Windows 10: Registry issue with new 10586 build.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Nov 2015 #1

    Windows 10 10586 build has a corrupt registry.


    I am on my 3rd format of the day because for some reason using the new build, if I search for a file in regedit it never finishes searching and I have to quit regedit, which causes an appcrash.

    The corruption seems to be in the middle of the registry. If the file I am looking for is near the top then it finds it okay. If I start a file search over half way down it is okay.
    If I start a search that requires the full registry to be searched then it hangs.

    If somebody could try something for me and search for a file in their registry, preferably for a file that does not exist so the registry gets a full sweep to the end and then I know it is not the new 10586 causing the issue.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Sayjimwoo; 14 Nov 2015 at 19:13.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Nov 2015 #2

    No problem here. Tried it twice with no issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    14 Nov 2015 #3

    I'd be checking the HDD for errors for starters.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    14 Nov 2015 #4

    linw said: View Post
    I'd be checking the HDD for errors for starters.
    Thanks for checking guys. This prompted to me to search further. This is the key that is causing the regedit search to hang.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WPN\{577289b6-6e75-11df-86f8-18a905160fe0}

    I have not got a clue what it is or whether I can just delete it. I have only installed the latest build along with the drivers and nothing more. Maybe I need to try the regedit search before every separate driver install if a driver is causing it. My drivers were fine before the November update. Damn.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Nov 2015 #5

    That is a normal key and should not be deleted on the evidence so far. Mine will search to end.

    You need to do a hardware check on your HDD. Download and install HDTune and run the full 'Error check' (untick the Quick option). This will take quite a while.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    14 Nov 2015 #6

    linw said: View Post
    That is a normal key and should not be deleted on the evidence so far. Mine will search to end.

    You need to do a hardware check on your HDD. Download and install HDTune and run the full 'Error check' (untick the Quick option). This will take quite a while.
    Thanks I am running it now. I am getting several registry entries saying "An error is preventing this key from being opened"
    Hence causing the search hang. Strange why this is only happening with the new build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,881
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       14 Nov 2015 #7

    I exported that key from my Win 10 Pro X64 th2 system. You could try deleting the existing one then import the one below.

    WPN.zip

    This is what it looks like:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WPN]
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WPN\{577289b6-6e75-11df-86f8-18a905160fe0}]
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "Flags"=dword:00000001
    Just do a registry backup before doing this or at least create a System Restore Point. You will have to enable System Restore as it's disabled by default.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    14 Nov 2015 #8

    linw said: View Post
    That is a normal key and should not be deleted on the evidence so far. Mine will search to end.

    You need to do a hardware check on your HDD. Download and install HDTune and run the full 'Error check' (untick the Quick option). This will take quite a while.
    Ran the full scan on my SSD and no errors. The only thing I can think of doing is formatting again then complete a file search using regedit. If it completes the full search okay, install the first driver then run a second file search and continue till I find the culprit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    14 Nov 2015 #9

    Ztruker said: View Post
    I exported that key from my Win 10 Pro X64 th2 system. You could try deleting the existing one then import the one below.

    WPN.zip

    This is what it looks like:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WPN]
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WPN\{577289b6-6e75-11df-86f8-18a905160fe0}]
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "Flags"=dword:00000001
    Just do a registry backup before doing this or at least create a System Restore Point. You will have to enable System Restore as it's disabled by default.
    Thanks.
    I just formatted for the 4th time. No drivers installed and I immediately ran a file search in regedit and it hung again. It seems there are more errors in files.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Device classes is full of errors.
    I am really worried and stumped. My drives, ram and motherboard are error free. How can a fresh installation have these registry errors?
    I do not know where to go from here apart from sell/swap parts of my 2000 pc till I find out what's causing it
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Nov 2015 #10

    Wow, that is awful for you.

    Does your system give errors or malfunction other than during a reg search?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Under my C drive, there is $Windows.~BT, and there is the Sources folder. But there is no install.esd inside the Sources folder. I need it to create an ISO file and then burn it to a DVD. This is not the first time I use install.esd to create an...
Here there are: ;) 47178 47179 47180 Soon more!
Build 10586 in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts....
Fixes in Build 10586 in Windows Insider
Here are some things we have fixed: Non issue for me, since I don't use the Movies & TV app
Right now I've got the following set up: fbl_awsome1501 but should it be: fbl_impressive?? 12505 TIA, Jeff :)
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:13.
Find Us