Windows 10: Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    18 Oct 2015 #1

    Tray Icons and Windows Start button stops working.


    The Tray icons and Windows start button stop working at random times, when this happens nothing shows up when i click the icons.
    Does anyone know a fix for this issue?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,021
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       18 Oct 2015 #2

    Welcome to Ten-Forums

    Did you upgrade to Windows 10 and how or did you buy a PC with it on it ? How long has this been happening ?
    Have you been able to do any Windows updates before this happened ? Make sure have updates for windows up to October.
    Have you added more apps on taskbar ?

    I would first try at (Admin) command prompt copy and paste this and press enter, let it finish

    sfc /scannow

    Again after other finishes at the same open command prompt copy and paste this and press enter ,let it finish

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    Reboot (restart) after both commands complete, try start menu and taskbar.

    This issue has happened to many in past and this resolution has worked for some can try it after if the first one does not help.

    Using Powershell

    Step 1: On Keyboard Press Windows+R

    Step 2: Type in powershell.exe and hit enter.

    Step 3: Paste the following Command in the Powershell window and hit enter.

    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    Step 4: Wait for the process to finish and complete the command, may see some red errors just let it finish.

    Step 5: Restart PC, then try Start Menu and Taskbar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    18 Oct 2015 #3

    jds63 said: View Post
    Welcome to Ten-Forums

    Did you upgrade to Windows 10 and how or did you buy a PC with it on it ? How long has this been happening ?
    Have you been able to do any Windows updates before this happened ? Make sure have updates for windows up to October.
    Have you added more apps on taskbar ?

    I would first try at (Admin) command prompt copy and paste this and press enter, let it finish

    sfc /scannow

    Again after other finishes at the same open command prompt copy and paste this and press enter ,let it finish

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    Reboot (restart) after both commands complete, try start menu and taskbar.

    This issue has happened to many in past and this resolution has worked for some can try it after if the first one does not help.

    Using Powershell

    Step 1: On Keyboard Press Windows+R

    Step 2: Type in powershell.exe and hit enter.

    Step 3: Paste the following Command in the Powershell window and hit enter.

    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    Step 4: Wait for the process to finish and complete the command, may see some red errors just let it finish.

    Step 5: Restart PC, then try Start Menu and Taskbar.

    I did upgrade from 8.1.
    Has been happening since thhe update.
    Updating seems to be working fine.
    I added Crome to the taskbar.

    Will try those fixes as soon as it happens again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 21,907
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       18 Oct 2015 #4

    If after you try those fixes, and later the same problem happens again, you might just want to start thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 10. I had those same problems myself, and I didn't really want to do a clean install, but after a while, I decided to finally do the clean install and since then, computer has been running better and even a lil faster than before. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Take care, Mike.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    18 Oct 2015 #5

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    If after you try those fixes, and later the same problem happens again, you might just want to start thinking about doing a clean install of Windows 10. I had those same problems myself, and I didn't really want to do a clean install, but after a while, I decided to finally do the clean install and since then, computer has been running better and even a lil faster than before. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Take care, Mike.
    what do you mean with "Clean Instal"? I installed windows 10 when i got the message.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,021
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       18 Oct 2015 #6

    PietJetse said: View Post
    what do you mean with "Clean Instal"? I installed windows 10 when i got the message.
    You upgraded over the existing operating system, keeping it also there to go back to it, clean install will wipe that cleanly off and allow you to have just fresh copy and Windows 10 on the PC. You will loose all settings and installed software have to reinstall it again along with system and hardware drivers. Windows 10 - Clean Install


    Can also do an inplace upgrade first or a refresh on Windows 10, inplace upgrade will repair and you will not loose anything as a refresh you will loose software just not settings you made.Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    A reset is also like a clean install.

    This is other alternatives if commands did not work, should always backup any important files and software before any process like this to an external device.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 21,907
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       18 Oct 2015 #7

    You also have another method, doing a clean install without losing your installed apps. This is for a system that has not upgraded to windows 10 yet, but will work for folks that already are running windows 10 also. Just giving you a few ideas.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First[2]=Installation and Setup
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 21,907
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       18 Oct 2015 #8

    But try what jds63 suggested 1st, that might work for you and fix your problems. And like jds63 mentioned do a complete image backup of your c-drive just to be safe. Macrium Reflect is a free app, and does a great job for making the image.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. jds63's Avatar
    Posts : 3,021
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       18 Oct 2015 #9

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    You also have another method, doing a clean install without losing your installed apps. This is for a system that has not upgraded to windows 10 yet, but will work for folks that already are running windows 10 also. Just giving you a few ideas.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First[2]=Installation and Setup
    Never knew this existed yet, thanks for that. Which apps we talking about can only be Windows 10, know can be no way to save third party software that was on PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 21,907
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       18 Oct 2015 #10

    jds63 said: View Post
    Never knew this existed yet, thanks for that. Which apps we talking about can only be Windows 10, know can be no way to save third party software that was on PC.
    If I read it right jds63 it WILL save 3rd party apps. Take a look at some of the replies on Shawn's tutorial
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. Since the update I've run into an issue where, after I've been using my computer for a while and have done a few sleep/wake cycles, I won't be able to put my computer to sleep with the physical power button. It wakes...
Start Button (is it still called that?) & Windows Key Not Working. I've seen other posts about this (example), but there doesn't seem to be any reason given for the problem. I've got this issue on a clean Windows 10 install.
I've recently created a thread stating that Start Menu, Settings and everything on taskbar were not working (such as volume control and wi-fi networks). I reinstalled Windows (clean install) and it was good again until today, when it started again....
Hi Guys, I recently made a clean install of Windows 10. However when I reboot I noticed that the Wi-Fi tray icon wasn't showing any menu. I click it and nothing happened. No list was shown, the only way to connect was to go to This PC...
Start Menu stops working? in General Support
Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums