new computer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,254
    10 Pro retail 1909
       #1

    new computer


    My desktop and the wife's laptop are getting old. Times have really changed in the last 4 1/2 years. Dell, I think, no longer makes its own parts. I have dells but they are mavericky. They are always like Mac, a little different and less user friendly.
    I need an opinion from someone who knows hardware and of course software.
    I am confused as to what kind of PC to buy. I don't know if Dell is still the best bet for those who cannot build their own. I need blue tooth which I lost upgrading, a phone modem for faxes, legacy in the UEFI, a solid processor with hyper threading, ? 16 GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, USB 3 mobo, ports for a DVI monitor(mine is going south) and the flash drives which I use a lot, etc.
    I have Office 2010 and an all in one I am happy with.
    I am confused about connectivity as I would like to have the lap receive wirelessly and perhaps and if possible the desktop also. I don't know if this is the NIC or another card. I need a decent video card. I have an nVidia and an ATI and both are OK. I am not a gamer. I bridged my gateway and use my router; the signal is good throughout for both laptop and phones.I am on a pension so have to be prudent but need integrity in the machines I choose. I was going the Chromebook route for cost and it maybe an option for the lap replacement but I still need a solid desktop.
    If I have forgotten something please include it for me and evaluate my ideas. Also, should I buy in store or online?
    TY
    Peter
    P.S. the fewer wires the better. I use Win 10 pro and legacy is a big wish for me.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 193
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    You sound computer savvy enough to build your own system. It won't necessarily be any cheaper in cost but you will have full control over what parts go into it and a little research will yield good choices. Otherwise...
    I've dealt with a lot of systems over the years. I did not like Dell at all in the past and I understand your use of the term 'mavericky' quite well. I think in recent times Dell have improved and I know people who have Dells and are pleased with them. Acer and HP also do well in reviews this year so may be worth looking at. Check online reviews but check several as some are biased. I think you'll find most systems are loaded with all the hardware features that you pointed out, so it may just depend upon what deal you can get at any place. Many PCs have graphics integrated on the motherboard and may well be enough if you're not gaming. No need to buy extra video card.
      My Computer

  3. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,781
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #3

    No offense but I never have liked Dell, but I think HP and Acer are too good brands also. Building your own costs a lot more, and takes a lot of time and planning. To give you just one example of a desktop. I just bought a used (its only 1 year old) HP Envy Phoenix 810-160 tower. This model has all the features you just asked for, plus a 600 watt PS. I got this on Ebay, because buying it new was way too much money for me to spend. This is just one example thou. You have lots of choices, if you spend the time to shop prices, and stay away from Dell. :)
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 46
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       #4

    OldMike65 said:
    No offense but I never have liked Dell, but I think HP and Acer are too good brands also. Building your own costs a lot more, and takes a lot of time and planning. To give you just one example of a desktop. I just bought a used (its only 1 year old) HP Envy Phoenix 810-160 tower. This model has all the features you just asked for, plus a 600 watt PS. I got this on Ebay, because buying it new was way too much money for me to spend. This is just one example thou. You have lots of choices, if you spend the time to shop prices, and stay away from Dell. :)
    If you know what you are doing and where to get the best deals on parts building a PC yourself can save you some money but the real question is it worth the time and effort when there are companies out there that will build you one to your specifications?
      My Computer

  5. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,781
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #5

    Gary said:
    If you know what you are doing and where to get the best deals on parts building a PC yourself can save you some money but the real question is it worth the time and effort when there are companies out there that will build you one to your specifications?
    Yes Gary that is also true, but only point I was trying to make was, for the user to maybe consider a slightly used computer instead of brand new. A person could save hundreds of dollars that way, IF they choose the right deal. New is always nice, but I wanted my computer loaded with certain features. This computer was loaded with everything I wanted, with a monitor too boot!!! That's why I suggested to shop around, take your time, and look at all your choices. Took me over a year of looking before I found this deal. :)
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 46
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       #6

    OldMike65 said:
    Yes Gary that is also true, but only point I was trying to make was, for the user to maybe consider a slightly used computer instead of brand new. A person could save hundreds of dollars that way, IF they choose the right deal. New is always nice, but I wanted my computer loaded with certain features. This computer was loaded with everything I wanted, with a monitor too boot!!! That's why I suggested to shop around, take your time, and look at all your choices. Took me over a year of looking before I found this deal. :)
    It could have taken you about 1 hour at this site I will post where you can get your PC built to your exact specifications and it comes with a warranty. I do not buy used cars or PC's. You do not know what was done to that PC before you bought it. It could have had parts replaced and so on. If you buy new, you know what you are getting and can spend as little or as much as you want. You got a very good deal but not everyone does. Take a gander at this site below:

    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 471
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    I would not go for a Dell or any other big pc brand out there. They just use too much oem hardware in their pcs. Those machines tend to turn into a nightmare as soon as you want/ have to replace certain parts. And very often driver support is also lousy for such hardware. If you cannot build a pc yourself I'd entrust one of the many resellers who build custom pcs for their clients. They usually use retail parts which are far more compatible to any future upgrades you might want to do one day and driver support is also a lot better.
      My Computer

  8. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,781
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #8

    Gary said:
    It could have taken you about 1 hour at this site I will post where you can get your PC built to your exact specifications and it comes with a warranty. I do not buy used cars or PC's. You do not know what was done to that PC before you bought it. It could have had parts replaced and so on. If you buy new, you know what you are getting and can spend as little or as much as you want. You got a very good deal but not everyone does. Take a gander at this site below:

    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
    Ok I took a quick peek, already saw a computer that is on sale, with no where near the spec's of my USED computer, for 1100 bucks!! No monitor either. I also don't like New cars, would and never will ever buy a new car.....big waste of money. BUT we don't always agree on some things ...hehe. I could debate my reasons, but, in this case, I am not going too Gary. If money is no big deal.....then buy new....I just prefer not too on SOME things....not all things thou. :)
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 46
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       #9

    OldMike65 said:
    Ok I took a quick peek, already saw a computer that is on sale, with no where near the spec's of my USED computer, for 1100 bucks!! No monitor either. I also don't like New cars, would and never will ever buy a new car.....big waste of money. BUT we don't always agree on some things ...hehe. I could debate my reasons, but, in this case, I am not going too Gary. If money is no big deal.....then buy new....I just prefer not too on SOME things....not all things thou. :)
    I bought a brand new 2000 Acura TL. It is now 15 years old and has way over 100K miles on it and runs as good as it did the day I bought it. The OP already has a monitor I think, like I said you can get what you want there and like Altae said it is not loaded with generic parts and not loaded with Software that you will never use. Yes you can buy on the cheap, or you can buy something that may last 15 years. But at the rate PC technology is going unless you are into gaming a lower end PC may be the way to go. It all depends on the choice of the buyer. OFF topic, The Mets had a heck of a 1st inning:)
      My Computer

  10. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 107,781
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.964
       #10

    Gary said:
    I bought a brand new 2000 Acura TL. It is now 15 years old and has way over 100K miles on it and runs as good as it did the day I bought it. The OP already has a monitor I think, like I said you can get what you want there and like Altae said it is not loaded with generic parts and not loaded with Software that you will never use. Yes you can buy on the cheap, or you can buy something that may last 15 years. But at the rate PC technology is going unless you are into gaming a lower end PC may be the way to go. It all depends on the choice of the buyer. OFF topic, The Mets had a heck of a 1st inning:)
    Ok...game on......I have a 1997 Buick Riviera, with 189,000 miles on it, runs real well, has a factory supercharger on the motor, that will blow your Acura off the road, and my Buick was listed when new as a luxury Sports Sedan. 18 years old!!! Bought it used 5 years ago.....lol loaded with lots of options. Nice riding built for Maine roads.....which suck....lol....car is built like a tank, heavy, well built, no cheap thin tin, that all new cars are made from, for better gas mileage, and fold up like a beer can when hit. I'll pass on these NEW cars.....thanks, but no thanks.

    Baseball puts me to sleep watching....yawn...
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:45.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums