Windows 10: Interesting question here about bricking older hdd's :/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Nov 2014 #21

    BillyBob said: View Post
    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there.

    Hardware defects DO happen and I'm sure it's NOT due to ANY build of Windows -- Ms has 100'000's of employees / contractors world wide -- if a defect in Ms's software causes HDD bricking I'm sure the courts would be flooding with compensation claims as well as info coming out of Ms itself. They aren't the CIA / FSA (Old KGB rebranded) etc so couldn't possibly keep that type of event under wraps.

    People love conspiracy theories but this just isn't the case here. As a sideline into what Humans actually believe vs reality take an example from current day politics --in the UK a few months away from a General Election MORE people apparently believe in the "Loch Ness Monster" than in one of the Politcal Leaders (I think the opposition leader - but not sure). At least whether you like him or loathe him the existence of that person is a FACT which cannot be said of the Loch Ness Monster -- but that still doesn't stop people believing in it.

    From across the pond (in the USA) I believe that a significant number of National Inquirer readers still believe that they were once abducted by Aliens in flying saucers. !!! So again people believe in what they believe regardless of evidence or lack of it in their theories.

    So Factually it's about 100% impossible for a standard OS like Windows to BRICK an HDD -- it could eventually BREAK one - excessive read writes for example but you'd get indications of failure soon enough.

    People will believe in what they will believe - in spite of evidence disproving their theories -- so if you want to blame build 9879 go ahead -- I think though you are wasting your time and just got defective hardware.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I don't know what you Icelanders drink but it must be pretty powerful, I've got no idea what you're talking about or who you're talking to.
    Urban myth | Define Urban myth at Dictionary.com
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Nov 2014 #22

    You must be talking about the Urban Myth that Microsft has 100s of thousands of employees, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for trashing a HDD.

    That's like Apple saying, You're holding it wrong.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Nov 2014 #23

    BillyBob said: View Post
    You must be talking about the Urban Myth that Microsft has 100s of thousands of employees, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for trashing a HDD.

    That's like Apple saying, You're holding it wrong.
    That's no myth, urban or otherwise lol. But it takes a lot of effort to trash HDD by using OS alone, it takes a lot of specialized SW to change firmware in a HDD and apart from electronic or mechanical breakdowns it's very unlikely it could be done by accident. I remember trying to salvage data from some half dead HDDs by changing controller boards on them and flashing same FW on it to match serial numbers so it would work and I can tel you, it was a lot of work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Nov 2014 #24

    CountMike said: View Post
    BillyBob said: View Post
    You must be talking about the Urban Myth that Microsft has 100s of thousands of employees, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for trashing a HDD.

    That's like Apple saying, You're holding it wrong.
    That's no myth, urban or otherwise lol. But it takes a lot of effort to trash HDD by using OS alone, it takes a lot of specialized SW to change firmware in a HDD and apart from electronic or mechanical breakdowns it's very unlikely it could be done by accident. I remember trying to salvage data from some half dead HDDs by changing controller boards on them and flashing same FW on it to match serial numbers so it would work and I can tel you, it was a lot of work.
    I would say continual BSODs and freezing etc can put a bit of strain on an SSD and do quite a bit of damage.

    I had a few spare hours this afternoon and tried repairs with TP and Windows 8.1, didn't work. Tried installing Windows 8.1 straight over the top as a new install, didn't work, formatted one partition and tried again, didn't work. Formatted all 3 partitions and installing, didn't work.

    Fully removed all partitions and installed again, this time it worked, Windows 8.1 and fully updated. Have rebooted a few times and run some apps, no BSODs.

    No matter what anyone thinks, this was caused by 9879 and nothing else, end of story.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Nov 2014 #25

    BillyBob said: View Post
    CountMike said: View Post
    BillyBob said: View Post
    You must be talking about the Urban Myth that Microsft has 100s of thousands of employees, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for trashing a HDD.

    That's like Apple saying, You're holding it wrong.
    That's no myth, urban or otherwise lol. But it takes a lot of effort to trash HDD by using OS alone, it takes a lot of specialized SW to change firmware in a HDD and apart from electronic or mechanical breakdowns it's very unlikely it could be done by accident. I remember trying to salvage data from some half dead HDDs by changing controller boards on them and flashing same FW on it to match serial numbers so it would work and I can tel you, it was a lot of work.
    I would say continual BSODs and freezing etc can put a bit of strain on an SSD and do quite a bit of damage.

    I had a few spare hours this afternoon and tried repairs with TP and Windows 8.1, didn't work. Tried installing Windows 8.1 straight over the top as a new install, didn't work, formatted one partition and tried again, didn't work. Formatted all 3 partitions and installing, didn't work.

    Fully removed all partitions and installed again, this time it worked, Windows 8.1 and fully updated. Have rebooted a few times and run some apps, no BSODs.

    No matter what anyone thinks, this was caused by 9879 and nothing else, end of story.
    File system yes, physically bricking, trashing HDD not likely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    24 Nov 2014 #26

    CountMike said: View Post
    BillyBob said: View Post
    CountMike said: View Post
    BillyBob said: View Post
    You must be talking about the Urban Myth that Microsft has 100s of thousands of employees, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for trashing a HDD.

    That's like Apple saying, You're holding it wrong.
    That's no myth, urban or otherwise lol. But it takes a lot of effort to trash HDD by using OS alone, it takes a lot of specialized SW to change firmware in a HDD and apart from electronic or mechanical breakdowns it's very unlikely it could be done by accident. I remember trying to salvage data from some half dead HDDs by changing controller boards on them and flashing same FW on it to match serial numbers so it would work and I can tel you, it was a lot of work.
    I would say continual BSODs and freezing etc can put a bit of strain on an SSD and do quite a bit of damage.

    I had a few spare hours this afternoon and tried repairs with TP and Windows 8.1, didn't work. Tried installing Windows 8.1 straight over the top as a new install, didn't work, formatted one partition and tried again, didn't work. Formatted all 3 partitions and installing, didn't work.

    Fully removed all partitions and installed again, this time it worked, Windows 8.1 and fully updated. Have rebooted a few times and run some apps, no BSODs.

    No matter what anyone thinks, this was caused by 9879 and nothing else, end of story.
    File system yes, physically bricking, trashing HDD not likely.
    I've never said it was bricked, I said it was very close, trashed absolutely, close to being bricked absolutely, was it 9879, absolutely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    24 Nov 2014 #27

    That certainly may be, it was a large update and changed almost if not all system files judging by it's size and time and way it updated, looked almost like a new or installation or at least like regular installation repair. I'm resigned to it being a beta OS and that all kinds of problems can be expected, that's why it's only my secondary OS. Can't really put all my eggs in that basket, might develop a hole !!!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Nov 2014 #28

    CountMike said: View Post
    That certainly may be, it was a large update and changed almost if not all system files judging by it's size and time and way it updated, looked almost like a new or installation or at least like regular installation repair. I'm resigned to it being a beta OS and that all kinds of problems can be expected, that's why it's only my secondary OS. Can't really put all my eggs in that basket, might develop a hole !!!!
    That's why I bought a new HDD, I didn't want to risk any of my own files, I knew the risk just didn't think it would be this bad. I'm not blaming anyone or Microsoft, it was my choice as many times before.
    When a new release comes out I'll try it again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    24 Nov 2014 #29

    Just keep a drive for it alone when installing Windows and while updating, both, 9860 and 9879 screwed up (temporally) my dual boot so I had to fix it. Next time I'll disconnect other dives while doing that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 4,356
    Win 10 Pro x64
       24 Nov 2014 #30

    BillyBob said: View Post
    CountMike said: View Post
    BillyBob said: View Post
    CountMike said: View Post
    BillyBob said: View Post
    You must be talking about the Urban Myth that Microsft has 100s of thousands of employees, so they couldn't possibly be responsible for trashing a HDD.

    That's like Apple saying, You're holding it wrong.
    That's no myth, urban or otherwise lol. But it takes a lot of effort to trash HDD by using OS alone, it takes a lot of specialized SW to change firmware in a HDD and apart from electronic or mechanical breakdowns it's very unlikely it could be done by accident. I remember trying to salvage data from some half dead HDDs by changing controller boards on them and flashing same FW on it to match serial numbers so it would work and I can tel you, it was a lot of work.
    I would say continual BSODs and freezing etc can put a bit of strain on an SSD and do quite a bit of damage.

    I had a few spare hours this afternoon and tried repairs with TP and Windows 8.1, didn't work. Tried installing Windows 8.1 straight over the top as a new install, didn't work, formatted one partition and tried again, didn't work. Formatted all 3 partitions and installing, didn't work.

    Fully removed all partitions and installed again, this time it worked, Windows 8.1 and fully updated. Have rebooted a few times and run some apps, no BSODs.

    No matter what anyone thinks, this was caused by 9879 and nothing else, end of story.
    File system yes, physically bricking, trashing HDD not likely.
    I've never said it was bricked, I said it was very close, trashed absolutely, close to being bricked absolutely, was it 9879, absolutely.

    What SSD brand and model are we talking about here? I have no problem with Samsung Evo 120GB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Just found this on the MS Windows 10 Specifications page: ~Applications, files and settings will migrate as part of the upgrade, however some applications or settings may not migrate. For Anti-virus and Anti-malware...
This is interesting. in Chillout Room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc
I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have played with it quite a bit. It's definitely interesting but I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:48.
Find Us