Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    04 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Georgia
    Posts : 810
    windows 10 home premium

    Windows.old


    When I open my C Disk I still have Windows.old ,Does any one else still have it I Thought it was supposed to go away after a month It's not causing any problems I was just curious. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 964
    Windows IP 17046

    It won't go after one month, run Disk clean up as admin and select windows.old.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    04 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,591
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
    It won't go after one month, run Disk clean up as admin and select windows.old.
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    04 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,868
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrypc1 View Post
    When I open my C Disk I still have Windows.old ,Does any one else still have it I Thought it was supposed to go away after a month It's not causing any problems I was just curious. Thanks.
    No, the Windows.old folder will stay their forever, unless the user removes it. What you could do is make a image backup of your C-drive using a program like Macrium Reflect, to any 2nd hard drive, then delete your Windows.old folder IF you want too.

    My mistake, as Disk Cleanup will also remove it too. my bad.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    04 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,193
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Instead of using the regular Disk Cleanup by typing from run command: cleanmgr
    It is better to run it in extended mode. You'll have a lot more options.
    From Admin command prompt:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Screen shot of Disk Cleanup in extended mode:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	51813
    Last edited by topgundcp; 04 Dec 2015 at 09:11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,868
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Instead of using the regular Disk Cleanup by typing from run command: cleanmgr
    It is better to run it in extended mode. You'll have a lot more options.
    From Admin command prompt: Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

    Screen shot of Disk Cleanup in extended mode:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	51813
    This does offer a lot more choices, but it never shows the user anything, does not show if its even running, or how much disk space it saved, or files it removed......wish it would display whats it actually doing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    04 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,193
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    This does offer a lot more choices, but it never shows the user anything, does not show if its even running, or how much disk space it saved, or files it removed......wish it would display whats it actually doing.
    It sure does. It even asks you for confirmation if you want to really delete files that will not allow you to roll back to previous Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,929
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    It sure does. It even asks you for confirmation if you want to really delete files that will not allow you to roll back to previous Windows.
    I second that... I surely does show progress...

    It is also Option 9 in Image-Health
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,868
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    It sure does. It even asks you for confirmation if you want to really delete files that will not allow you to roll back to previous Windows.
    I just ran this twice, it only came up to give me the choices of what I wanted to remove, then after I ran it, it shows me nothing. I saw nothing as far as any progress????

    This command does show me a little more, actually shows me its running, but that's all it does.

    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    04 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,929
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10

    Attachment 51822

    I would think you have one windows behind the other
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums