Windows 10: Where is Adobe Gamma in Windows 10?

  1.    26 Nov 2015 #1

    Where is Adobe Gamma in Windows 10?


    Hello everyone

    Windows used to display an icon for Adobe Gamma (used to calibrate your screen as explained at Using Adobe Gamma on Windows - Support Knowledgebase) in the Control Panel once installed Photoshop. However, the Control Panel of Windows 10 does not show it or its search engine does not return any search results for Adobe Gamma.

    Is it possible to use Adobe Gamma in Windows 10? If so, please let me know how you succeeded in doing so.

    Thank you in advance
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 819
    Windows 10 Home/10 Pro x 3/Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
       26 Nov 2015 #2

    @nutzer2015 If all you want to do is just calibrate your Display then the settings can be found in - Control Panel > Color Management, select the Advanced Tab from new menu that opens and navigate to the "Calibrate display" button.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	50696
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    27 Nov 2015 #3

    Thanks for the reply. When I entered 'Calibration' in the search box, it returned 'Calibrate display color'.
    I've found this feature quite useful in that it lets you adjust the gamma, brightness and greyscale of your screen.

    It appears that Adobe Gamma is no longer required with these features.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Nov 2015 #4

    Hi there
    It might actually be better to use the actual Hardware controls if your monitor has it from the menu.

    Decent monitors have loads of decent colour profiles etc -- enable by using the Menu on the handset or front panel --these days I think about 99% of monitors you'll have to use the handset to gain access to these functions.

    There's usually loads of goodies such as tint, colour temp etc etc which give you way more control than the old adobe gamma / icc profiles.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    27 Nov 2015 #5

    Adobe Gamma is third party software, is your machine a packaged PC such as a Dell or HP?

    A quick search reveals that the software was discontinued.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    27 Nov 2015 #6

    nutzer2015 said: View Post
    Is it possible to use Adobe Gamma in Windows 10? If so, please let me know how you succeeded in doing so.
    Firstly, the purpose of Adobe Gamma is to load calibration data from the current color profile (prepared in advance) into the LUT table of your video card. This functionality has been integrated into Windows itself (since Windows Vista). This "LUT loading" is exactly what happens when you enable Use Windows display calibration checkbox in Advanced tab of Color Management applet in Control Panel. If you use color profiles with your display, it is recommended to login as administrator, go to Color Management applet, hit Change system defaults button and enable that Use Windows display calibration option on system-wide level.

    Secondly, as stated above, Adobe Gamma is no longer needed and no longer supplied with current versions of Photoshop. But if you install the old Adobe Photoshop CS2, which includes Adobe Gamma, then I believe you should get that Adobe Gamma applet. What version of Photoshop are you installing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 Nov 2015 #7

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    There's usually loads of goodies such as tint, colour temp etc etc which give you way more control than the old adobe gamma / icc profiles.
    That's actually the exact opposite of the truth. No monitor in the world even comes close to the amount of control provided by an ICC profile. They are not even trying to. And ICC profiles have nothing to do with Adobe.

    The advent of standardized monitor color profiling through ICC profiles is the reason why even the most expensive modern professional monitors no longer attempt to fight this losing battle by providing any precise manual "hardware control goodies". The hardware provides only the rough calibration capabilities (and, yes, it is always a good idea to set these as close to perfection as possible), but the final tuning is always done through an ICC profile.

    Professional devices might be capable of self-calibration, but that's a different story. And in many cases the underlying mechanism is still the same: ICC profiles.
    Last edited by AndreyT; 27 Nov 2015 at 14:01.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    28 Nov 2015 #8

    AndreyT said: View Post
    Firstly, the purpose of Adobe Gamma is to load calibration data from the current color profile (prepared in advance) into the LUT table of your video card. This functionality has been integrated into Windows itself (since Windows Vista). This "LUT loading" is exactly what happens when you enable Use Windows display calibration checkbox in Advanced tab of Color Management applet in Control Panel. If you use color profiles with your display, it is recommended to login as administrator, go to Color Management applet, hit Change system defaults button and enable that Use Windows display calibration option on system-wide level.

    Secondly, as stated above, Adobe Gamma is no longer needed and no longer supplied with current versions of Photoshop. But if you install the old Adobe Photoshop CS2, which includes Adobe Gamma, then I believe you should get that Adobe Gamma applet. What version of Photoshop are you installing?
    Great, that's exactly what I wanted to find out about. I use Photoshop CC, so that's the very reason the applet is no longer available: I have checked the ample settings the Color Management applet offers and will stick with them.

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    28 Nov 2015 #9

    AndreyT said: View Post
    . The hardware provides only the rough calibration capabilities (and, yes, it is always a good idea to set these as close to perfection as possible), but the final tuning is always done through an ICC profile.
    Professional devices might be capable of self-calibration, but that's a different story. And in many cases the underlying mechanism is still the same: ICC profiles.
    When I read the title and saw 'Adobe Gamma' my first thought was where have you been for the last ten years or so? I vaguely remember using it, and then being told by my monitor profiling software to make sure I removed Adobe Gamma or dire things might happen!

    'Calibration' and 'Profiling' are two distinct processes, usually done in two stages by monitor profiling hardware and software. To do both accurately you need a colorimeter or spectrophotometer (ColorMunki, i1Display, Spyder, or similar). It measures the colors produced by the graphics card on the monitor and corrects them roughly (Calibration), and then goes on to measure accurately what colors are produced when a range of rgb values are sent to the monitor. These results are stored in the icc/icm color profile for that monitor.

    Each time you boot up, the new calibration values should be applied to your graphics card (you may notice this slight change in color on your screen during bootup). Then any program such as Photoshop that is color-profile aware (not all programs are color-aware) will use the monitor profile to give accurate color to your images while in that program.

    If you don't use a colorimeter/spectro to calibrate/profile your monitor, you can't get accurate color. Trying to do it by eye can be very deceptive.


    Bob frost
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    28 Nov 2015 #10

    BTW, an old notorious bug in "Windows Image and Fax Viewer" is still there in Windows 10: once "Use Windows display calibration" option is enabled, that program begins to display overly dark images.

    I presume that Microsoft simply abandoned any development or support of the viewer, since in Windows 10 it gets replaced with universal Photos app. The latter does not suffer from this problem. However, even in Windows 10 "Windows Image and Fax Viewer" remains the default program for displaying TIFF files. Since Photos can display TIFF as well, it makes sense to re-associate TIFF files with Photos.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Enable or Disable Adobe Flash Player in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. ...
Adobe lightroom 6 in Software and Apps
I'm about to buy Lightroom 6 for my PC and would like to know if there are any problems with running it on W10?
Source: Windows 10 UWP app templates for Adobe Photoshop | Building Apps for Windows
I dont have adobe flash on my laptop, how do i stop this annoying update from trying to install on my laptop? Everytime i reboot it tries to install it and fails it's getting pretty frustrating now. It keeps writing itself on my registry too it's...
Adobe Flash in Browsers and Email
I keep getting a notice from Adobe Flash stating that I need to install a critical update in W10 Preview 9879. But it cannot be installed, see attachment. Has anyone else had this problem ? and should one need to download Flash in W10.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08.
Find Us