Windows 10: Boot takes many minutes before loading Solved

  1.    07 Dec 2015 #1

    Boot takes many minutes before loading


    HP desktop I just put new hard drive in and installed Windows 10.
    The Windows 7 hard drive was failing, had no backup or image.
    Tried to access drive with USB but drive too far gone.
    Decided to install Windows 10 as an upgrade. After a few minor glitches like no activation, was finally able to install and activate.
    Used USB Build 10586, 1511 and was able to activate using the Key on the COA sticker. (Thanks, alphanumerical).
    PC now will take up to 20 minutes before boot.
    The black screen, blue Windows flag and spinning dots just sits there.
    All of a sudden, it continues to boot.
    I don't have any programs, (oops, sorry, apps), starting.
    In fact, it just booted now to the User name, passed, and now is at Desktop. Had been starting for about 20 minutes as I'm posting this.
    In the Task Manager, Startup, I don't have anything enabled.

    Pete
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Gas's Avatar
    Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       07 Dec 2015 #2

    cfourkays said: View Post
    HP desktop I just put new hard drive in and installed Windows 10.
    The Windows 7 hard drive was failing, had no backup or image.
    Tried to access drive with USB but drive too far gone.
    Decided to install Windows 10 as an upgrade. After a few minor glitches like no activation, was finally able to install and activate.
    Used USB Build 10586, 1511 and was able to activate using the Key on the COA sticker. (Thanks, alphanumerical).
    PC now will take up to 20 minutes before boot.
    The black screen, blue Windows flag and spinning dots just sits there.
    All of a sudden, it continues to boot.
    I don't have any programs, (oops, sorry, apps), starting.
    In fact, it just booted now to the User name, passed, and now is at Desktop. Had been starting for about 20 minutes as I'm posting this.
    In the Task Manager, Startup, I don't have anything enabled.

    Pete
    In the post you did mention the dual boot, then you installed a copy of W8.1 then acivated it, then you installed W10 activaing it with the W7 key, i think Windows is getting confused about what and how activate OSs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Dec 2015 #3

    No, I was giving background.
    This is a clean install on a new hard drive. No dual boot.
    I never installed 8.1, where do you see I said that.
    If you forget what I said about my initial attempts, I just have a Windows 10 Home, clean installed on a new hard drive, that takes up to 20 minutes to get past initial boot screen.
    Sorry about the confusion.

    Pete
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Gas's Avatar
    Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       08 Dec 2015 #4

    cfourkays said: View Post
    No, I was giving background.
    This is a clean install on a new hard drive. No dual boot.
    I never installed 8.1, where do you see I said that.
    If you forget what I said about my initial attempts, I just have a Windows 10 Home, clean installed on a new hard drive, that takes up to 20 minutes to get past initial boot screen.
    Sorry about the confusion.

    Pete
    That is what is written in your System Specs:"OS 8.1 with W-10 Pro Dual Boot"
    If you just installed and the OS is activated, you are not supposed to have installed many programs and relating settings and having an SSD I would reinstall the OS it wouldn't take more than a 15/20 minutes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Dec 2015 #5

    I'm working on a customer's PC. Not my own.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Dec 2015 #6

    For what its worth, I had the original hd installed as the second drive. It was not in the boot sequence.
    However, when I removed it, PC now boots normally. First time I've had a second drive causing a slow boot.
    Probably should have noticed when it was the initial boot sequence that was taking so long.
    Thanks to all who chipped in.

    Pete
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Dec 2015 #7

    cfourkays said: View Post
    For what its worth, I had the original hd installed as the second drive. It was not in the boot sequence.
    However, when I removed it, PC now boots normally. First time I've had a second drive causing a slow boot.
    Well, in your original post you stated that the original drive was failing. There's nothing unusual in failing drive slowing down the boot process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    11 Dec 2015 #8

    I'm should be more clear. The failing, (failed) drive was listed last in the BIOS Boot.
    The new drive is listed as first boot.
    The boot process should never have reached the bad drive.
    I put it there with the thought that I might be able to use a more forensic type program to access the data from the bad drive.
    Never thought it would affect the boot time or even be considered.
    Pete
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    11 Dec 2015 #9

    Obviously if that's the 1st Boot in the BIOS which it wasn't.

    AndreyT said: View Post
    Well, in your original post you stated that the original drive was failing. There's nothing unusual in failing drive slowing down the boot process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Dual boot startup takes long time in Performance & Maintenance
Started with a dual boot Windows 7 pro / XP HP Elite 8300. Upgraded Windows 7 to 10 and now it seems to take forever for the boot menu to show up. I can hit restart, it shuts down then just sits there doing nothing for several minutes. No hard drive...
So, I've encountered this issue lately where Windows 10 takes considerably longer to boot than before. (Usually 4 to 5 minutes) It used to boot under 30 seconds before so I don't know what went wrong here. So, the screen with the Windows logo...
BSOD after 30 minutes after boot in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I run Win10 under Parallels at MacBook. Few days ago it started to crash about 30 minutes after boot. I don't need to do anything, just wait and it will die. Usually it's REGISTRY_ERROR, but sometimes another error. sfc shows some errors, but...
slow boot with black screen halt one minutes in Performance & Maintenance
i have a laptop with 1 gb graphics card of amd and recently i have installed windows 10 pro. when i boot the pc then windows logo comes and a circle revolves for few seconds( which is general) but after that a black screen comes for almost one...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57.
Find Us