Windows 10: OS/2 Yes, THAT OS/2 is getting an upgrade

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    16 Nov 2015 #21

    PS/2 was a great flop because IBM tried to keep it to themselves only, something like Apple but by that time IBM clones have already taken off, even IBM made their own clone, it was called Patriot. Some good stuff came out of it though, PCI port was developed on the lines of IBM PS/2 ports and PS/2 keyboard/mouse ports are still with us.
    BTW, Atari already had data CD and 3D vision by that time.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       16 Nov 2015 #22

    IBM tried use the Micro-Channel bus but then EISA came out. Never knew IBM made their own clone but genuine bioses were the best for compatibility with software, Phoenix was good too. AMI and Award were more of the cheaper offerings. I still remember memory above 640k, some people used it for Extended Memory and some people used it for Expanded memory with expanded memory being a Lotus/Intel/Microsoft thing. I remember even back in the early 1990's, people called it PC compatible machines or clones then later, it's all basically named after the processor.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Nov 2015 #23

    I still have fondest memories of TOS (Tramiel Operating System) and Atari.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       16 Nov 2015 #24

    I still remember the Sorry Atari commercials from CollecoVision.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Nov 2015 #25

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    I still remember the Sorry Atari commercials from CollecoVision.
    There was a lot of competition those days and that produced some interesting OSs.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       16 Nov 2015 #26

    Even Microsoft had Xenix in those days, it's Unix flavor.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Nov 2015 #27

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    Even Microsoft had Xenix in those days, it's Unix flavor.
    And I hear that they are flirting with Linux developers these days.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 689
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)
       16 Nov 2015 #28

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    IBM tried use the Micro-Channel bus but then EISA came out. Never knew IBM made their own clone but genuine bioses were the best for compatibility with software, Phoenix was good too. AMI and Award were more of the cheaper offerings. I still remember memory above 640k, some people used it for Extended Memory and some people used it for Expanded memory with expanded memory being a Lotus/Intel/Microsoft thing. I remember even back in the early 1990's, people called it PC compatible machines or clones then later, it's all basically named after the processor.
    Compaq was the first "clone" to develop an IBM compatible BIOS. The BIOS was used in their first product, the Compaq Portable. Early clones from Taiwan used the ERSO BIOS.

    Expanded memory could be used to add memory above 640K for 808x cpus, Extended memory could be used to add memory for 80286 and later cpus.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       16 Nov 2015 #29

    CountMike said: View Post
    And I hear that they are flirting with Linux developers these days.
    The entire TCP/IP stack used in Microsoft and other modern operating systems came from BSD Unix. They learned about FreeBSD more when they bought hotmail which was FreeBSD based.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 935
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       16 Nov 2015 #30

    strollin said: View Post
    Compaq was the first "clone" to develop an IBM compatible BIOS. The BIOS was used in their first product, the Compaq Portable. Early clones from Taiwan used the ERSO BIOS.

    Expanded memory could be used to add memory above 640K for 808x cpus, Extended memory could be used to add memory for 80286 and later cpus.
    Forgot all about Houston, TX based CompaQ, never used ERSO.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: Latest security ...
I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is...
Hi All Had Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM-SLP on HP laptop and got the Get Windows 10 icon a few weeks ago. Reserved copy but as it didnt download i went to Microsoft and downloaded the Media Creation tool to upgrade that way. After install all worked...
my bro windows 8.1 pro OEM i dont get tray icon windows upgrade i did click windows update still noting to get tray icon windows 10 upgrade
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.
Find Us