1.    25 Oct 2015 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12
    Win 7

    wiping out data without removing Win 10


    I want to prepare my desktop before selling it and wipe all personal data. I am aware of tools like DBAN which would wipe out the entire disk including Win 10. I would prefer not to do that.

    On a related note - my desktop is HP - came with Windows 7 - has the disk partitioned to C: and Recovery Image D:. If I do wipe out the entire C: drive, how exactly will I be able to recover Win 7 from D: ? It won't boot, right?

    I realize this question is not Windows 10 specific but I love this forum. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    25 Oct 2015 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,773
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17046

    Hello Dudley,

    If you like, resetting Windows 10 would accomplish wiping your personal data without removing Windows 10. During Windows Setup, you could setup a local account without a password for the new owner to use until they setup their own account.

    Reset Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    25 Oct 2015 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12
    Win 7
    Thread Starter

    Hello Brink and thank you for your answer,

    I really do not want to sound paranoid but just resetting Win 10 would not overwrite the entire disk, right? What I mean is that I understand my current files would not be visible to a regular person but they would be recoverable (or at least some of them) with special software if someone really tried.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Oct 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 493
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    I want to prepare my desktop before selling it and wipe all personal data. I am aware of tools like DBAN which would wipe out the entire disk including Win 10. I would prefer not to do that.

    On a related note - my desktop is HP - came with Windows 7 - has the disk partitioned to C: and Recovery Image D:. If I do wipe out the entire C: drive, how exactly will I be able to recover Win 7 from D: ? It won't boot, right?

    I realize this question is not Windows 10 specific but I love this forum. Thanks.
    The Recovery Partition requires a utility in C:\ to start the recovery to 7. That is what is wiped out when you upgrade to a newer OS. You would need to contact HP for a download of the utility before the Recovery Partition would be usable again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Oct 2015 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,773
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17046

    Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Hello Brink and thank you for your answer,

    I really do not want to sound paranoid but just resetting Win 10 would not overwrite the entire disk, right? What I mean is that I understand my current files would not be visible to a regular person but they would be recoverable (or at least some of them) with special software if someone really tried.
    It won't do a secure erase of the drive, but the data will pretty much be unrecoverable by the average Joe.

    Otherwise, you'll need to do a full clean install instead.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    25 Oct 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    SoCal, USA
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    It won't do a secure erase of the drive, but the data will pretty much be unrecoverable by the average Joe.

    Otherwise, you'll need to do a full clean install instead.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
    And you can do that without having to worry about Windows activation (since it has already been activated). You'll read that in the tutorial, but thought I'd add to what Sean said and post it here too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Wiping a Win7 computer. Fastest way to get up to 10?
So I got a hand-me-down computer from work that is off lease running Win7 Enterprise. I have a retail Win7 key and want to start this thing over from scratch. Do I need to do a full install of Win7, activate it, do 2-3 hours of windows updates,...
Installation and Upgrade
Removing your data from microsoft
A while, back, I used to let Microsoft collect data about me. How can I delete that data from Microsoft ? (Typing and inking data, etc ...) I still want to have a Microsoft account, but get rid of all my data. I can trust companies with that no...
General Support
Query about removing data
Hi all, I have a surface pro 3 and i also have a few other cheaper tablets such as a linx 10 inch tablet etc. I am wondering if anyone knows of any software other than airwatch where you can install it and it would remove any data you had on it....
Software and Apps
Product key after wiping
Can i still use my product key that microsoft gave to activate window 10 ,after i wipe my hard-drive?...I was thinking about selling my computer......I have already activate window 10 ,but i know after wiping the hard-drive,i would have to...
Installation and Upgrade
Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS?
Hello Everyone, Once or twice a year I wipe my whole PC and it is time to do another one. I usually install a full version of XP then upgrade to win 8.1. Do I need to still do that or can I just pop in Windows 10 Bootable disc to start the re...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums