Windows 10: How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out) Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Oct 2015 #1

    How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out)


    For some unknown reason, the system icon for sound no longer displays on my task bar. I went into Properties, Notification area 'Customize', Turn System Icons On or Off, see that the Volume is turned off, but it's greyed out and I can't turn it on. I can't figure out how to activate this switch so I can flip it on. Anyone know why this might have occurred and how to fix it? Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Oct 2015 #2

    Hi, if you're lucky a simple restart might fix that according to this:
    System Tray- Volume grayed out - Windows 7 Help Forums
    but there's also this for Win 10:
    Windows 10 System Icons in Notification Area Are Grayed Out
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,890
    Win 10 X64 Pro 1803 17751.1
       09 Oct 2015 #3

    Did the sound ever work on the laptop under Windows 10?

    I've gotten a grayed-out control when there were no drivers installed for the sound device.

    If that's your problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. The latest drivers at HP are for Windows 7:

    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe

    (Dated from 2012). You could try them, perhaps installing them in compatibility mode.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 33,168
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18262
       09 Oct 2015 #4

    Hello tohashome, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    Double check to make sure that you have the latest audio driver installed, and see if step 9 in OPTION TWO below may be able to help.

    System Icons - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    10 Oct 2015 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, if you're lucky a simple restart might fix that according to this:
    System Tray- Volume grayed out - Windows 7 Help Forums
    but there's also this for Win 10:
    Windows 10 System Icons in Notification Area Are Grayed Out

    Thanks. Restarting didn't do anything. I also followed the path laid out in the 'Windows 10 System Icons in notification Area Are Greyed Out' link.


    1. Hold down the Windows Key and press the “R” key the bring up the Run window.
    2. Type “regedit“, then select “OK“.
    3. Navigate through the registry to the following location:
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      • Software
      • Classes
      • Local Settings
      • Software
      • Microsoft
      • Windows
      • CurrentVersion
      • TrayNotify

    4. Look for two values. One named “iconstreams” and “PastIconStream“. Right-click and select “Delete” each value to remove them from the registry.

    Everything was going fine until I clicked on the 'CurrentVersion' folder. 'TrayNotify' wasn't listed at all. The only folder displaying was 'Deployment.'
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Oct 2015 #6

    bobkn said: View Post
    Did the sound ever work on the laptop under Windows 10?

    I've gotten a grayed-out control when there were no drivers installed for the sound device.

    If that's your problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. The latest drivers at HP are for Windows 7:

    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe

    (Dated from 2012). You could try them, perhaps installing them in compatibility mode.
    Thanks, but link not found. Not Found

    The requested URL /pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe was not found on this server.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Oct 2015 #7

    bobkn said: View Post
    Did the sound ever work on the laptop under Windows 10?

    I've gotten a grayed-out control when there were no drivers installed for the sound device.

    If that's your problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. The latest drivers at HP are for Windows 7:

    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe

    (Dated from 2012). You could try them, perhaps installing them in compatibility mode.
    Yes, I did used to have a sound icon after the installation of Windows 10. All of a sudden, it wasn't there any longer. Again, I see the toggle is greyed out to flip it on again. I just don't know how to ungrey it so I can activate the icon again. Puzzling.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 6,424
    Windows 10 Pro X64 17134.191
       10 Oct 2015 #8

    I think you clicked on one a wrong reg key, There is no Deployment under TrayNotify:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reged.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	42166
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,890
    Win 10 X64 Pro 1803 17751.1
       11 Oct 2015 #9

    tohashome said: View Post
    Thanks, but link not found. Not Found

    The requested URL /pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe was not found on this server.
    Sorry. I usually check links to verify that they work before allowing a post to stand, but I didn't do it this time.

    The link at the HP support site appears to not work. I didn't find a good link to sp59154.exe, but it may be out there.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 3,419
    10.6 Home 1809 x64
       12 Oct 2015 #10

    Try to run CMD and enter following, then restart.

    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved System icons greyed out in General Support
My system icons icons are greyed out, like Volume and Power, so I can not enable them. After setup they work just fine, then they disappear. It is either caused by my settings or: I wonder, when custom power and sound card drivers gets installed,...
After restoring my computer back two days using System Restore, I noticed in PC Settings>Personalization>Start>Choose which folders appear on Start, that all the options are greyed out except "Settings". I was wondering if there was a way to fix...
I can't find any settings for the same.
Maximize sound won't turn off in General Support
I turned off all system sounds, but I still get this annoying sound every time I enter full screen mode on video players watching a movie. It doesn't seem to be a system sound... maybe a theme sound or whatever?
How do i turn off the windows logoff sound?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07.
Find Us