Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    18 Nov 2015 #21
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    When was your last clean install before the TH2 build came out? You did a clean install with the TH2 build so that part doesn't matter as TH2 will not have Windows Update telling you to upgrade.
    11/5/15 was i believe last clean install because i bought a new SSD, then did another on 11/13/15 of TH2 with techbench disc. So kind close, huh ? Because, 1 i never received the update via windows update, 2 i wanted to do a clean install of the new build anyway, do not like upgrade like this over the other since a new build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Nov 2015 #22
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    I assume could be reasons i did not get the update through windows update,maybe right, not sure. Stated in FAQ with MS sounds more like has to do with the original upgrade to Win 10 to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 Nov 2015 #23
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 1,005
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    11/5/15 was i believe last clean install because i bought a new SSD, then did another on 11/13/15 of TH2 with techbench disc. So kind close, huh ? Because, 1 i never received the update via windows update, 2 i wanted to do a clean install of the new build anyway, do not like upgrade like this over the other since a new build.
    Those are different as those are kind of like manually installing TH2, I meant Windows Updates won't offer it unless it was installed for more than 30 days. It could just be for liability.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Nov 2015 #24
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    Those are different as those are kind of like manually installing TH2, I meant Windows Updates won't offer it unless it was installed for more than 30 days. It could just be for liability.
    Yeah, think i am getting a bit confused from what you meant, if upgraded they just want to give you the 30 day period to be able to go back to Win 7,8, 8.1. That was the original FAQ might fall in if you clean install, but were already activated since a period over 31 days to Win 10, even being clean install of TH2.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Nov 2015 #25
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 1,005
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Yeah, think i am getting a bit confused from what you meant, if upgraded they just want to give you the 30 day period to be able to go back to Win 7,8, 8.1. That was the original FAQ might fall in if you clean install, but were already activated since a period over 31 days to Win 10, even being clean install of TH2.
    I do agree that reverting is pointless if it's a in-place upgrade install or a clean install since the former, unless someone really hated the IPU, they wouldn't be going back, they can always have something that asks are you certain you want to upgrade. A clean install would have nothing to revert to anyways.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    18 Nov 2015 #26
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    I do agree that reverting is pointless if it's a in-place upgrade install or a clean install since the former, unless someone really hated the IPU, they wouldn't be going back, they can always have something that asks are you certain you want to upgrade. A clean install would have nothing to revert to anyways.
    Exactly but i had no worries clean install of Windows 10 10240 or 105860.3 because i have disc for Windows 8.1 Pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 Nov 2015 #27
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    Did you install dropbox before or after Windows 10? Maybe that makes the difference.
    I have had Dropbox on my computer for a couple of years. I upgraded from Windows 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Nov 2015 #28
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 1,005
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
    Thread Starter
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    25 Nov 2015 #29
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    Quick, simple non-risky solution!


    Quote Originally Posted by trwa View Post
    Had this problem many times on various machines. Found if I just killed the power with critical error message showing, the problem was gone at next boot. This is something Microsoft needs to fix
    Thank you trwa. After many hours trying to fix this and reading a few forums and You Tube solutions I wasn't prepared to try any of the suggested actions which seem risky and not long lasting. Your solution (page 2 #16) worked and I have restarted many times now without any problems.

    **** With the critical error message showing, just hold your computer power button till it powers off. Simple, effective. ****
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    26 Nov 2015 #30
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2
    win 10

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
    Thank you trwa. After many hours trying to fix this and reading a few forums and You Tube solutions I wasn't prepared to try any of the suggested actions which seem risky and not long lasting. Your solution (page 2 #16) worked and I have restarted many times now without any problems.

    **** With the critical error message showing, just hold your computer power button till it powers off. Simple, effective. ****
    If it happens again just restart it again. It is a problem with 10. One of the future updates will fix the issue permanently
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fi
CRITICAL ERROR - Start Menu and CORTANA aren't working. W'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. SIGN OUT NOW I upgraded from WIN 7 SP1 to build 10240 on FAST Track. I did a RECOVERY DRIVE, and after trying to restore from it, I am getting...
General Support
Critical Error - ''Start Menu & Cortana aren't working''
Hi Downloaded Windows 10 over a month ago and it has been working fine since Today I installed the latest version of iTunes and since then I get the following:- Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working - We'll try to fix it...
General Support
Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working".
Hello to all on this forum, I am a new member so this is my first post. Hopefully someone will be able to assist On start up I am getting a Critical error "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". I have read and tried many of the possible...
General Support
"Critical error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working"
Hey, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop last night from 8.1 and it had been working fine this morning. However in the afternoon I got a notification that there had been a driver failure and I should restart to repair it. Ever since I have though...
General Support
Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't Working
I get a bsod with "Critical error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try fix it the next time you sign in." Now I'm no pc tech head or anything so I have no clue Wtf is going on. I can't access anything on my laptop. Help me get rid...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums