Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    25 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10

    Upgrade panic


    I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 today and got nothing but problems. The new OS couldn't find my wireless printer, Internet connectivity slowed to a crawl (while my other devices still hummed along at top speed), it couldn't install a couple of important programs (not compatible with 10, it said), and ... I panicked. I reverted back to 8.1 in less than an hour because I HAD to use that printer for scanning immediately.

    Should I wait until Windows gets more bugs out of 10? Try again when I have enough time to slog through all the adjustments and conflicts? I mean, I couldn't even Google-search solutions because It took10 minutes (seriously) to load a single web page. Did it take you guys a long time to sort through the conflicts and bugs?

    Dell XPS27
    Back to Windows 8.1
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    25 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,567
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.125

    No when I upgraded I was one of the lucky ones.
    I had backed up all my drivers before hand and it went start in to Wi-Fi and my Wi-Fi printer.
    When it told you it could not install a couple of important programs what ones was it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 73
    Window 10 Home 64bit

    Sometimes, one will need to reinstall either Drivers, and or device Software. I've had to do it enough times that it is one aspect I keep on the troubleshooting list.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,893
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 today and got nothing but problems. The new OS couldn't find my wireless printer, Internet connectivity slowed to a crawl (while my other devices still hummed along at top speed), it couldn't install a couple of important programs (not compatible with 10, it said), and ... I panicked. I reverted back to 8.1 in less than an hour because I HAD to use that printer for scanning immediately.

    Should I wait until Windows gets more bugs out of 10? Try again when I have enough time to slog through all the adjustments and conflicts? I mean, I couldn't even Google-search solutions because It took10 minutes (seriously) to load a single web page. Did it take you guys a long time to sort through the conflicts and bugs?

    Dell XPS27
    Back to Windows 8.1
    First and foremost, now that you are back to Win 8.1, make sure your Windows Update is set at MANUAL.
    Whenever there are updates available, look over the list. Make sure you won't reinstall Windows 10 until you are ready to do so.
    If you set it at Automatic, Windows 10 will get downloaded to your computer again without your consent.

    As to when you should take a 2nd plunge, it's really up to you.
    If this computer is essential for work, to make a living, I would think hard before reinstalling Windows 10 again.
    Free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is good till July 29th, 2016.
    You have lots of time to wait-and-see.
    Don't do it because others are doing it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    26 Nov 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    England
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    Should I wait until Windows gets more bugs out of 10? Try again when I have enough time to slog through all the adjustments and conflicts? I mean, I couldn't even Google-search solutions because It took10 minutes (seriously) to load a single web page. Did it take you guys a long time to sort through the conflicts and bugs?
    It isn't really a case of Microsoft ironing out bugs with Windows 10. If you'd have taken a little time to research which of your important programs were actually compatibile with Windows 10 as well as which drivers you would have needed to update, you wouldn't have had any of these problems or you could have held off upgrading.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    26 Nov 2015 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I think that's good advice, davidhk. I'll wait a bit, although I'd like to upgrade eventually. And yes, I always have updates require my permission.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    First and foremost, now that you are back to Win 8.1, make sure your Windows Update is set at MANUAL.
    Whenever there are updates available, look over the list. Make sure you won't reinstall Windows 10 until you are ready to do so.
    If you set it at Automatic, Windows 10 will get downloaded to your computer again without your consent.

    As to when you should take a 2nd plunge, it's really up to you.
    If this computer is essential for work, to make a living, I would think hard before reinstalling Windows 10 again.
    Free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is good till July 29th, 2016.
    You have lots of time to wait-and-see.
    Don't do it because others are doing it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    26 Nov 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    During the update, it gave me quick popups that cited 3 programs as not compatible with Ten. The only one I focused on was Final Draft, and because I write screenplays, I need that to work. That's one reason a reverted back to 8.1. The main reason was because of the connectivity issues with my printer and wireless. I'm sure I can resolve the connectivity issues, but Final Draft is a pricey program. I'll do more research to see if I can find a workaround before I upgrade again.

    Quote Originally Posted by hTconeM9user View Post
    No when I upgraded I was one of the lucky ones.
    I had backed up all my drivers before hand and it went start in to Wi-Fi and my Wi-Fi printer.
    When it told you it could not install a couple of important programs what ones was it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    26 Nov 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,893
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    I think that's good advice, davidhk. I'll wait a bit, although I'd like to upgrade eventually. And yes, I always have updates require my permission.
    You know. If you are really itching to try out Win 10, why not either do a dual boot, or install a virtual machine and put Win 10 into it.
    That way, worse comes to worst, you can just delete it and your Win 8.1 will be there and unaffected at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    26 Nov 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I did Google-search for known issues and problems with Ten for a few weeks before finally deciding to upgrade, and I read about many such issues and problems, but I didn't see anything that said Final Draft was not compatible, nor did I see anything about wireless connections slowing to worse-than-dialup speed. I did see bits about wireless printers needing some tweaking, and I figured I could resolve that, but I suddenly had a need to use the printer-PC interface immediately, so I reverted to 8.1. I will upgrade to Ten again in the near future, after (as you say) I do "a little research."

    Quote Originally Posted by edobson View Post
    It isn't really a case of Microsoft ironing out bugs with Windows 10. If you'd have taken a little time to research which of your important programs were actually compatibile with Windows 10 as well as which drivers you would have needed to update, you wouldn't have had any of these problems or you could have held off upgrading.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    26 Nov 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    England
    Posts : 24
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Ah well, that's fair enough then. Your original post didn't mention that you'd done any research prior so I assumed that you didn't, apologies.

    I'm not too sure about Final Draft or wireless printers, but your slow internet connection could potentially be down to just wireless drivers needing an update, you could bear that in mind before attempting an upgrade again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
General Support
re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade
I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is...
General Support
10 upgrade failed, clean installed 7 but now cant upgrade again.
Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Upgrade i dont get tray icon windows upgrade
my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade
Installation and Upgrade
W10 Insider Prev upgrade to Win10 full vs of W7/8 upgrade to W10
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums