Windows 10: Desktop Solved

  1.    11 Dec 2015 #1

    Desktop


    Is it possible to place items on the desk top instead of the task bar,and if so how.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 3,594
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1809 Build 17763.55 and W10 Insider Build 18262
       11 Dec 2015 #2

    Right clicking on items such as a .exe file will allow you to select Send to and one of the options is Desktop where it will add it as a shortcut.

    You will need to search to find the folder where you apps or programs are stored. One way to do this is to type the name into the search bar and if the item appears you can usually right click on it and select Open file location, this will take you to the folder with the file allowing you to do the Send-to operation.

    Hope this is what you were asking for!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,227
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       11 Dec 2015 #3

    willden said: View Post
    Is it possible to place items on the desk top instead of the task bar,and if so how.
    Yes, you can actually place a file on your desktop.

    Example : I have a folder of my Christmas watercolor drawings. I can use the Copy To right click context menu and place a copy (not shortcut) of the folder to the desktop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 Dec 2015 #4

    The desktop is just a folder and you can deal with it accordingly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Dec 2015 #5

    philc43 said: View Post
    Right clicking on items such as a .exe file will allow you to select Send to and one of the options is Desktop where it will add it as a shortcut.

    You will need to search to find the folder where you apps or programs are stored. One way to do this is to type the name into the search bar and if the item appears you can usually right click on it and select Open file location, this will take you to the folder with the file allowing you to do the Send-to operation.

    Hope this is what you were asking for!
    It's easier to find the application in the Start All Apps list and drag it to the desktop. That will create a shortcut.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. philc43's Avatar
    Posts : 3,594
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1809 Build 17763.55 and W10 Insider Build 18262
       11 Dec 2015 #6

    PJLLB said: View Post
    It's easier to find the application in the Start All Apps list and drag it to the desktop. That will create a shortcut.
    Thanks for the easier route, I thought that moved the item which is why I did not suggest it, there are always multiple ways to do the same thing!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I'm not sure if this should go under the topic of General Help or Customization. Since it is about personalizing I opted to post it here. I've got a Lenovo Desktop that was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 just after the release. I have a Toshiba Laptop...
Hi, please forgive me if this has already been asked, I have run a search on "Virtual Desktop" but found almost 2000 results. If I have 2 virtual desktops VD1 and VD2 for explanation sake. I have various items open on both VD1 and VD2, VD1 is...
Read more at: Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? | ZDNet AmF_izdlsvY
Solved Desktop icon on desktop in Installation and Upgrade
Hi, A desktop icon suddenly appeared on my desktop.. If I delete it, the whole desktop is also deleted... The desktop folder on the drive, does not contain that icon. Does anyone has any experience with this scenario? :) woodyard
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:55.
Find Us