Windows 10: Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    23 Oct 2014 #11

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    This "update in place" mechanism is a PAIN if it fails during the process -- this means you actually have to restore the previous image of your OS (if you have one), remedy the error and start again.
    I pretty much agree with the sentiment of a continuing update process as opposed to new OS releases as the way future upgrades will be handled.

    It might be nice to have the Source files, especially since we all saw what a mess the 8 to 8.1 upgrade was because of that process.

    But who is to say future upgrades would even be a full version of the OS, so having an .iso would do you no good.

    If Microsoft does go to a online periodic upgrade, possibly paid for, I have no idea how they would implement that. I just know, I don't really like the idea of a yearly lease since that would basically force you to buy a new OS ever 3 years, depending on the yearly cost. But we can only speculate for now, such as would Microsoft offer to backup your system online, for a small fee.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 154
    Windows 10 Technical Preview x64
       23 Oct 2014 #12

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Wasn't the no ISO deliberate, this time around, so they could test the upgrade process? That's the gist of what I've been reading anyway. This way anybody that wants the new build pretty well has to do the upgrade. Well the average Joe anyway. As we can see somebody already figured out a way around it, if your doing more than one PC.
    The ISOs are all over the web, in the usual places, but I would not risk using these! You might get more than you bargained for...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11,254
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 Oct 2014 #13

    Tews said: View Post
    The ISOs are all over the web, in the usual places, but I would not risk using these! You might get more than you bargained for...
    Upgrade one machine to Build 9860, then create your own ISO to be used for clean install: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    23 Oct 2014 #14

    Tews said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Wasn't the no ISO deliberate, this time around, so they could test the upgrade process? That's the gist of what I've been reading anyway. This way anybody that wants the new build pretty well has to do the upgrade. Well the average Joe anyway. As we can see somebody already figured out a way around it, if your doing more than one PC.
    The ISOs are all over the web, in the usual places, but I would not risk using these! You might get more than you bargained for...

    If it's ISO's for this new build they must be home made? It's not even up on MSDN. It wasn't the last time I checked anyway. It's no big deal for me, I can easily go back to 8.1 if it had failed. Or reinstall 10 again. It doesn't take long to install. And for all those that like imaging their system, yeah I know, but I can't be bothered. I have the ESD so I can make an ISO myself if need be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       23 Oct 2014 #15

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    And for all those that like imaging their system, yeah I know, but I can't be bothered. I have the ESD so I can make an ISO myself if need be.
    I upgraded to TP without making a backup and haven't made one since. Come April or when something goes wrong I'll just have to clean install some version or another.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,357
    Win 10 Pro x64
       23 Oct 2014 #16

    adamf said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    And for all those that like imaging their system, yeah I know, but I can't be bothered. I have the ESD so I can make an ISO myself if need be.
    I upgraded to TP without making a backup and haven't made one since. Come April or when something goes wrong I'll just have to clean install some version or another.



    Image backups is not just for the matter of restoring your system. It's for shrinking the time you have to spend if something goes wrong like those upgrade errors that some people are experiencing here. Clean installing can take up to an entire day (incl. reinstalling drivers and all your programs) compared to 30mins maximum with image restoration.

    It only takes 3mins to create image backups with free Macrium.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 733
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       23 Oct 2014 #17

    Granted I'm in a VM on a Laptop, but watching the spinning dots gets old. It's got to be 90 minutes since I hit Install Now and I'm not even to a reboot. I already made an iso and a new VM. Unfortunately it didn't pick up my network hardware.

    The only indication what's up is looking in Task Manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11,254
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 Oct 2014 #18

    Miles, a vm should not use your NIC on host directly but instead use an emulated virtual NIC which connects to host NIC. Which virtualization program you are using?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 733
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       24 Oct 2014 #19

    Kari said: View Post
    Miles, a vm should not use your NIC on host directly but instead use an emulated virtual NIC which connects to host NIC. Which virtualization program you are using?
    I'm using VMWare Player. The previous W10 build there was no issue. I still have this 9860 clean install VM to mess with. I tried to update the 9841 build. I got as far as Almost Ready do not turn off your PC. But I ran out of time. The last screen color change was light blue and it stayed there for over 20 minutes. I suspended it. Later today I'll try to resume and let that VM sit. See if it ever goes to the next step.

    I tell you though, for people who don't care about "Apps" there is way too much install and config. People better buy preloaded and forget about updates unless they can leave the machine in a corner for 3 hours. Way too many counts up to 100% in the update. It's a total waste when you could just hit a check box "I don't want any Apps."

    We'll see what happens. I hope it goes on because the new build seemed more responsive. But with no network I can't do anything with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,349
    Windows 10 Professional
       24 Oct 2014 #20

    MilesAhead said: View Post
    I tell you though, for people who don't care about "Apps" there is way too much install and config.
    If you perform a clean install don't choose 'Express Settings', don't create a Microsoft Account (yet), and turn off ALL Microsoft "Favors".
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
124 votes declined +1 vote Bring back Windows Experience Index!
Bring back the Charms Bar! in General Support
Just curious, how many of you would be in favor of bringing the Charms Bar back to Windows 10? -Chuck
Hi there I have to agree with other posters who say the current W10 search is an absolute DOG - also the fact that I can hardly read the start menu (text size for me too small and I've found no way so far of being able to increase the size of the...
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/183445-windows-8-start-menu-resurrection-delayed-until-next-version-of-windows-in-2015
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00.
Find Us