1.    23 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10

    How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?


    Dear experts

    One of the benefits of Windows10 that returned back from Windows7 is the Recent Menus.

    Unfortunately, this feature is associated with the "Most Used" section in the Start Menu.

    As most users, I used Office application frequently, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.

    Word disappeared from the menu without reason, I would like to add it back. How can I do this?

    I know that I can remove some items from the menu, but how can I add some items to this menu?

    N.B.
    After the final release of Windows10, I realized that editing this menu is no longer possible!
    They even do not allow adding any item to the "Most Used" menu if they are pinned to the start menu!!! So I removed all office items from the start menu pin to allow them to be included in the "Most Used" and gain the recent facility, but no luck for Word.

    Can we do this by the RegEdit? How?

    Please help...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,130
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by drnesr View Post

    I know that I can remove some items from the menu, but how can I add some items to this menu?
    How?
    Please help...
    Hi,
    If you create a folder- call it, say '& My Favourites' - which should put it at the top of the list in the start menu- in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    -and put whatever shortcuts you want in it, I would think you would get access to those easily.

    (Personally, the Win 10 start menu is cumbersome and simply doesn't work for me to access my normal start menu folders and subfolders and thus quite inappropriate to what I need).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi,
    If you create a folder- call it, say '& My Favourites' - which should put it at the top of the list in the start menu- in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    -and put whatever shortcuts you want in it, I would think you would get access to those easily.

    (Personally, the Win 10 start menu is cumbersome and simply doesn't work for me to access my normal start menu folders and subfolders and thus quite inappropriate to what I need).
    Thank you for your reply...
    Unfortunately, this is not what I am asking about, I would like to benefit from the left portion in the start menu to access my recent Word, Excel, etc. files.

    Still waiting for an answer...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,130
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    That should add to the left side of your start menu, just not in the area you want.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Nov 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    That should add to the left side of your start menu, just not in the area you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnesr View Post
    Thank you for your reply...
    Unfortunately, this is not what I am asking about, I would like to benefit from the left portion in the start menu to access my recent Word, Excel, etc. files.

    Still waiting for an answer...
    I'm sorry but you can't pin files to the start menu, just folders.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    23 Nov 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,130
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I'm sorry but you can't pin files to the start menu, just folders.
    That is a folder I'm talking about.. I've plenty of those showing from my start menu folders from that location.
    And files (shortcuts) from that folder too....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Nov 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    That is a folder I'm talking about.. I've plenty of those showing from my start menu folders from that location.
    And files (shortcuts) from that folder too....
    Yes.,. you can add folders to the start and then you can have your most frequently used files in there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Nov 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Yes.,. you can add folders to the start and then you can have your most frequently used files in there.
    Could you tell me how?
    Please step by step for the benefit of all readers.
    How to add a folder of the recent MS-Word file to the start menu? and how to add other to the recent MS-Excel files? and so on...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    24 Nov 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,130
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by drnesr View Post
    Could you tell me how?
    Please step by step for the benefit of all readers.
    How to add a folder of the recent MS-Word file to the start menu? and how to add other to the recent MS-Excel files? and so on...
    Hi,
    If you create a folder- call it, say '& My Favourites' - which should put it at the top of the list in the start menu- in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    -and put whatever shortcuts you want in it, I would think you would get access to those easily.

    1. Open explorer (Win key + E)
    2. Cut & paste C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu into the address bar
    3. Hit 'Return'
    4. rt click the pane and create a new folder.
    5. Rename it (e.g.) &Myfavourites
    (& makes sure it's at the top)
    6. Put whatever shortcuts you want into the folder.
    7. Close explorer.
    8. Open the Win 10 Start Menu and look for &Myfavourites

    Someone else may have another suggestion for you. Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Nov 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,567
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.125

    I have word 2016 pinned to the task bar I just click on it when I want it
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved "All Apps" Menu Items Do Not Respond to Right-click
As with the right side of my Start Menu, all icons on my user-installed software picks have also disappeared on the "All Apps" menu. And I am unable to make any of the choices a right-click should offer. Nothing happens if a right-click is used,...
Software and Apps
Unable to change primary IMAP account to "as items arrive"
In Windows 10 Mail app, my Outlook account is set to sync "as items arrive". My Gmail account is set to "based on my usage", but it shows that it is currently using "as items arrive". I want to set my IMAP account to "as items arrive", but that...
Browsers and Email
Solved How to remove certain items from "all apps" list?
Hey all, Another question I have about Windows 10. Back on Windows 7, under the all programs list I was able to delete anything I didn't want listed there. Unfortunately with Windows 10 I can't remove everything. So I am wondering how can I clean...
General Support
Items from "Settings" app not included in Search
Hello, Recently I have a problem with the Search feature. The "Settings" app items like Check for Updates are not included in Search or search box in Settings app anymore, only items from Control Panel are shown. Seems like this problem happened...
General Support
Solved Nagging "Windows Update" Items
I just downloaded Windows latest build 10240 and in the last few Insider Updates many of the issues I had were rectified. Also many of you gave me great information on how to solve the lingering ones. One issue still remains, a nagging one; Windows...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums