done all of that, save your changes and exit.
    Wait a while as you're USB drive is being booting in to. If it has not been booted into, restart you're PC. You are now in the Windows 10 Installer.
    IMPORTANT-MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOURE IMPORTANT DATA ONTO ANOTHER USB FLASH DRIVE BEFORE CONTINUING.
    Press "Shift and F10," at the same time and Command Prompt will start up. Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.
    At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.
    At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.
    At the DISKPART prompt, type clean. The command will take 1-4 Hours to execute and will COMPLETELY ERASE you're hard drive.
    Once that's done type in "convert gpt."
    Type in "exit," and then type in "exit," again. You're Command Prompt Window is now closed. Carry on with the installation process. If it asks you for you're Product Key, press the Skip button.
    When the screen that says Upgrade or Custom comes up, select Custom.
    You're now in the Custom option. Click the next button and Windows should start Copying Files and Ggetting them Ready. When the screen that says "You're PC will restart in () seconds, pull you're USB out.
    Windows should now get you're drivers ready.
    Once that's done, carry on with the installation progress yourself and you are done! The only reason you will have to do the last step yourself is because it asks you personal questions and what you would prefer.
    When you are at the Windows 10 home screen, insert you're USB with you're important files and drag you're files onto you're desktop. There, Windows 10 is now installed and fresh.
    Oh noooooh! So does this mean I have to re-install Windows? This suggests I am going to lose a lot of data and will have to re-install all my software? It will also take ages. I purchased this system new with Windows 10 installed. I wonder why the tech installed it this way? I wonder if I should just leave it as is and keep using, as the thing is it works fine.

    I checked bios and yes there is an option to change to UEFI. I have changed this setting and yes SATA mode was already set for IDE. The system boots normally but still will not allow the upgrade.

    I still think Microsoft should provide a tool to fix this problem, considering they are the ones being so picky. The system works fine, so upgrades should be possible without the need to re-install Windows.

    I am going to try Steve's solution at Post #7 first, as it seems the least "aggressive".

    Solution
    The successful solution I implemented is shown below.



    1. Perform a full backup of your Windows system (I recommend Macrium Reflect). Your PC may be unbootable if the repair is not implemented correctly.
    2. Boot the computer using the Windows 8 installation bootable DVD. Make sure you boot the media in the same configuration as your UEFI installation.
    3. On the ‘Windows Setup’ wizard click on ‘Next’ and click on ‘Repair your computer’.
    4. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose.
    5. Click on ‘Troubleshoot’ then click on ‘Advanced Option’ and then click on ‘Command Prompt’.
    6. Type these commands on the Command Prompt for UEFI configuration:




    • diskpart (opens Disk Partitioning tool)
    • select disk 0 (or whichever disk is your system disk)
    • list volume (please note the number of the volume that has no drive letter assigned and has FAT32 listed in the FS column, usually the only FAT32 volume/partition)
    • select volume x <where x is the number of 100-500 MB FAT32 volume with no drive letter, or with label ESP, EFI or SYSTEM>
    • assign letter=Z: (gives drive letter Z: to EFI System Partition)
    • list volume (to check drive letter Z: is correctly assigned)
    • exit (closes Disk Partitioning tool)
    • cd /d Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\ (changes current folder in Command Prompt window)
    • attrib Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -h -r -s (removes hidden, read-only and system attributes from BCD folder)
    • bootrec /fixboot (writes a new boot sector to the system partition)
    • ren Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD BCD.old (renames BCD folder to BCD.old)
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-gb /s b: /f ALL (en-gb is for the UK - use your own locale)




    Installation Checking

    Your boot configuration is probably correctly configured if the following commands report correctly.



    1. Confirm the PC boots
    2. Run bcdedit and confirm boot configuration is correct. You can use bcdedit /enum all for the full details,
    3. Run reagentc /info and check recovery configuration is correct. In my case, Windows RE was not configured and I had to run regaentc /enable to enable it.
    4. Run bcdedit /export <yourfilename> and confirm the command works
    5. Minitool Partition Wizard may be used to explore the EFI system partition and confirm the correct files have been copied



    Your Windows 10 installation should proceed correctly once the above error is fixed. I only wish Microsoft would use more informative error messages which would have saved me significant time and effort trying to solve this problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Dec 2015 #29
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 100
    Windows 10

    Hello again,
    My method would ERASE YOUR HARD DRIVE COMPLETELY LEAVING NO TRACKS AND TRAILS. I suggested you moved your important files to another flash drive and when the process has finished, drag them back onto your desktop. I can help you make a Backup Drive of Everything but I would recommend just backing up your important files. Yes, you will need to reinstall your software, but if you backup everything, you don't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Dec 2015 #30
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by MSMPlayz View Post
    Hello again,
    My method would ERASE YOUR HARD DRIVE COMPLETELY LEAVING NO TRACKS AND TRAILS. I suggested you moved your important files to another flash drive and when the process has finished, drag them back onto your desktop. I can help you make a Backup Drive of Everything but I would recommend just backing up your important files. Yes, you will need to reinstall your software, but if you backup everything, you don't.
    Thanks. Yes I appreciated all of your help with the extremely detailed instructions. That must have taken you a long time to compile. I tried Steve's method first but it would not work in my situation. My drive partitions were just too badly stuffed.

    I tried your method next. I now have everything back as before (I used Macrium Reflect to copy my data and reinstall it). At first it would not boot, so I ran the Boot fix in Macrium and it booted up. The system is reasonably stable but there are still a couple of issues. The first is Windows takes a very long time to boot up now (like about 3-4 minutes). The second problem is that I am intermittently getting a BSOD with the error message: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Storahci.sys). I managed to open CCleaner and did a registry scan for errors. It fixed about two dozen errors. I know people say to never use the registry cleaner in CCleaner, but I did and it stopped the BSOD in its tracks... so far. I also ran sfc /scannow and it fixed a very large number of problems.

    I will retry the update to see if it will install now.
    Last edited by Gumtree; 20 Dec 2015 at 05:27.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
General Tips Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10
How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output system). This standard was created by over 140...
Tutorials
Performance & Maintenance Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows
How to Enable or Disable Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows The Fast Boot feature for UEFI motherboards has a Fast and Ultra Fast option that allows your PC to boot much faster than normal. This tutorial will show you how to...
Tutorials
Solved Update issue.. UEFI firmware issue
14703 Any suggestions??
Installation and Upgrade
UEFI firmware settings screen
I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (32Bit), Since, I have lost access to my DVD drive. The Device Manager shows: 45463 The drive has always been connected and worked fine with Windows 7; the hardware has never been altered or messed...
Drivers and Hardware
Is this disk layout an issue?
I converted my system to two RAID 0 2 TB SSDs, so I have one C: drive using both SSDs. I created the RAID 0 array using Ctrl-I on boot. I then restored a Macrium image. After I did that, I booted up Windows 10 Pro, and I looked at Disk...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums