Windows 10: Removed Features
So, what's up with some of these "very useful" features being removed?
I mean, i can't remember all of them as i'm writing this topic, but right now i can see that:
Aero glass has been removed, instead we're left with this quasi-aero effect on the taskbar, meanwhile the windows have no transparency at all.
Sound mixer, to control the volumes of each program individually.
Losing the ability to open my computer directly, instead having to use whatever the hell file explorer is.
And for whatever reason, these new streamlined settings menu are actually less detailed than the old ones. Why are they trying to mimic phones settings? Whenever i open the settings menu, i'm instantly reminded of my galaxy's settings menu.
Also, is it just me or the taskbar icons are smaller, even when the small icons option is not selected?
From the top of my head:
- Inability to rename network profiles, especially when you are roaming across different LANs (all you can get is "Network 1", "Network 2" and so on).
- Inability to merge network profiles. Additionally this makes your life harder if you want to manage default printers for multiple locations.
- Changing network type is no longer easy and straightforward and you can only choose between public/private (no "company" type anymore unless it is a domain). It limits your control over firewall rules.
- Limited control over Defender settings (as compared to Windows 7 MSE)
- Very limited control over user experience
- Very limited control over updates
- Dumb, very dumb UI for Settings
- No jumplists for frequently used apps in the Start Menu (supposed to be back in TH2)
Exactly, i know being open minded is good, but what's good about limiting user option?
For the average user, forcing updates is good, since most people just postpone it and miss out on important security updates, but come on, if i'm not the average user, please give me more control over my computer.
I understand most of your rant but will respond only to "having to use whatever the hell file explorer is".
File Explorer in Win8, Win8.1 and Win10 is what was called Windows Explorer in Win7 and earlier versions back to Win95 and File Manager in Win3.11 and earlier, just a name change from what most of us have learned about using Windows. It is a file management application and the heart of Windows, if File Explorer doesn't work properly neither does Windows. If File Explorer opens when Windows is started then usually a setting has been applied or misapplied in the Startup function.
If Aero is really a must for you, just buy Aero Glass for Windows 8. It's a donationware, $3 at the least, I believe. Right click the volume icon. Sound mixer. Voila! Search for Change desktop icons, add Computer to desktop, right click it and click Pin to Start. Voila! The settings are just as "detailed" as the old ones in Control Panel. Give me an example where they are not detailed.
Last edited by You; 04 Nov 2015 at 19:44.
Thank autocorrect for that.
I myself have two biggies, which I've managed to hack into File Explorer by using two seperate hacks, one a .dll which affects File Explorer, and one a re-write of XP's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer software.
- Explorer7fixes.dll restores the...
I have a question, while I know that for foreign language keyboard input which is under Settings -> Time & Language -> Region & language, what is the purpose of the one under Settings -> System -> Apps & Features -> Manage Optional Features as it...
With the last couple of builds it seems that Defender is always finding stuff to remove every time I start Windows 10. This morning I removed Trojan Win32/GHEUGENT.Alplock after Defender quarantined it and marked it severe. Right now I am running...
I decide go back to windows 7 & Lubuntu for my needs. If Microsoft offers it for free or very low cost I might consider getting Windows 10 or whatever it might called. Posters, thank you for all your help. :)