Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    09 Nov 2014 #21
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 19,100
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    On mine SFC & DISM are automatic
    They run in the background the same as it does for Defrag and whatever else during maintenance

    Never tried running them manually, as I have seen them run on their own in task manager
    Paul: I checked TaskScheduler and only see WinSAT under Maint (Defrag is a seperate task)
    Do you see Event logs showing that SFC and DISM ran or are there TaskScheduler enteris (what category?)

    I'm wondering if what you're seeing is part of the Tech Preview process (check for preview builds) or part of Win10.

    Curious minds want to know

    Bill
    .
    The background processes and what they do go a little over my head at times, I am using 10 in a VM and only have 1GB allocated to it, which normally works reasonably well, but when the maintenance kicks in it does get sluggish

    When I have looked a task manager when this happens it has had, both with quite high CPU use and disc activity

    DISM - and some words after I cant remember
    System File Checker

    These could be for different things I don't know, but they sound the same, looked in event viewer and scheduled tasks but cannot find anything

    I will watch out for them next time and get a screen grab
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Nov 2014 #22
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 34,693
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
    This is what I get no matter how many time I run it.
    Thanks for that, LB. That copy/paste function in Command Prompt and PowerShell is a great new feature.

    @ dencal

    Just for info:

    HTG Explains: I Have a Router, Do I Need a Firewall?

    Iíll let MrE speak for himself, but he is correct and I do think the warning is at the least confusing. Perhaps it needs rewording. The router does indeed need access to the Net. It should have a firewall as explained in the article I posted. Then, the way I understand it, your ISP has a router that your router is connected to that has a firewall, therefore not everyone should have access to your router, save your ISP, which should be trusted. E.g. If you donít pay your bill, theyíll unplug your router or disable it or they could temporarily disable all or some routers on the system for maintenance. Your ISP canít get to your device because of a system firewall or at least they shouldnít be able to.

    So far as your 10TP system is concerned; Iíll assume it was configured as a part of your home network thatís why the warning from Avast? Dunno. I would reconfigure that not to be in Home Group. Since Avast canít be loaded Iím quite sure Defender is sufficient. I wouldnít and donít keep personally-sensitive files on my 10TP.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    09 Nov 2014 #23
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,493
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter

    I think I have finally solved this problem, the guilty party Microsoft.
    A condition for installing W10 preview is being able to control the transmission of data. See link below.
    To do so would mean they would be able to bypass the normal security inbuilt by the ISP router.
    If you read the conditions below you will notice that the only way to stop this is by removing W10 completely from the computer affected.
    How did other household computers get compromised, Cloud connection meant data transfer.
    My ISP strongly recommend denying access to outside access, although they do give the option such as for example allowing Microsoft access if one so wishes.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=400912
    Suggestions that this is a W10 versus Avast thread is absurd, I am only interested in maintaining security on all other computers in my household which have not got W10 installed yet operate from the same modem safely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe.PNG  
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    09 Nov 2014 #24
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Hi there. Chkdsk nor Windows Resource Protection (Windows) has nothing to do with antivirus, however WRP it is a safety feature of the Windows system. Chkdsk is to fix disk errors. What exactly is the warning did it give?

    Scannow cannot fix files because the store is corrupt. Please run www.eightforums.com/showthread.php?t=26512 to fix, then run scannow until errors are fixed. It may take multiple times to do so.
    Your above link is not recognised by W10.
    That command is a PowerShell command that must be run in a PowerShell prompt, not a command prompt.

    Notice that step 1 was:

    Open an elevated PowerShell.

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    You are of course wrong stating that my router should be accessible to all and sundry to gain access to my computer and all details therein, that's what firewalls are there for.
    Thanks to the warnings given by Avast as shown in my original post I have been able to rectify it.
    How ? By clicking on "disable access to your router from internet" under the word Solution...see attachment first post.
    How was it enabled in the first place ? it can only be either Windows 10 TP or my broadband supplier to gain info.
    You are of course wrong stating that I said that, which I did not. You completely misunderstood the point I was making, which was that if your router is not accessible to the internet, you won't be able to access the internet. Your firewall is built into your router. So, by definition, your firewall and thus your router are accessible to the internet.

    My point was that Avast's message was too "dumbed down" to have any real meaning, and did not adequately explain what the real problem was, instead it said something vague that didn't make any sense because of what I said above.

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    I think I have finally solved this problem, the guilty party Microsoft.
    A condition for installing Windows 10 preview is being able to control the transmission of data. See link below.
    To do so would mean they would be able to bypass the normal security inbuilt by the ISP router.
    If you read the conditions below you will notice that the only way to stop this is by removing Windows 10 completely from the computer affected.
    How did other household computers get compromised, Cloud connection meant data transfer.
    My ISP strongly recommend denying access to outside access, although they do give the option such as for example allowing Microsoft access if one so wishes.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=400912
    Suggestions that this is a Windows 10 versus Avast thread is absurd, I am only interested in maintaining security on all other computers in my household which have not got Windows 10 installed yet operate from the same modem safely.
    This is complete nonsense. Neither Microsoft, nor Windows 10 can alter the settings of your router unless you have given them your routers administrative user and password. And, since Windows never asks for this information, that would be somewhat difficult.

    Again, the problem here is that this is a new feature that was introduce by Avast at the exact same time as you installed Windows 10. It's a coincidence that you're seeing the error message after installing Windows 10 because Avast did not have this feature before then. You have no way of knowing if it would have said the same thing prior to installing Windows, but you jump to the conclusion that it's Windows 10 anyways.

    You also don't seem to understand that the problem was in your router, not your local machines. Your other household machines were never "compromised", they were simply all reporting the same problem because they all used the same router to access the internet.

    Again, the real problem here is that Avast is too vague on both the error message, and what it "fixed". Maybe all it's doing is enabling your local computers firewall, which is unnecessary if you have a hardware firewall in your router.

    Frankly, I don't see how Avast could "fix" the problem unless you gave it the routers administrative credentials to do so. But again, Avast is being way too vague about what it's actually doing.
    Last edited by Mystere; 09 Nov 2014 at 16:41.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Nov 2014 #25
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    MS doesn't have any control over your Router. You made the change based on Avast's alert - what did Avast say about it?

    If your ISP said lock down your router, undo the change(s) you made following Avast's alert.

    The Win10 agreement basically says
    "Microsoft will collect more information about your system than usual so that we can analyze Windows 10 behavior and faults."

    It doesn't say "Microsoft will open your network" You are the admin of your network, how it is configured determines a lot as to how hard the network is to penetration.

    You decided to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview. If you're not comfortable with early and most likely buggy code, then you probably shouldn't be playing in this sandbox.

    If you posted screen shots or information on what you changed rather than the recommendation to change or the resulting scan after the change - that might help people understand.

    The Avast pic in post#1 clearly states router in a few places - what no one knows is what you changed and where you changed it.

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Nov 2014 #26
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,493
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    This warns me that my router is accessible from the internet on all other computers in the house.
    That warning makes no sense. Of course your router is accessible from the internet. How else would the internet work? Your router *IS* what gives access to the internet... computers are reporting it.
    What you should have said is "your router has access to the internet" NOT "your router is accessible from the internet".
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    09 Nov 2014 #27
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    This warns me that my router is accessible from the internet on all other computers in the house.
    That warning makes no sense. Of course your router is accessible from the internet. How else would the internet work? Your router *IS* what gives access to the internet... computers are reporting it.
    What you should have said is "your router has access to the internet" NOT "your router is accessible from the internet".
    No. Because that's not true.

    Your router *IS* accessible from the internet. I don't care what Avast is telling you. It is. If it wasn't, YOU could not access the internet. The problem is that this does not tell the whole story. Simply being accessible from the internet is not a problem. Having your router forward data without explicit instructions to do so, is what's a problem. That, however, is too difficult of a concept for Avast to explain to someone who doesn't understand how the internet works.

    Whenever you connect to something on the internet, your router opens up ports on its firewall to allow that access. Otherwise, there would be no way for you to receive data back.

    Your limited knowledge of how routers work leads you to accept what programs designed for non-technical people say at face value, but they are just hiding the technical details from you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Nov 2014 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,493
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    This warns me that my router is accessible from the internet on all other computers in the house.
    That warning makes no sense. Of course your router is accessible from the internet. How else would the internet work? Your router *IS* what gives access to the internet... computers are reporting it.
    What you should have said is "your router has access to the internet" NOT "your router is accessible from the internet".
    No. Because that's not true.

    Your router *IS* accessible from the internet. I don't care what Avast is telling you. It is. If it wasn't, YOU could not access the internet. The problem is that this does not tell the whole story. Simply being accessible from the internet is not a problem. Having your router forward data without explicit instructions to do so, is what's a problem. That, however, is too difficult of a concept for Avast to explain to someone who doesn't understand how the internet works.

    Whenever you connect to something on the internet, your router opens up ports on its firewall to allow that access. Otherwise, there would be no way for you to receive data back.

    Your limited knowledge of how routers work leads you to accept what programs designed for non-technical people say at face value, but they are just hiding the technical details from you.
    Demeaning statements such as your last sentence are based on conceit. Beware the wise man in his conceit, he is worse than a fool. Proverbs.
    All this nonsense concerning Avast "all it did was to warn", if you read my earlier posts by clicking on a link brought me to my ISP router configuration page where I RECONFIGURED IT.
    Avast was installed a month prior to my W10 install and all computers had been checked for home network security and passed before the W10 install, only after was the change observed.
    As for security Microsoft have the ability to access all your private and personal details on your computer in W10.
    Something that even you cannot do.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    09 Nov 2014 #29
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Demeaning statements such as your last sentence are based on conceit. Beware the wise man in his conceit, he is worse than a fool. Proverbs.
    It's not meant to be demeaning. Some words have become negative, but when used in context are not. You have limited knowledge. That much is clear from your writing. I could have used the word "ignorance" as well, both just communicate a fact, not an insult.

    All of us are ignorant about something, or lack knowledge about something. That's not insulting. I'm ignorant of most chemistry, that doesn't make me stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    All this nonsense concerning Avast "all it did was to warn", if you read my earlier posts by clicking on a link brought me to my ISP router configuration page where I RECONFIGURED IT.
    That's not what you said. You said you fixed it "By clicking on "disable access to your router from internet" under the word Solution" and then, as per the rest of your comments, neglected to give any additional information that might have actually been useful in stating what you actually did. You said nothing about going to your router configuration page, or that you reconfigured it. The implication was that Avast fixed the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Avast was installed a month prior to my W10 install and all computers had been checked for home network security and passed before the W10 install, only after was the change observed.
    As for security Microsoft have the ability to access all your private and personal details on your computer in W10.
    Something that even you cannot do.
    You're not listening. The feature that displays that error was introduced by Avast in the 2015 version, which was released on October 30th (a little over a week ago). It did not exist in Avast previously. Therefore, it would have never given you that warning a month ago, because Avast was incapable of doing that scan at that time.

    Here's a blog entry from Avast that describes it:

    https://blog.avast.com/2014/11/04/av...rity-scanning/

    Here's an announcement of the release:

    Avast 2015 Final Version Released | getavast.net

    Why do you seem so intent on blaming Windows 10 for this problem? Why can't you seem to understand the nature of the coincidence of the new scan being introduced at the same time?

    I've repeatedly said, the problem here is that Avast is too vague in its messages, but point in fact.. you're also incredibly vague in describing what you've done, and what you changed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Nov 2014 #30
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Getting back to the original question:

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    Have the latest version Windows 10 Preview 6860.
    The only security feature installed is the inbuilt Defender.
    Other computers in my house are all W8 or W8.1 PRO.

    All other computers have Avast free installed, and with the latest 2015 year version comes a Network Safety Checker.

    This warns me that my router is accessible from the internet on all other computers in the house.

    Q1: Is this due to my W10 installation and the fact that Windows need access to my computer ?

    Q2: And does this compromise the safety of all other computers in the house which all use the same router.

    Q3: Can all the other computers be safeguarded, and how ?
    All answers come with a few questions.

    A1: This comes from a new feature in Avast. Let me say this; I used Avast for a long time and there are usually some fairly ugly bugs in early releases of new versions. It settles down after about two weeks and works well ... but yes Avast can be buggy. The fact that Avast gave you access to your router bothers me more than the the new scan result.

    If I knew what parameter you changed, I or another member might be able to offer some advice. If you're too security concerned to provide details, then I'm afraid members won't be able to provide much help.

    We know that you
    have computers (how many?) that are running Win8 or 8.1
    have one computer running Win10 bld 9860 (physical or virtual machine?)
    the computers are networked (router, switch ??)
    have an ISP (which one??)
    have Avast 2015 (on all machines??)
    Reacted to the results of a new Avast scan (which machine reported it Win10, one of the others?)
    Clicked the "router" button
    Changed some setting on the router (which setting?)
    Ran the Avast scan again and got the all clear signal from Avast.

    A2: No, although how the router and machines are configured with regards to the network does.

    A3 Yes, it depends on configuring your network with high security and protections.

    If you want help with network configuration, then post your network information on your thread. We're blind on this side.

    On the Win10 machine, create a file showing how that machine is configured for IP.
    Open a standard Command Prompt and type:

    ipconfig /all > ipAll.txt
    exit

    Attach the ipAll.txt file form your User folder to a new post.
    Please identify the router make and model and
    please state what configuration parameter your changed
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bing leads adoption of safe preference for child safety
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums