Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

  1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,454
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       10 Nov 2014 #31

    What in the end turned out to be a simple problem to solve has turned out to be a minefield according to some responses.
    If only members who queried my problem took the time to read carefully my posts they would have realised the questions they were asking had already been answered.
    Avast 2015 was released on Oct 22nd and yes I did check network security prior to my W10 install
    As for my being ignorant I suppose over 30 years of daily use of M$ O/S's from DOS in the early 1980,s to the present W10 Preview does not count.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       13 Nov 2014 #32

    Mystere & dencal, you both could try the shields up test at grc.com wouldn't that show what port Microsoft listening on? Then try another firewall to block Microsoft port temporally. The issue could be both Microsoft & Avast, that my out of the box thinking.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       13 Nov 2014 #33

    groze said: View Post
    Mystere & dencal, you both could try the shields up test at grc.com wouldn't that show what port Microsoft listening on? Then try another firewall to block Microsoft port temporally. The issue could be both Microsoft & Avast, that my out of the box thinking.
    Oh, don't get me started on grc.com. That charlatan is still around? I'll let others tell the tale... Long story short, don't trust anything that Steve Gibson says or gives you...

    Errata: Steve Gibson
    Radsoft — Industrial Strength Software
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       13 Nov 2014 #34

    Mystere said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    Mystere & dencal, you both could try the shields up test at grc.com wouldn't that show what port Microsoft listening on? Then try another firewall to block Microsoft port temporally. The issue could be both Microsoft & Avast, that my out of the box thinking.
    Oh, don't get me started on grc.com. That charlatan is still around? I'll let others tell the tale... Long story short, don't trust anything that Steve Gibson says or gives you...

    Errata: Steve Gibson
    Radsoft — Industrial Strength Software

    I really don't know the story behind this or it is true or not. From my view point it looks like Microsoft & Grc just disagree.

    The reason I used shields up it was recommend by a lot of protection companies and even some Internet service providers. Shields up is still there.

    There is one way you can prove or disprove Shields up works. Microsoft claims there listening, test it out on GRC. If Microsoft uses a non standard port, then you can enter it in manually. Now, I would try it, but I removed windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 2,920
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       13 Nov 2014 #35

    Mystere said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    Mystere & dencal, you both could try the shields up test at grc.com wouldn't that show what port Microsoft listening on? Then try another firewall to block Microsoft port temporally. The issue could be both Microsoft & Avast, that my out of the box thinking.
    Oh, don't get me started on grc.com. That charlatan is still around? I'll let others tell the tale... Long story short, don't trust anything that Steve Gibson says or gives you...

    Errata: Steve Gibson
    Radsoft — Industrial Strength Software
    I think your safe, not sure where he is today ,but if you look at the site his famous spinrite program is still only showing its for winxp
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       14 Nov 2014 #36

    groze said: View Post
    I really don't know the story behind this or it is true or not. From my view point it looks like Microsoft & Grc just disagree.
    What does Microsoft have to do with anything? Did you actually read the links? There's a ton of info out there, and used to be an entire site called grcsucks.com
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       14 Nov 2014 #37

    Now you know I'm stupid because I'm going to post now.

    To the core.
    Microsofts very young test operating system (W-10) and the new Avast don't play well together at this time.
    I would suggest using Defender during this test period.
    Avast I'm sure is doing a lot of testing to make sure their product will be ready for the release of Windows 10.

    I'm no genus so I will let Microsoft and Avast work the problems out.

    Does Microsoft gather information from our W-10 computer; I'm thinking yes they do but I can't prove it.
    Hopefully the information they gather is information needed to come up with a outstanding W-10. I can't prove that either.

    Now do I care; NO.
    I volunteered to do this testing. It was not forced on me. I fully expect Microsoft to do some peaking at my system.
    If one doesn't want Microsoft to peak into ones use of W-10 just remove W-10 and be happy.

    I full expect some programs not to work with W-10 at this stage of the game.
    Don't use those programs at this time. Try something else and be happy.

    Being a stupid person I believe it will all come out in the wash we just have to wait for laundry day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       14 Nov 2014 #38

    ^^ Well put and I fully agree. W-10 is doing just what I need it to do at the moment and I'm happy with it!!

    I'm using it as my primary OS right now(Build 9879) but if I want total security I can boot up Netrunner 14 from a live DVD and I'm all set.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       14 Nov 2014 #39

    Mystere said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    I really don't know the story behind this or it is true or not. From my view point it looks like Microsoft & Grc just disagree.
    What does Microsoft have to do with anything? Did you actually read the links? There's a ton of info out there, and used to be an entire site called grcsucks.com

    Yes, I read the articles but I can find several sites that support him as well including wiki. Maybe not quite wiki, at least it wasn't biased and was more respectful. The wiki article was neutral. That they way I am, I am neutral on this.

    As far as shields-up. I use it because it has been recommend by mvps, isp, firewall makers and antivirus companies. You have to use it correctly though. It won't work right if you are behind a proxy. If recall correctly, he doesn't make the software listed on his site. The software that is his is made by someone else on his behalf, other software he just links too or has permission to put on his site.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bing leads adoption of safe preference for child safety
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums