Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    18 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 22
    WIN8

    So many services_


    Hello, my pc is full of sevices. It is perhaps ok to have so many sevices
    for free, but is it really necessary? The default security settings was
    kind of low when stating up my new pc, is all services calling themselves
    Microsoft really Microsoft? How to find out which ones to stop, enable or
    eraise? Are all this services slowing down the computer? Is the war out there
    also in here?
    hofkar
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,594
    W10 Insider + Linux

    If they were not important, they would not be there. If you look around you'll see that many are activated "Manual, triggered by..." only and many run just at startup. If you want to, you can check dependencies of each one and than decide if you want them running or not just don't be surprised if anything goes wrong.
    If you look in Task manager you can see which processes take resources and how much.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    18 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,548
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    If they were not important, they would not be there.
    I don't think that is 100% true. There are a lot of apps installed by default that are not important.

    An example of Windows 10 Pro services is the Remote Desktop Server. If the user never plans on logging into his/her computer remotely, then the RDS service would not be important (I think.), but it runs automatically.

    But I haven't went through and messed with services - it runs just fine the way it is, for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Nov 2015 #4

    Remember some of them will be set to manual so that they only run when required. Some are actually disabled by default. So the fact you have a huge list doesn't mean they're all running.

    If you go to services.msc you can see a nice list of all the Windows services.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    18 Nov 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,594
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Indubitably there would be some that some people don't need but that's up to them/us to decide if needed or not because MS can't know what that is exactly. Like everything else it's a bit of compromise.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    18 Nov 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,548
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Indubitably there would be some that some people don't need but that's up to them/us to decide if needed or not because MS can't know what that is exactly. Like everything else it's a bit of compromise.
    And most of the services when not being actively used by a process aren't taking up hardly any resources anyway, just because they are "started".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Nov 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,594
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And most of the services when not being actively used by a process aren't taking up hardly any resources anyway, just because they are "started".
    That's true too ! I don't think I would be able to see difference even if all were turned off. Maybe because windows wouldn't run without them lol.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    18 Nov 2015 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,942
    10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by hofkar View Post
    How to find out which ones to stop, enable or erase?
    Trial and error, no other way, since MS does not share any info. Some are just crazy, like:

    DHCP Client is required by Windows Updates since 8.1, for whatever reason.
    IP Helper is required to login to Microsoft Account (Cortana, Store, User).
    Distributed Link Tracking Client is needed to open system shortcuts.
    Windows Firewall has to be running, so you could use Store Apps.

    Services are a small part really, there are also many Windows Tasks running, some logging and other.

    You can check my disabled services in Windows Services section: [Batch] Windows 10 - Pastebin.com
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 Nov 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 769
    Windows 7

    You might have many services "running" but that is very misleading. Services spend the large majority of their time waiting for something to do, during which time they consume zero CPU time. Memory management in any modern OS is highly dynamic so the memory consumed by an inactive service will be very low. Memory usage of all services together will not be even a minor issue unless you are desperately short on memory. With 4 GB RAM that is highly unlikely to happen very often, probably never.

    The problem with disabling services is that you can't be certain what each one does. All available documentation is incomplete and many services do more than is documented. I have had bad experiences with disabling services and have no wish to repeat them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    18 Nov 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,594
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    You might have many services "running" but that is very misleading. Services spend the large majority of their time waiting for something to do, during which time they consume zero CPU time. Memory management in any modern OS is highly dynamic so the memory consumed by an inactive service will be very low. Memory usage of all services together will not be even a minor issue unless you are desperately short on memory. With 4 GB RAM that is highly unlikely to happen very often, probably never.

    The problem with disabling services is that you can't be certain what each one does. All available documentation is incomplete and many services do more than is documented. I have had bad experiences with disabling services and have no wish to repeat them.
    Take into account also that on 10586 there is memory compacting where unused memory is compacted so resident stuff use even less of "live" memory.
    All together, it's not XP all over again running on much less capable computers. A lot of that misleading stuff comes from those times but times have changed. Similar thinking is still prevailing with new generation SSDs and is becoming more of urban myth than reality.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums