Windows 10: Can I delete the recovery partition?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    24 Nov 2015 #21

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Incorrect. A clean install will create it's own recovery partition.
    That's not totally true . If one just formats the drive you will end up something like how I have mine .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdrive.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	50354
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Nov 2015 #22

    sn00ker said: View Post
    That's not totally true . If one just formats the drive you will end up something like how I have mine .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cdrive.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	50354
    I stand corrected then!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,135
    Windows 10 Professional
       24 Nov 2015 #23

    If I format/delete all my partitions...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	50407

    ... and perform a clean install, I end up with this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000026.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	50408

    ... if I perform an upgrade install, I end up with the likes of this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000021.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	50409
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    25 Nov 2015 #24

    Edwin said: View Post
    If I format/delete all my partitions...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	50407

    ... and perform a clean install, I end up with this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000026.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	50408

    ... if I perform an upgrade install, I end up with the likes of this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000021.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	50409
    It's correct, if you choose it that way. Though, I use an external driver and perform the delete / format options. This will allow just the one partition when you do the install

    Actually I like to use a software call kill disk on my drives and then format
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       25 Nov 2015 #25

    sn00ker said: View Post
    It's correct, if you choose it that way. Though, I use an external driver and perform the delete / format options. This will allow just the one partition when you do the install
    Just curious @sn00ker - this is covered in Brink's tutorial (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html) in the notes near end of Step 12 for installing Win10 without UEFI. I guess by definition, you can't do this for UEFI boot without having at least an EFI partition?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    25 Nov 2015 #26

    Word Man said: View Post
    Just curious @sn00ker - this is covered in Brink's tutorial (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html) in the notes near end of Step 12 for installing Win10 without UEFI. I guess by definition, you can't do this for UEFI boot without having at least an EFI partition?
    Good point there Word Man, thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 Apr 2016 #27

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Incorrect. A clean install will create it's own recovery partition.



    Exactly. A Windows 10 installation USB/DVD will do everything the standard Windows 10 created recovery partition will.



    In post #7, the first partition on the disk is NOT a recovery partition. It is an EFI System Partition. BIG difference! Delete that partition and the system will stop booting until it is fixed. The 4 remaining recovery partitions can be deleted but the user will lose the ability to boot into the advance troubleshooting menu and reload the original factory software. A Windows 10 Install USB/DVD will do everything in the advanced troubleshooting menu, but still won't be able to load the original factory software. The only original factory software that I keep a copy of is Windows with Bing - because ISO's for that are impossible to find. But those images are kept as Macrium Reflect Images on external storage, not recovery partitions.
    I have a similar issue. I have a 300MB EFI System partition and 3 recovery partitions; 450MB, 900MB, and 20GB. How can all 3 recovery partitions be relevant?

    I would like to clean these up before putting this to rest. I know I could get rid of them with a clean install in 10, but I just got done doing the install. I would prefer not to have to go through with that all over again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    11 Apr 2016 #28

    SJMaye said: View Post
    I have a similar issue. I have a 300MB EFI System partition and 3 recovery partitions; 450MB, 900MB, and 20GB. How can all 3 recovery partitions be relevant?

    I would like to clean these up before putting this to rest. I know I could get rid of them with a clean install in 10, but I just got done doing the install. I would prefer not to have to go through with that all over again.
    The 20GB on is an old oem partition from old OS, and can be deleted if you do not intend to go back to old OS.

    The 900 MB partition is probably a hangover, and the 450 MB is the one you want to keep (but could be the other way round). If you assign drive letters temporarily to each partition, you can examine file created dates and work out which is newer.

    You can backup the recovery partitions to an external drive using Macrium Refect Free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    11 Apr 2016 #29

    Did it! Thx.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    04 May 2016 #30

    I have a similar issue


    ReneM said: View Post
    After the update to version 1511 build 10586 Windows has created a 450 Mb recovery partition on my SSD drive.

    I have already deleted the created Windows_OLD folder as well as the hidden folder with update files.

    Can I seamlessly and without risk also delete the recovery partition?

    Thanks in advance.

    René
    The issue with me: I have a grub boot-loader, I want to tri boot my system with solaris. Because I use an MBR partitioning table, I can only have 4 primary partitions. Windows recovery partition is an extra partition on my drive that I would rather not have. I was wondering if I can delete my recovery partition ( the assigned boot drive ) and manually boot from the file system partition.

    Answer to my question: I am not hundred percent... probably about 90% sure and 10% untested. In my case, I can probably delete the recovery partition and manually enter the primary windows files-system to be able to boot on the grub boot-loader. The primary file-system for windows has a boot assigned to it, it should work.

    In your case scenario: You can back up your data, delete the recovery partition. I am 100% sure that afterwards, your windows will not boot automatically. In order to boot, you would probably have to press f9 or esc , go to boot manager and boot into your hard drive partition, manually. .. That may work, but I am not 100% sure. The problem nowadays may arise, when you have a GPT partition table for the new bios system. .. Windows * + work with UEFI BIOS that can give you complication. .. So I recommend backing up your data, and make sure the format of your HDD is in MBR partition, before trying. You can also test the theory with Virtualization.. VMWARE.. such. you can delete the recovery partition and try to boot into the virtualized system for testing.... .


    GOOD LUCK
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Last night I wiped out my ASUS T100 tablet to clean install TH2. But there is a 7GB Recovery partition from Windows 8.1 that I can't get rid off using Diskpart. Can someone please assist me? 47974
I didn't know where else to post this weird one. Did the first Win 10 image on a desktop and noticed a Recovery Partition. On one of two desktops. Both desktops were installed with Windows 7 Pro oem updated to 8.0/8.1/10 which means it never had a...
Deleted Recovery Partition in General Support
I have an HP laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 weeks ago and tonight I accidentally reformatted my D: drive recovery partition. I have recovery media on a USB pen drive that I made back when I first set up my...
Making a Recovery Partition? in Installation and Upgrade
The thread above reminded me... My laptop has a partition with Windows 7 on it for recovery purposes. It was a long time ago, but I think I created it from an ISO. I can't even remember how it should be used! Is it possible to create the same...
Solved 250mg recovery partition ? in Installation and Upgrade
Hi, Okay this last install of 9926 installed without the 250mg recovery partition that prior builds have produced ? Anyone else seeing this ? I have since removed the build I had enough looking at it.... But found that interesting the recovery...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.
Find Us