Windows 10: Can I go from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Home version? Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    02 Oct 2015 #1

    Can I go from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Home version?


    If I have a valid copy of Windows 7 Professional on my computer can I upgrade free to Windows 10 Home.

    There are several people selling Windows 7 Professional on eBay for about $50, but I need the Home version so I can restore my fully configured Windows 10 Home from my primary computer to a brand new custom built backup computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    02 Oct 2015 #2

    socklosk said: View Post
    If I have a valid copy of Windows 7 Professional on my computer can I upgrade free to Windows 10 Home.
    No.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    02 Oct 2015 #3

    I just checked with Microsoft support and they said there would be no problem if Windows 7 is activated. Being Windows 7 Professional is no problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    02 Oct 2015 #4

    socklosk said: View Post
    I just checked with Microsoft support and they said there would be no problem if Windows 7 is activated. Being Windows 7 Professional is no problem.
    OK. Let us know how that works, please. How do you plan on doing the downgrade from Pro to Home?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    02 Oct 2015 #5

    socklosk said: View Post
    I just checked with Microsoft support and they said there would be no problem if Windows 7 is activated. Being Windows 7 Professional is no problem.
    I think you should read this first: Solved Frequently Asked Questions about the Windows 10 Free upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

    Then you will know if you can go from 7 Pro to 10 Home..
    And why do you want to do that in the first place?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    02 Oct 2015 #6

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    And why do you want to do that in the first place?
    This is why:

    socklosk said: View Post
    but I need the Home version so I can restore my fully configured Windows 10 Home from my primary computer to a brand new custom built backup computer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    02 Oct 2015 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    This is why:
    OH,.,, ok..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. JohnC's Avatar
    Posts : 1
    Dual Boot 10 Pro v1607 10 Pro rs2 build 14971
       02 Oct 2015 #8

    There will be a problem with a full restore. Windows 10 activation is tied to the MOBO. You could do a restore of settings, programs and data, but a full restore will end up deactivating the OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    02 Oct 2015 #9

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    OH,.,, ok..
    Agreed!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    02 Oct 2015 #10

    Well, I read what everybody had to say and decided to go for it! $49 for Windows 7 Professional. I think it will do what intended, but you guys will need to wait for the outcome because it's being sent snail mail and it will take about a week for it to get here. But I will post the outcome.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi I joined the Insider Preview Program 4 months ago. I regularly updated all builds but since about 3 weeks, I do not receive any updates. I know that the last build is 10532 but I do not receive those updates. I contacted Microsoft this morning...
Is Windows 10 Home just Windows 10 Pro with some features disabled? So, for example, if I go to change the product key and enter a Pro key, will it be converted or would I have to go through installation again? Thanks.
How do I upgrade windows 10 home 32 bit version to windows 10 home 64 bit version.
I downloaded and burnt the win 10 installation iso file to dvd, if I want to make it like my win 8.1 retail disc do I need to purchase a retail key, for the windows 10? If so how do I go about it? Thanks! :)
Following on from this thread, I wondered if there was an easy way to get 10 Preview to install as the Home, rather than Pro version, so I could have a play and compare features? Ideally I'd want to use an ISO with a VM.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums