Loud buzzing noise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
       #1

    Loud buzzing noise


    Hello!

    I have a year-old Lenovo G500 laptop, and recently it started doing this loud, buzzing sound quite often, even when there's only one program opened. I checked CPU and disk usage the first few times it happened, but they're fairly low. I'm not really tech-savvy, so I'm not exactly sure if the sound is coming from a fan or is it HDD. I do know for sure that the fan isn't dusty, when I brought it to a tech shop they told me there's no need for a cleaning. I'm sorry if the question is stupid, but the frequent loud sound makes me worried and I can't be sure if it's just laptop's normal sound or not. Any help appreciated.
      My Computer

  2. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #2

    Can be coming from a fan, be first thought even if not dirty can be going bad, something is loose and rubbing on it, also can be power supply which also have fans and or the hard drive. Know which side hard drive is on on laptop. This is not coming from the speakers ? How is it when it is plugged in, does this only happen on a battery ?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Hi, thanks for replying! The noise is coming from the left side, where is also the fan opening, though sometimes when I hear that sound and put my hand near the opening, I don't feel it working and other times I do. Funny thing is, the label on the laptop says 'silent fan'...
    I'm quite sure it's not coming from the speakers, but it happens both when plugged in and on a battery.
      My Computer

  4. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #4

    orbisromanus said:
    Hi, thanks for replying! The noise is coming from the left side, where is also the fan opening, though sometimes when I hear that sound and put my hand near the opening, I don't feel it working and other times I do. Funny thing is, the label on the laptop says 'silent fan'...
    I'm quite sure it's not coming from the speakers, but it happens both when plugged in and on a battery.
    Your welcome. Sounds like it is a fan. Believe if you have a CD ROM would be on other side if it was this also. Mute the volume or lower it all the way, then would know if it was coming from there, put your ear next to speaker. This sounds happens how consistent after awhile of being on ? How old is the laptop ?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Laptop is a year and a few months old. It happens almost instantly, for example, I'll turn the laptop on, go on the Internet and a few minutes later the sound'll start. Even when I close the program immediately after the sound starts, it'll continue for some time. Sometimes it starts even if I'm not doing a thing, or right after I wake it up from sleep, which didn't use to happen before.
      My Computer

  6. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #6

    orbisromanus said:
    Laptop is a year and a few months old. It happens almost instantly, for example, I'll turn the laptop on, go on the Internet and a few minutes later the sound'll start. Even when I close the program immediately after the sound starts, it'll continue for some time. Sometimes it starts even if I'm not doing a thing, or right after I wake it up from sleep, which didn't use to happen before.
    Lenovo still warranty it past a year ? Said you brought it to a place they checked it out and said no need for cleaning, but they did not hear this ? Mentioned if had a CD-ROM would be on other side, can leave it open see if it still occurs only thinking of that as a possible cause instead of fan, Hard Drive or Power supply.
      My Computer


  7. caperjack's Avatar
    Posts : 4,561
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #7

    doesn't matter how old it is ,its electronics ,they break , and fan and cooling fins do get dirty ,tech who said different was wrong . using a can of compressed air to blow out the fins/fan area can be helpful ,it could be dirty enough to cause fan to come on as soon as laptop turns on ,,,if it a bad fan then it needs to be changed to a new one
      My Computer

  8. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,139
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #8

    Yeah, fan is usually culprit, not sure what side each components are on, hard drive, CPU (which has a fan to). Not afraid of opening it if easy enough to take a look get a better listen or try cleaning it out. Bearing on fans can go and cause noise. I thought Laptop fans do not run all the time, may be wrong as you say it happens right away, makes me think a bit on hard drive to or CPU Fan and even if GPU (display adapter) has one.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 8
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thank you both for advices, I'll try cleaning it and see if it helps
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    windows 10
       #10

    orbisromanus said:
    Hello!

    I have a year-old Lenovo G500 laptop, and recently it started doing this loud, buzzing sound quite often, even when there's only one program opened. I checked CPU and disk usage the first few times it happened, but they're fairly low. I'm not really tech-savvy, so I'm not exactly sure if the sound is coming from a fan or is it HDD. I do know for sure that the fan isn't dusty, when I brought it to a tech shop they told me there's no need for a cleaning. I'm sorry if the question is stupid, but the frequent loud sound makes me worried and I can't be sure if it's just laptop's normal sound or not. Any help appreciated.
    I have a 2-yr-old Lenovo Yoga 2 11 and it started making a loud mechanical (not from speaker) noise. The video showing locked up and none of the keyboard buttons would work to shut it down. The power button would not shut it down. I had to let it discharge the battery for a couple hours while making this noise and tried the power button again. This time it turned it off and I was able to boot and operate normally. Have you heard of this problem and do you know the cause or a way to keep it from returning?
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums